Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and need a little reassurance. I woke up this am with that knot in my gut due to buyer's remorse. Yesterday, after lots of research, I traded my 2006 BMW 330i with 72k miles for a new 2014 accord sport auto. I was able to trade for 11k difference out the door. Now I understand that comparing the two cars is like apples to oranges. My reason for trading: owning a BMW out of warranty is risky business, bimmer is 8 yrs old and would need about $1500 in near future maint. Etc... You get the point. The BMW was the nicest car I've ever owned and had it for four years. Hence the knot in my stomach and sleepless night. Practicality wise the honda makes perfect sense because I have two kids etc..... What do you guys think? Did I make the right decision? Did I pay too much? Is there anything I should be aware of with the new accord? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
227 Posts
relax

You did a brilliant thing, you got into a solid lifeboat before the big repair numbers tide comes in!

Hondas hold their resale value very well, and are cheap to keep. You will likely save a lot on maintence, fuel, insurance, etc.

Often when we make a decision we need a little time to digest the reality.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda . . . .

Don't worry, be happy! :banana:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and need a little reassurance. I woke up this am with that knot in my gut due to buyer's remorse. Yesterday, after lots of research, I traded my 2006 BMW 330i with 72k miles for a new 2014 accord sport auto. I was able to trade for 11k difference out the door. Now I understand that comparing the two cars is like apples to oranges. My reason for trading: owning a BMW out of warranty is risky business, bimmer is 8 yrs old and would need about $1500 in near future maint. Etc... You get the point. The BMW was the nicest car I've ever owned and had it for four years. Hence the knot in my stomach and sleepless night. Practicality wise the honda makes perfect sense because I have two kids etc..... What do you guys think? Did I make the right decision? Did I pay too much? Is there anything I should be aware of with the new accord? Thanks in advance
Congrats on the new car!

You did "lots pf research" so this wasn't an impulse purchase for you - trust your judgement!

More likely you're feeling the remorse of moving from the status of owning a BMW and moving to the Honda. That will go away in time. As far as the car you purchased - as someone who has owned my 13 Accord for over a year now I can assure you it's a very nice mid-sized sedan. So enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had the same knot and buyer's remorse 2 years ago when I traded in a vehicle I owned for 4 years on a truck. It took a few weeks, but I eventually got over it and loved having it. I think it's just because you've spent so much time with it (4 years!).

·
No PRND
583 Posts
I sometimes have buyers remorse for going from a true sports car to a "fun to drive" sedan. But that doesn't take away the fact that it was the right decision. You'll be fine. And if in a year or two you still feel the same, the Accord can be sold without you taking a major financial hit.

·
Banned
784 Posts
You should have kept the bimmer and it was mistake paying another 11K to get Honda sports. $1500 for upcoming work on Bimmer is only about 4-5 car payments. You made a very bad decision on the trade and you got ****ered.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You should have kept the bimmer and it was mistake paying another 11K to get Honda sports. $1500 for upcoming work on Bimmer is only about 4-5 car payments. You made a very bad decision on the trade and you got ****ered.
Well, wrong.:banana:

Ok so this upcoming round of repairs is a few car payments.

What about the ones after that? With those cars, once it starts, it keeps going and accelerates.

More repairs, higher insurance, premium fuel, more depreciation, more tire wear. a mistake . . .

REALLY?

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
I went from a 350Z to the Accord. Of course I miss the speed and handling of the Z, but I am back in school and the Accord is just more practical. No regrets here. Buying a car is a big purchase that I'm sure you did a lot of thinking over and research before purchasing. Like others mentioned above, maintenance alone is a good enough reason to own a Honda.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Well, wrong.:banana:

Ok so this upcoming round of repairs is a few car payments.

What about the ones after that? With those cars, once it starts, it keeps going and accelerates.

More repairs, higher insurance, premium fuel, more depreciation, more tire wear. a mistake . . .

REALLY?
OP only got about $10K for his 2006 bimmer, which was the bad deal. How much more money is he going to lose on that bimmer? 14 Accord will lose its value as well and will be worth $15-16K after three years. In three years, the OP's 2006 bimmer will be worth around $10K.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Buying a car is a big purchase that I'm sure you did a lot of thinking over and research before purchasing.
One year cost at University is more than a price of Honda Accord Sports. At least you will have something like a car if it does not work out but if you bomb school you have nothing and a 25K debt. So buying a new car is not that big deal.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The only buyers remorse I've had was not getting the 6-speed manual but the more I think about my purchase of the 2013 Sport CVT, it was the right choice. Sure I love to go fast but with the traffic I have to deal with on a daily basis a manual would be a bitch. Maybe when I move to the midwest that may change but until then, thank god I get to save my left leg.

·
Registered
227 Posts
OP only got about $10K for his 2006 bimmer, which was the bad deal. How much more money is he going to lose on that bimmer? 14 Accord will lose its value as well and will be worth $15-16K after three years. In three years, the OP's 2006 bimmer will be worth around $10K.
He will keep using premium gas, keep paying high maintenance and repairs, keep replacing expensive tires frequently, etc

In 3 years the Accord's depreciation will level off, and all things considered the costs to feed and care for the BMW will likely exceed the Accord's depreciation.

The Accord will have a couple hundred thousand miles or more of relatively trouble free life left, while using regular grade fuel, and much less money for routine maintenance.

The new Accord passes the short offset collision tesy, and is a much safer car than the 06 BMW.

We can't really know if the 10k was a rip off for the BMW. The low resale numbers might be due to condition, and also reflect the high costs to maintain it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Drive the Sport for a while and you will forget the BMW. You did good!
Ditch the remorse and enjoy your beautiful new car. Congrats.:banana:

·
Banned
784 Posts
My job is done!

He will keep using premium gas, keep paying high maintenance and repairs, keep replacing expensive tires frequently, etc
In 3 years the Accord's depreciation will level off, and all things considered the costs to feed and care for the BMW will likely exceed the Accord's depreciation.
The Accord will have a couple hundred thousand miles or more of relatively trouble free life left, while using regular grade fuel, and much less money for routine maintenance.
The new Accord passes the short offset collision tesy, and is a much safer car than the 06 BMW.
We can't really know if the 10k was a rip off for the BMW. The low resale numbers might be due to condition, and also reflect the high costs to maintain it.
The OP will like your logic and now feels much better about buying a 14 Accord Sports. I have done my job!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Audi, Volkswagen, BMW and MINI Record Worst Engine Failure Rates

The OP will like your logic and now feels much better about buying a 14 Accord Sports. I have done my job!
Don't want to forget this jab -

Audi, Volkswagen, BMW and MINI Record Worst Engine Failure Rates

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...-record-worst-engine-failure-rates-54182.html

here are many who buy German simply because they think they are buying a well-engineered and high quality product, yet it seems that 'they don`t make them like they used to', according to a poll conducted by Warranty Direct, in the UK.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Guys - I realize when you look at the header of this board and the nice picture that there could be a slight bias in this conversation!

To the OP - I am in the same boat. Actually to use someone else's lifeboat analogy, I am still in the leaky BMW speedboat and I haven't yet moved to the practical Accord houseboat (okay houseboat is probably unfair but anyway...)

I own a 2002 325xi and am feeling like pulling the trigger on a new Accord sedan. I've posted another thread here to discuss this over the past week.

All the Honda guys....sorry I must dispute some of your "facts" about depreciation and cost. First of all, I'm not surprised about the price he got. I mean maybe he could have gotten a little more had he sold it privately, but that is not the key to this decision. As to maintenance costs on a BMW....indeed they can add up and I am living proof. Nothing "MAJOR" has gone wrong with mine (like the engine or tranny blew up) and mine has 72K miles over 11years of ownership. But has had its fair share of trips to the doctor's office, and my total repair bills are almost $15,000 over 11 years.

Now where I dispute the logic a bit is on the whole depreciation thing. An older BMW isn't gonna depreciate as rapidly as a new Accord. Why do you think the depreciation "levels out" after 3 years? It may "level out" but since it is coming from a higher number the absolute dollar depr on the Honda will still be higher.

To the OP - I feel your pain a bit. I'm sure the Accord is great, but there is something a little more special about walking out to your BMW in the parking lot and driving it home. Not saying BMWs are rare cars, but an Accord is just an Accord and in another year or two the Target parking lot will have 20 of the same Accord in it. And there is something special about the WAY the BMWs drive - at least in my E46 there is just a pure connected feeling of the road and on the highway the wheel is rock solid. I feel like I can drive that car through a slalom course with one pinky finger. It's not an M3 and I'm not gonna win any drag races but it still is a fun car to drive.

You are likely getting the willies because you've just "taken a step down" in terms of ownership and prestige. Don't want to get into the whole brand thing but there is certainly some added amount of prestige in driving a BMW. And no, I am not a brand whore. I've owned Hondas all my life except for this one BMW I have now. And I currently own an Odyssey.

The practical side of me suggests that it will be a less intrusive ownership experience if I trade now for a Honda. But if you can DIY some stuff on a BMW, even if you pay $1000 or $1500 a year for maintenance, it's not like a huge imbalance vs a NEW HONDA since you'll easily be depreciating more than $2500 a year on the car, not even counting payments on a new car note if you're financing it. Not sure the raw cost logic works as much as some other posters want to believe. But they are different cars - the Honda is larger and has newer tech, and should still be fun enough to drive. I personally like the BMW but having trouble rationalizing paying $45G for a new one....the value isnt there.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Question: What are the two happiest days in a BMW owner's life?
Answer: The day he buys it and the day he sells it.:banana:

Myth: German engineering and craftsmanship is world class.
Truth: That was true 50 years ago compared to the American big three automakers. That was before the Japanese cars entered the US market in the early 60s. Dr. Demming taught and the Japanese learned well the lessons of quality manufacturing after WW II. Since the Germans couldn't compete on price because of their higher costs they went upscale in price. They couldn't keep up with their Asian competitors quality so they advertised their superior engineering. Going upscale was a good move for them because wealthy people have more disposable income for maintenance and repair costs. It didn't take the Japanese long to catch up and even surpass the Germans at their own game. Other than the name what can a German 4 door family sedan do that an Accord can. The Asian car manufacturers sell a lot of cars in Europe.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Dr. Demming taught and the Japanese learned well the lessons of quality manufacturing after WW II.
Flyboy: Darn good post and so true about the two days in a BMW owner's life!

Only one "m" in Dr. W. Edwards Deming....

There is a framed picture of him in Toyota's Engineering HQ in Japan.

My sister-in-law always buys Bavarian....like me, she is an MBA. And she learned this: Sell it before it is out of warranty. Heck of a car though.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
Not saying BMWs are rare cars, but an Accord is just an Accord and in another year or two the Target parking lot will have 20 of the same Accord in it.
LOL, ain't that the truth! Buying an Accord is an exercise in practicality and compromise. Buying a BMW is neither.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Flyboy: Darn good post and so true about the two days in a BMW owner's life!

Only one "m" in Dr. W. Edwards Deming....

There is a framed picture of him in Toyota's Engineering HQ in Japan.

My sister-in-law always buys Bavarian....like me, she is an MBA. And she learned this: Sell it before it is out of warranty. Heck of a car though.
Sorry I misspelled Dr. Deming's name. It took a long time for our manufactures to learn the lessons that Deming taught the Japanese. The big three wasted decades because bad management pointed fingers at the UAW instead of fixing there fundamental business problems.

Before GM went into bankruptcy, during the NY auto show, NPR interviewed Bob Lutz. Bob is a long time auto industry executive who was at GM at the time. When asked how things were going at GM he replied. "I have to stand at the Northwest counter like everyone else instead of riding on the corporate jet and I don't get to stay in the really good hotels". I was driving home at the time and I started yelling at the car radio, of course, you guys haven't built a car anyone has wanted to buy in the last twenty years.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts