Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2014 Accord Sedan - Minus Size Winter Rims?

15K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  HondaGuy2 
#1 ·
Hello all !

A few weeks ago I purchased a 2014 Accord EX-L IL4 Sedan, and since it snows here I have looked into winter tires with dedicated rims.

The car came with 17" rims. The dealership was uncertain if I could put 16" steel rims on my car (they would rub, it was stated) and of course the price is high for 17's.

Does anyone have personal experience with putting 16" rims on this vehicle?

There is another tire shop in town that I will be calling, but I thought I would ask the internet first.

Thanks!

Ray

#2 ·
why would a smaller 16" rim rub on a car set up for 17" wheels?? I just traded-in my 330 BMW with OEM 18" wheels, each late November I would put on 4 winter tires w/dedicated 17" alloys and also softer sidewalls & not as wide.. 205/50 Dunlop tires vs my 18" OEM Pilot Sports front 225/40 & rear 255/35 series sidewalls. Was prefect for cold weather & snow

#5 ·
You can downsize to 16s. Check tirerack if you're unsure

#9 ·
FYI, the reason downsizing could potentially cause a problem is due to the wheel not clearing the front brake calipers on the inside. My 16" winter alloys only clear the calipers by about 1/2" or less and steel wheels usually give even less clearance in that area. Most people have reported that their 16" steelies clear the calipers but I remember reading at least 1 person whose steelies did not fit. Best thing would be to either get alloys or at least bolt one of the 16" steelies on first to make sure it clears the front caliper.

#10 ·
Good point. When I talk to the tire shop in town here I will ask them to confirm by placing a new 16" steel rim on the hub.

After reviewing the manual for the 2014 Sedan it does list the following on the page for picking tire chains (p 531):
Models with 205/65R16 tires
Models with 215/55R17 tires (this is my vehicle)
Models with 235/45R18 tires

I don't know which model comes with a 16" rim, was under the impression the minimum was 17", but it is interesting that they have a listing for a 16" rim.

The other option is to ask the tire shop about 17" steelies. Not sure if that is available, though.

#12 ·
The LX has the 16" rims, but it also has slightly smaller front brake discs. The EX and up have .5 inch larger diameter brake discs.

Make sure that the wheels can be returned just in case. If tire rack says they will fit and they don't make sure they will eat the return shipping. Less of a problem if you go locally.

Let us know how it turns out. I was going to try to fit my 16" 2007 wheels on my '13 just to check the clearance. Have not gotten to it yet though.

#13 ·
I have 16 steelies form an 02 Ody with a 5x114 bolt pattern that I fully expect to fit. They fit my 04 MDX with 17 stock and large brakes. No reason they won't work on my Ex. I'll holla back Dec 1 when I put them on.

#14 ·
I have 16" steelies in my Accord. Sadly, had to put them on last week as we got snow already. Mine are studded too....darn loud.

They fit just fine, loads of room. Whatever "fitment" issues any dealer is telling you is complete nonsense. My stock tires are 18" btw.

#16 ·
Well on my EX I will run the stock wheels as winter tires and buy 19 for the summer. For 25 years I have had Summer Winter wheels.

So I will go through the first winter on the stock wheels and in the spring buy 19's.

Duel exhaust, downpipes, CAI, bulb replacements, floor mats, trunk liner, rear window lip, all have depleted funds a bit.

I am not an all season kind of tire guy. But will be forced to use them this year in PA. Next year new wheels and strait summer performance tires will be the first thing I do. Then I will waste the stock all season for strait performance mud and snow.

#17 ·
Gen 8 hubcaps need different lugnuts

I bought a set of steelies from a Gen 8 Accord. Hubcaps too. Mounted 205/65/16 Michlein X3 Ice snowtires. Put on the Gen 9 EX-L today. Realized the hubcaps need a different lugnut than the ones from the 17" alloys... Anyone else run into this? Will the Gen8 lugnuts with the nylon spacer work? Is the spacer something I can get separately to work with the lugnuts I already have?

#19 ·
I bought a set of steelies from a Gen 8 Accord. Hubcaps too. Mounted 205/65/16 Michlein X3 Ice snowtires. Put on the Gen 9 EX-L today. Realized the hubcaps need a different lugnut than the ones from the 17" alloys... Anyone else run into this? Will the Gen8 lugnuts with the nylon spacer work? Is the spacer something I can get separately to work with the lugnuts I already have?
I plan on using 8th gen steelies on my Accord this winter. What lug nuts did you end up using?

#22 ·
So in a nutshell the Accord sport that comes with 235-45-18 tires would be the main car in question. We have the 2015 Sport, I assume the brakes are the same from LX to Sport, anybody know for sure? Has anyone put 16's on a sport? BTW the tire rack site does not list the sport. They do recommend 16's for the LX.

#23 ·
i have 18inch sport wheels for summer but i will change next summer for some other 18inch but lighter wheels. i bought 17inch very nice wheels for winter. 215 etc tires. but i think its still to wide for winter.. i seem to not be able to go from a stop as fast as any car. My car spins everywhere lolll. maybe those 17inch wheels are too Light !!! loll

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.