Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2014 Accord Sport (CVT) and noticed that the radio sound/quality is just horrible. Sounds like the sound is smothered and just managing to receive signal (radio goes dead if I park in the lower level of the parking garage at work). All my past vehicles had better sounding radio, including my sister's 2010 Toyota Corolla LE (sounds waaaaay better). Is it just my radio or is this just Honda?

*** sound actually reminds me of the cheap quality sound you have when you wear the carrier provided headsets on an airplane.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... I use a USB drive or stream music from Soundcloud all day. But I'm still annoyed with how bad the radio sounds. It's almost embarrassing.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
One of the great things about getting older and not having used hearing protection is that I think the radio sounds just fine. As for poor reception in the lower level of a parking garage, what do you expect? FM is line of sight transmission and concrete and steel tend to block radio signals because you can't see through concrete.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the great things about getting older and not having used hearing protection is that I think the radio sounds just fine. As for poor reception in the lower level of a parking garage, what do you expect? FM is line of sight transmission and concrete and steel tend to block radio signals because you can't see through concrete.
My old 2000 Subaru had better reception in the same parking garage, and I thought that car had a bad radio. Parking garage aside, the radio quality is horrible anywhere I go.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What settings do you guys have your Equalizer for? (I.e. Bass, Treble, Fade, Balance, etc).

I know it can vary from genre to genre, but I am trying to figure out the optimal EQ mix that I can set it to. I generally listen to Hip Hop or Reggae.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...and just managing to receive signal (radio goes dead if I park in the lower level of the parking garage at work). All my past vehicles had better sounding radio, including my sister's 2010 Toyota Corolla LE (sounds waaaaay better). Is it just my radio or is this just Honda?
Funny, I have the same model/year Corolla and thought the same thing, the Corolla radio is way better.

With the Accord, I believe the issue is not with the headunit, but with the radio antenna. I base this on the fact that all other sources sound very good (USB, IPOD, CD) and that stations that I can get clearly on my other car come on with static on the Accord.

Maybe if there was some way of improving / replacing the radio's antenna or some kind of aftermarket signal booster, it would improve?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am shocked how poor a supposed 360 watt/7 speaker system sounds in my V6 Accord Coupe. Agree using Ipod or USB flash drive sounds better, but would still expect much better radio quality in this day & age. My wife's 2011 CRV sounds more punchy and rich... oh well, it is what it is. I'll be writing a letter to Honda Corp to let them know our disappointment

·
hot garbage
203 Posts
What settings do you guys have your Equalizer for? (I.e. Bass, Treble, Fade, Balance, etc).

I know it can vary from genre to genre, but I am trying to figure out the optimal EQ mix that I can set it to. I generally listen to Hip Hop or Reggae.
you should just go test out different eq settings and set it to what sounds best to your ears.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, I was thinking about buying the Sport manual. I had two different sound system (changing out current speakers, adding speakers and amplifier) quotes before I made my final decision. New sound system was the first thing I was planning to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Bass and treble all the way up (still not enough bass... gonna install a subwoofer in the near future). Everything else stays in the center.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to think the radio was good enough........until i played songs off a USB drive. The difference is quality is amazing. I am hoping its a software thing and Honda can address this in a future update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sister recently bought a 2014 accord sport. Agree that the radio signal is awful. We had an aftermarket amp and subowoofer installed. Sounds great on bluetooth and USB, but the radio signal still sounds pretty bad. Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket antenna that is available to improve the quality of the radio signal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts