Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install an aftermarket stereo in my 2014 Accord Sedan EX-L (no navi).

So, I've spent roughly the last two days looking through the forums, researching YouTube videos, and generally looking for a guide of some sort that can help me understand what it is I need to buy to change my stereo to an aftermarket one and still keep steering controls and I want to keep my dual screen. I'm sure this can be done because I've seen others do it. However, I haven't seen anyone do it with my specific model (2014 EX-L no navi). I've seen it with 2014 Sport and 2014 LX.

Here's what I think I know. First, to keep all the functionality (backup camera, right side camera, FCW) I'll apparently need to keep the original stereo connected but have it tucked away behind the new one (or something like that). Also, I think I'll need a specific connector to be able to keep the steering wheel functionality.

So, I guess I'm asking for a few things:
  • Certainty that I can do what I'm thinking I can do
  • What specific module model do I need in order to keep the steering wheel controls
  • What wiring harness do I need
  • Is there a good guide out there someone can point me to that describes installation as well as the hiding of the original unit, etc (more specifically for my model)
Lastly, I'd like to ask for some opinion's on a good stereo. Here's why I'm switching and what I'd like to be able to do with the unit:
  • 4 second bluetooth lag is driving me insane so I want a good functioning bluetooth
  • Google Play Music (that's my music player of choice). Again though, I'm not too familiar but I understand that stereos now allow you to basically extend all your apps to the touchscreen (or something like that)
  • GPS - this can be through Google Maps as an extended app though
  • I have a toddler who sits in his car seat in the middle, and can clearly see the stereo, so I'd like to have the ability to play netflix or youtube (again as an extended app if need be)
  • AM / FM of course
  • Doesn't need a CD player, DVD Player, or anything like that (if it has though, whatever)
So, I guess that's it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There are a few options. You can try the Metra kit (99-7804). The kit wasn't very appealing when it first launched, but it's apparently been revised since then and is better.

If you plan on burying the factory HU/extending it to the trunk, these will be very informative:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/138-audio-electronics-lighting/413721-added-aftermarket-hu-2015-sport-kept-imid.html

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/138-audio-electronics-lighting/460857-extend-factory-head-unit-trunk-tutorial.html

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you choose to dismiss the Metra kit (and I have no personal experience with it so I can't say one way or another) I would stop by a local specialty shop to see what they have in stock for you to spend some time to "play" with. In general most aftermarket units in a given price category are very similar in terms of performance but how they operate can be very different. Since its the one part of your aftermarket experience that you have to deal with daily, I would look into how it actually works in a day to day environment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spent a significant portion of my day today researching my specfic stereo model. The relevant info about it is scattered through the middle of a few different threads and YouTube videos. So, I want to do what little I can and try and consolidate most of the information into one post.

To start let me be clear that my particular system is the 2014 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Without Navigation. This model has a touch screen but all the touchscreen allows you to do is hit play, next, back, rewind, forward, track, seek, scan, etc. and also change some sound settings. I want to be clear about that as I've found there are 3 different possible stereo systems for the 2014 Honda Accord. It's apparently hard to find info on my particular version as most versions are the Sport version. Which makes sense as the sport version would be the most likely candidate to upgrade, and I'm guessing less people upgrade the model that I have.

Now, my goal was to install an aftermarket stereo so that I can use Android Auto (or Apple Play). More importantly I want to be sure that I can still use my steering wheel controls and that I can still use the backup camera, right turn camera, and the mileage information display. It's important to know what my goals were because you don't have to keep using those original features if you don't want them anymore. Some people skip the use of their steering wheel controls because their stereo comes with a remote. Others skip the use of the backup camera because they can use the camera that comes with their aftermarket stereo. I however still want all the original functionality to work with the new stereo I'm installing.

Quickly though, let me say that this is not an installtion guide it's an information guide so that you know what to get, and understand why. The tutorials are easily findable after you know what to look for.

I want to start with a few descriptions / definitions of the relevant components involved, and the components you'll hear or read others talk about in their guides or discussions.

• OEM or Factory Stereo - This is your original stereo that came with the car from the manufacturer. The OEM unit will have the volume controls on it, as well as the selection controls and the touchscreen.
  • Aftermarket Stereo - This is the stereo that you are likely here wanting to install, you bought it off of Crutchfield or Amazon or somewhere.
  • iMid - This is the software that is installed to handle the backup camera, right turn camera and other settings.
  • iMid Display - This is the display that shows you the backup camera view, the right turn camera view and the different mileage displays as well as well as the wallpaper dislpay. I'm not sure about the real name, but I'll call it that to differentiate it from the touchscreen that's on your OEM Stereo.
  • Steering Wheel Controls - These are the buttons that are on your steering wheel that allow you to adjust the volume, go to the next song, answer a call, etc.
  • Amplifier - You'll hear this talked about, but unless you're an audiophile, with regards to a simple aftermarket stereo swap you don't need to think about it, however know that you'll want to ensure it's connected if you have one, so keep an eye out when doing your wiring / reviewing wiring diagrams. I have an amplifier, and since this is about my model stereo, you'll also likely have one.
  • Subwoofer - This is a big(ish) speaker in your car, you'll likely have one since you're here about my model stereo. This is like the amplifier in the sense that you don't have to think about it, except to ensure you connect it during setup.
  • Wiring Diagram - You'll hear a lot about these. Basically a wiring diagram is a map that you will use to make the proper connections between the stereo you bought and the cables that are in your car already.
  • Wiring Harness - A wiring harness allows you to connect your new stereo to the original car cables, without having to cut the cables of your car. Think about it like this, an aftermarket stereo is used by many different people for many different cars, all car models have different connections, so a wiring harness is an adapter designed to connect your particular car to the aftermarket stereo.
  • Metra Kits - This is a kit that allows you to use the original cameras through the iMid Display
  • Head Unit - You'll hear this alot. The Head Unit is basically the stereo, either original or aftermarket. Basically stereo's are roughly made up of the head unit and the faceplate, where the head unit is the hunk of metal with all the electronics in it, and the faceplate is the pretty stuff with the nobs touch screen, etc.
Now, with that out of the way, let's talk about setting up a new after market stereo, on our model vehicle / stereo. Let's play out a hypothetical situation for a moment. Assume that you went to a Stereo store, picked out a new, really cool stereo with touchscreen, android car play, etc. and asked them to install it for you, and did nothing else, here's what would happen. To start, your backup camera, right turn camera, mileage / gas information, etc. would all stop working (the iMid Dislpay). You'd have a blank display (off), forever more. Second, your steering wheel controls would no longer work, forever more. Also, depending on where you went to have it swapped, the may give you back a hulking piece of metal that was your original stereo, or they may keep it and sell it without your knowlege. Anyway, this may seem obvious, but in my research both here and on the web, I saw many people not understanding this (I was like this initially).

Essentially, what that means is that there are three systems that make up your primary interaction / interface with your car audio system (not including speakers, amp, etc). They are the stereo, the steering wheel controls and the iMid Display. To have the experience we want after installing the new stereo, we need the other two systems (iMid Display and Steering Wheel Controls) to work.

Quick side note here: Your aftermarket stereo will almost certainly come with a Microphone as well as a way to connect your original attenae to the new stereo (you may or may not have to get an adapter / extenson). I'm not including those items in this discussion because they come with the equipment and you likely don't have to go out and get separate stuff.

Now, let's talk about the simplest and least complex of the other two systems to get working how we want; the steering wheel controls. To do that, you need to buy a specific kit called the "PAC SWI-CP5 Steering Wheel Control". I'm not going to go into installation directions, etc. as there are plenty of tutorials out there on this. But know that if you only bought an aftermarket stereo, and the "PAC SWI-CP5 Steering Wheel Control" you would be able to control the new stereo with your steering wheel controls, however the iMid display, would still not work.

Now, there are two ways, or two methods, to setup the new aftermarket stereo so that you can keep all the original functionality of the iMid display (backup camera, right turn, etc). Each method has some benefits and drawbacks. I'll go into each a little. Note, that in each of these, we're always using the Steering Wheel control kit I mentioned above. That is, you'll need that kit, as well as the method you choose from the options below.

Method Number One - Using the Metra Kit:
The Metra Kit is a specificly built electronic component that interfaces with your new stereo and your iMid display, as well as your original camera system. With this kit you'll be able to make use of the iMid Display.

PROS:
  • It's much, much easier to install than option number two.
  • You get to use the iMid Display. Specifically the camera views and a wallpaper view (possibly some more).
CONS:
  • This is a pretty expensive solution, as the Metra kit is roughly $300.
  • While you get to see the camera's in the iMid display, the mileage views don't work. In fact what you're looking at is a custom display made to look like the honda one, so there are certain settings and information that don't work as they did before.
  • Lot's of people complain about random / misc bugs.
Method Number Two - Keeping Original Head Unit Connected
This method involves keeping the original OEM head unit connected while also connecting your new aftermarket stereo. The general idea is that with the original head unit still connected but tucked away (either in your trunk or behind the new stereo / behind climate controls), the iMid display will still work as designed and you'll be able to use your new stereo.

PROS:
  • A lot less expensive.
  • Much more original feel / look to your iMid display.
  • No Metra related bugs
  • Did I mention, way less expensive.
CONS:
  • A lot more complicated to install.
  • A lot more complicated to install.
So, let's assume for a moment you chose option number one. Well, guess what, there's a ton of tutorials and other guides you can follow to get that all setup pretty quickly.

Now, however if you chose option number two, it's a little more complicated. See, the one or two guides that exist for upgrading to an aftermarket stereo, apply to the Sport model of our cars. Those guides describe a process of hiding the original head unit pretty easily behind the climate controls. Everything goes back together and no one's the wiser. However our stereo's are a little bigger and don't fit as easily. So in order for you to do it correctly you'll need to either cut a piece of metal behind the dash to fit it in, or you'll have to run the head unit to somewhere else in the car, like the trunk. Either way, this complicates the installation process quite a bit. Since you're hear however, I'm linking you to both ways so that you can see which is right for you.

Link 1 - Extend To Trunk

Link 2 - Cut metal and fit behind climate controls
This is a link to a page within the thread that describe what you have to cut in order to fit our model head unit's behind the climate controls.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/138-audio-electronics-lighting/413721-added-aftermarket-hu-2015-sport-kept-imid-13.html

(Go through this page top to bottom, you'll see someone in there talking about our model stereo and what they had to do to fit it behind climate controls, they included pics)

You'll have to copy and paste the links because I can't create links in this forum yet.

Lastly, I want to give you a generic list of the main components you're likely going to need to buy in order to accomplish your goal. I got this list from someone on the forum and I don't remember whom / where. It's great though as it allowed me to build on it for my particular setup. So, to be clear, depending on the option you go with, this list can be a little different. If say you went with option 1, you'll need to buy the full metra kit, and sometimes they come with the dash panel kit already, some don't. If you go with option 2, you'll need to follow the video and get some additional cables and tools if you're sticking it in the trunk.

• New Stereo (You pick one of course)
  • PAC SWI-CP5 Steering Wheel Control (You'll always want this)
  • Scosche HA1717B Dash Kit
  • Metra 70-1729 Radio Wiring Harness x2
  • Metra 71-1729 Radio Wiring Harness
Well, honestly, that's it. You should be armed with enough information to find the rest of the answers / tutorials / guides pretty easily.

I want to thank "ominae" for providing the two threads where I got most of the answers to my questions, along with a few other threads, and some YouTube videos.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT. Please if anyone sees anything wrong with my post; let me know. I know this forum is full of a lot of very informed people. I wrote this because it helped me ensure I really understood what I was getting into, and because for my specfic model, it took a while to consolidate the inforamtion. Also, I didn't want to just take from the community and disappear, so I took the time to write this, if it's wrong, I can fix it, just let me know.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Very thorough post!! Maybe someone with a current version of the Metra kit can comment on the inclusion and function of the OEM mileage screen. I'll admit that the mileage screen is a big deal for me (also the reason I drive a Hybrid) since I drive 114 miles per day. I know I can access some of the mileage data in the instrument cluster (another Hybrid only option, I think) but having it in the iMid seems more normal. The other issues I can work around (the cameras).

·
Acoustics BSEE
1,684 Posts
Yep, thanks for taking the time to write that in such detail. So which of the two are you going to attempt?

I agree with your outlined steps. I've looked at the differences in hiding or extending the touch screen models and the effort is similar for extending (a few more wires and another camera cable). Burying it is complicated by a front screen that may need to be connected, I haven't tried my touchscreen disassembled (just the non touchscreen). I have the radio schematics for your exact model if you need.

The third option is what I am still doing - using a single din in place of the pocket in conjunction with the stock radio. This option does not gain you video playback, so it doesn't fit your needs. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/138-audio-electronics-lighting/237274-adding-aftermarket-head-unit-2014-sport.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to install an aftermarket stereo in my 2014 Accord Sedan EX-L (no navi).

So, I've spent roughly the last two days looking through the forums, researching YouTube videos, and generally looking for a guide of some sort that can help me understand what it is I need to buy to change my stereo to an aftermarket one and still keep steering controls and I want to keep my dual screen. I'm sure this can be done because I've seen others do it. However, I haven't seen anyone do it with my specific model (2014 EX-L no navi). I've seen it with 2014 Sport and 2014 LX.

Here's what I think I know. First, to keep all the functionality (backup camera, right side camera, FCW) I'll apparently need to keep the original stereo connected but have it tucked away behind the new one (or something like that). Also, I think I'll need a specific connector to be able to keep the steering wheel functionality.

So, I guess I'm asking for a few things:
  • Certainty that I can do what I'm thinking I can do
  • What specific module model do I need in order to keep the steering wheel controls
  • What wiring harness do I need
  • Is there a good guide out there someone can point me to that describes installation as well as the hiding of the original unit, etc (more specifically for my model)
Lastly, I'd like to ask for some opinion's on a good stereo. Here's why I'm switching and what I'd like to be able to do with the unit:
  • 4 second bluetooth lag is driving me insane so I want a good functioning bluetooth
  • Google Play Music (that's my music player of choice). Again though, I'm not too familiar but I understand that stereos now allow you to basically extend all your apps to the touchscreen (or something like that)
  • GPS - this can be through Google Maps as an extended app though
  • I have a toddler who sits in his car seat in the middle, and can clearly see the stereo, so I'd like to have the ability to play netflix or youtube (again as an extended app if need be)
  • AM / FM of course
  • Doesn't need a CD player, DVD Player, or anything like that (if it has though, whatever)
So, I guess that's it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hi, I have the exact model 2014 Accord Hybrid EX-L 2.0T, and I have been researching for more than a month now on options to upgrade my stereo. I finally found a company in China that can do it for a fairly low price while maintaining all functionality. However, they need the original stereo wiring diagram / connector pin diagram.

I tried searching the diagrams for my specific model but failed. I am hoping to find those with help of this community.

Thank you!

·
Registered
702 Posts
@shahneeld

I've linked a lot of the docs needed here:

What is the Chinese company's approach? I wouldn't mind contacting them too, if you don't mind?

·
Registered
3 Posts
@shahneeld

I've linked a lot of the docs needed here:

What is the Chinese company's approach? I wouldn't mind contacting them too, if you don't mind?
@timeshifter

Thank you for the links and docs. I sent those to the guy and he said they haven't tested this model yet and is too risky, especially for lanewatch camera and can compromise other features too. I had to cancel my order.

I found the company "Kunfine" through ebay and was talking with them through ebay messages. Their username is "cakunfine"

Seems like no one has successfully tested all the features of a 2014 Accord EX-L yet.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Was it like one of these?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I kept all my OEM hardwares and functions, then I installed:
  • Pioneer Wireless Android Auto AVH-W4400NEX + ASWC-1 steering module + MicroBypass Parking Brake Override. The Pioneer is connected directly to the speakers. FYI, I replaced all the stock speakers, since they are not powerful enough for the Pioneer.
  • Below the head unit is the original 12V outlet and my subwoofer control. The low profile sub is under the passenger seat.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts