Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2014 Accord LX - 66k miles - dealer recommended services

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SR_ 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2014 Accord LX with 66k miles on it. At the last service for oil change the dealer recommended to perform below services soon:
1. Cooling system service - Removes deposits and contamination from cooling system - $ 164
I had performed a coolant flushed at 54k miles (another dealer). Isnt it the same service?

2. Complete fuel system treatment - cleans fuel injectors, throttle plate and intake valves - $ 215
Don't see this service mentioned in the owners manual, I fill fuel from Chevron / Costco or other top teir gas and add techron maybe once/twice a year. Adding fuel injector cleaner to this routine would suffice or do I need this service?

Thank you!

#4 · (Edited)
Agree with Rygrego. Total bullshit. Dealers aren't making money on selling new cars because they can't get enough new car inventory. So they make up for it by selling services you don't need. Find a reliable independent shop. We see several posts per week like yours from owners feeling ripped off by dealers. They ARE being ripped.

#5 ·
I have mixed feelings about this. with DI, there is nothing cleaning the backs of your intake valves from PCV gases and whatnot. the prices quoted sound unrealistically low to be honest. If the engine works fine, maybe don't bother with that service, but if you feel hesitation that wasnt there before, do it. my 2014 had 150k before it wrecked, and I felt it stutter a bit at low throttle sometimes where I would have to rev it higher before letting off the clutch or else it MIGHT stall when going from reverse into 1st. if you did coolant at 55k, you should be done. I'd recommend maybe spark plugs after 8 years but that's just prudence.

#6 ·
Without disassembling the intake manifold, there is no way to clean the back of the intake valves on a DI engine. A professional cleaning on a DI injector may be needed but not at this mileage. As you stated you have already had the coolant system serviced. There are test strips you can use to tell if coolant is good.

In short, you need neither service.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blackheart
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.