Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to this forum, do I apologize in advance if this thread is in the wrong spot.
So I just bought a new 2014 accord LX on Monday, and never realized until I got home, how far forward the driver and passenger headrests are. Is there any quick fix for this? I've read somewhere that people have flipped them around so they're backwards.
Also, are the bars that the headrests are on interchangeable with aftermarket headrests, in case I have to look for replacements?
Thanks everyone in advance! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 2011 is the same way. The most effective fix might be to have an uphostery shop remake yours so that they are just right for you. I chose the 'ignore it and it will go away' approach, which took about 4 days to take effect.

·
Registered
469 Posts
A lot of newer cars are like this (regardless of brand). Something to do with whiplash prevention.

I know in some of the top Acura models (MDX and the flagship sedan) the headrests are completely unobtrusive. The lessor Acuras and Hondas get firmer and more intrusive headrests.

If had more skin on my back, I probably wouldn't care (my whole body would be pushed out further). If I slouched a bit while driving, the headrest becomes less annoying. However, I can barely fit in most cars, as is, and not having to slouch in a car was my primary influence when I was narrowing down which car to buy. As it stands, it's annoying to me, sometimes more so, sometimes less so.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I thought the headrest support was great when I first got in the car. I will say that I drove a Honda Fit before and that car basically forces you to sit straight up to drive so maybe I'm used to it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You should try the 2013 Nissan Altima. Worst head rests ever

Reactions: Grampa

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Try reclining the seatback a little bit. This will move the headrest into a more comfortable position. I had a real problem driving home from the dealer. I realized I hadn't set a good seating position before I left, so I made some adjustments when I got home and the headrest was no longer a problem.

Could be you have the headrest set to low also. Since the top part slants forward, if it is too low, that forward most top part will be closer to your head. I believe headrest are supposed to be set such that the middle of the back of your head matches up with the middle of the headrest.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Try reclining the seatback a little bit. This will move the headrest into a more comfortable position. I had a real problem driving home from the dealer. I realized I hadn't set a good seating position before I left, so I made some adjustments when I got home and the headrest was no longer a problem.

Could be you have the headrest set to low also. Since the top part slants forward, if it is too low, that forward most top part will be closer to your head. I believe headrest are supposed to be set such that the middle of the back of your head matches up with the middle of the headrest.
For me, the top of the headrest is in the middle of my head. Something to do with my torso length. If I slouch, it's fine, but then my back aches for some times afterwards.

·
Registered
234 Posts
For me, the top of the headrest is in the middle of my head. Something to do with my torso length. If I slouch, it's fine, but then my back aches for some times afterwards.
Sounds like raising the headrest would work for you. The headrests don't bother me one bit. I'm 6' 2" 240lbs. I find the interior very comfortable.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sounds like raising the headrest would work for you. The headrests don't bother me one bit. I'm 6' 2" 240lbs. I find the interior very comfortable.
The headrest cannot go any higher, for me.

Trust me, that was one of the first things I did.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try adjusting the headrests higher when I drive tomorrow and see how that goes, I'm 5'9" so maybe that will help. Thanks for all the responses so far, very helpful.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2014 CBP CR2 6MT
127 Posts
Adjust the lumbar support fully forward to align your spine w the headrest per my chiropractor lol. I asked because it was bugging me to but she said it prevents slouching, which may not always be comfortable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
296 Posts
The headrest is not for resting the head, despite the name. They are actually head restraints, and they face forward to reduce whiplash, which is the most common injury in a collision. The angle is to reduce any backwards movement of the head which will strain the neck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HAHAH!!! I thought it was me! I simply pull the headrest out and put back in facing back; turned-it around. It fits and locks, and best, it does not bother now. Good luck!:banana:

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
If had more skin on my back, I probably wouldn't care (my whole body would be pushed out further).
I must fall in this category...only it's not skin. :lmao:

I love the headrest position on my 14 Accord. It actually juts out far enough where my head relaxes against it perfectly.
This is how I feel.

Jay

Reactions: saintpatrick

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Volvo started this years ago. I like it. Protects the neck in a rear ender and with my neck problems I like the support.

Best seats in the world are BMW's "Comfort seat" developed in 1998 and copied by all luxury brands. The upper quarter of the backrest articulates forward to cradle the shoulders and the headrest adjusts independently. It is 22 wa adjustable even on the passenger side. Accord (even on the Touring) has a "4 way adjustable" seat-pitiful. While I don't expect seats from a $90K car in the Accord, my '79 LeSabre had a 6 way adjustable passenger seat so I would at a minimum expect that which includes a height adjust still not on the '14.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few that hate the head rest. I'm either going to find aftermarket ones to replace them or flip them backwards if possible. I've hated all vehicles that have this type of headrest (my parents have an Acura MDX that is worse). I understand when people say your head is not actually resting on it, but to adjust the seat by leaning it backwards is not a solution for me. Then the other comments about position and what their chiropractor said? C'mon. If you're standing, do you lean your head forward? No. So why would I sit in a chair with my head forced forward because of the head rest? If anything, it should have been adjustable. Horrible design.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If you hate the 9th gen's headrest, then you'd loathe the 8th gen's. The 8th gen had the most intrusive headrests of any car I've ever driven. They were so bad that they pushed my head forward at an awkward angle. I had to recline the seatback and drive sitting up straight to avoid extreme discomfort. The funny thing is, I bought the car in the fall and was wearing a jacket that added just enough cushioning to keep me from noticing the headrest. It wasn't until the following spring when the jacket came off that I realized how bad it was. Thankfully, they toned it down quite a bit in the 9th gen to the point that I can actually sit comfortably without a jacket or hoodie on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try finding a little more comfortable driving position. I felt the same way because I had my seat set like my old car, but I've reclined my seat a little more back and the headrest has become quite comfy.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts