Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, with just about a year left on my 2012 Accord LX lease, I am already looking to jump into a new sedan. Besides the rock hard seats and loud road noise, my 8.5 gen was been wonderful. My dealership keeps bugging me to trade in my current accord. They are having some crazy lease deals on the new Accord. I really like the Accord Sport, but I am not thrilled that Pearl White doesnt come with a manual transmission (White is my 1st color choice and want a manual trans). I've got my eye on the new 2014 Passat Sport, which will have 19" wheels, flat bottom sport steering wheel, black rooftop and sport seats. Should be out at dealerships relatively soon.

With that said, what would you current owners prefer? The Accord Sport or Passat Sport? I really love the TDI, but dont think i'd recoup my money unless I drove alot.

I know im posting on a Honda forum, so Im expecting this to be biased trying to find out from you 9th Gen owners what you think amongst the two. I am generally a German car guy and prefer the VW, but trying to get some feedback from the Honda fans.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
you sure you can deal with VW reliability? I was deciding between Passat and Accord too but I chose accord because of poor VW reliability.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've never driven the 2014 Passat, but I will offer this VW personal experience....

In 2003 I bought a brand new Passat, it was fun and overall a great car. I drove it for about 2 years and then went to sell it with ~60k miles on it. The thing was near impossible to sell! No bites on CL, eBay completed auction showed no comparable "completed sales on Passats".

A beautiful, pristine, 2 year old car, that I paid ~$23k for new and I think I finally sold it for ~$7-8k to the one person that finally came to see it.

Point is, VWs are fun but overall their resale value is absolutely HORRENDOUS and for that simple fact I will NEVER buy a new one or recommend anyone else buy a new one. If resale is a concern, and for most it should be, Honda and Toyota are the way to go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a 2005 Passat 1.8T 4Motion and I loved it. Sadly the transmission died around 100k which is when I traded it in for the Accord. It drove better than the accord for sure (thx AWD).

However, current Passats are not built the like the previous generation so the comparison is not complete. I looked hard at the 2013 Passat but chose the accord due to a better interior and (potentially) better reliability.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I looked at them both, in the end the Honda won on the following:

* VW Dealer acted like I should feel honored to have the privilege to buy a VW from them
* Passat interior was really bad looking on the Sub 30K models
* Could not get a Passat with a Manual & Sunroof
* Reading early reports on forums about the Current gen Passat quality

Jay

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
I just think the Accord Sport just looks much better than the Passat. It's just a lot more masculine and mean looking whereas the Passat reminds me of a loaf of bread. :lmao:

As for the interior, i dont like how they placed the screen. It is simply too low and takes your eyes away from the road whereas the iMID screen is higher up where you can just glance with your eyes.

Call me biased but I still prefer the Accord..no matter what trim.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My dad had leased 3 vw's in a row in the 90's. From his description, their cars back then were way more fun to drive but broke down and expensive as hell to repair. Btw he had an 89 Jetta GLI, 92 and 95 passat. The current vw's look bland as all hell, wouldn't even be interested in test driving them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
235 Posts
Post same on www.passatworld.com and see what they say. ;)

Concur wth adama31. I had an '04 Passat 1.8T and absolutely loved driving it (hated working on it, though - which you probably don't care about). B5 and B5.5 gen was awesome, B6 in 2006 had huge drop in overall quality imo. I seriously considered another '04 or '05 Passat...but decided to go new, hence 9th gen Accord Sport.

Only thing I truly miss is turning radius and 60/40 split bench. Doubt OP cares much about reliability or resale since it's a lease.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you sure you can deal with VW reliability? I was deciding between Passat and Accord too but I chose accord because of poor VW reliability.
Im pretty familiar with VW's. Owned a 2000 Passat V6 (had electrical problems), 2008 Passat (Leased) and 2010 CC Sport (6 speed man), also leased. Not really concerned with reliability as I'll be leasing (will be under warranty). And yes to the other poster who said resale value stinks. I totally agree -- again, will be leasing so car will be returned. Just wanted to get everyones thoughts. I have yet to drive both cars. I know the new Passat is equipped with a 1.8L Turbo, which sounds fun (especially with a tune). No 6 speed though, they only offer a 5 speed with the 1.8L engine. Love the black sports cloth in Accord Sport and large 8" iMID, but only available colors in 6spd are black and grey.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I had a 2002 Jetta 1.8T, which at that time was head and shoulders above other cars in the class in interior materials and driving enjoyment. Unfortunately, the car broke down what seemed like monthly, and VW customer service was horrendous.

My friend has a 2012 Jetta, and her ignition coils cracked. This has been a VW problem since 2000, and they still haven't fixed it. They also gave her a hard time about having a loaner when her car had to be brought in a handful of times, so things haven't changed much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're leasing, I guess I would choose a passat. I really wanted to get a passat but only reason I didn't get one is because of poor VW's reliability. I owned 2001 Jetta GLS for 13 yrs with 210k miles. I loved the car but broke down every month. Seriously...

·
4,339 Posts
And yes to the other poster who said resale value stinks. I totally agree -- again, will be leasing so car will be returned. Just wanted to get everyones thoughts.
Since lease terms are calculated on residual values that low resale still hits you in the wallet.

Many on here have leased Hondas and sold them at the end of term, paid off HAF and kept a tidy sum in their pocket. :yes:

I say if you are leasing, what is the harm in leasing the Honda. If you dont like it, its only 3 years. If you do, you gained a new car choice 3 years from now.

Jay

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since lease terms are calculated on residual values that low resale still hits you in the wallet.

Jay
Not necessarily. Depending on the time of the year, VW usually throws alot of "dealer-cash" which makes up for the poor residual.

I mean, I know off hand that the Accord will lease better, but not by much.
Although 100 miles away, my Honda dealer gives exceptional deals. Free Oil changes and car washes too (though i dont use them)

Im going to test drive them both I guess.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I've never driven the 2014 Passat, but I will offer this VW personal experience....

In 2003 I bought a brand new Passat, it was fun and overall a great car. I drove it for about 2 years and then went to sell it with ~60k miles on it. The thing was near impossible to sell! No bites on CL, eBay completed auction showed no comparable "completed sales on Passats".

A beautiful, pristine, 2 year old car, that I paid ~$23k for new and I think I finally sold it for ~$7-8k to the one person that finally came to see it.

Point is, VWs are fun but overall their resale value is absolutely HORRENDOUS and for that simple fact I will NEVER buy a new one or recommend anyone else buy a new one. If resale is a concern, and for most it should be, Honda and Toyota are the way to go.
I love Euro cars but that poor resale is directly related to poor reliability and even the new American Passat can't come close to Hon/Toy/GM/Ford/Hyundai.

I looked at a TDI new gen when it first came out and the lack of a rear cam was a deal breaker even if reliability were great. Lack of features is another issue. FWIW the '14 E Class does not have a rear cam standard 15 years after Infiniti pioneered the technology. You must pay $3900 for a package on the E to get what an entry level Accord LX has :dunno:.

I would not hesitate to lease a Passat (if it is a good deal) with the 0-0-0 going on now, methinks it ends today. Turn the keys in at 36 months and RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY (in my best Monty Python voice).

·
4,339 Posts
Not necessarily. Depending on the time of the year, VW usually throws alot of "dealer-cash" which makes up for the poor residual.

I mean, I know off hand that the Accord will lease better, but not by much.
Although 100 miles away, my Honda dealer gives exceptional deals. Free Oil changes and car washes too (though i dont use them)

Im going to test drive them both I guess.
Everyone piles money on the hood at yearend that is why I could lease an Accord (LX) for $99/mo at my dealer until Yesterday...

I drove them both as well. For me the way the Accord handled was just heavenly. I still love it 7 months later.

Jay

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Simple....You lease German and luxury American cars, but you own (most) Japanese cars. Between the depreciation and maintence you will loose a lot of money otherwise.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Which is why I could lease an Accord (LX) for $99/mo at my dealer until Yesterday...

I drove them both as well. For me the way the Accord handled was just heavenly. I still love it 7 months later.

Jay
I don't imagine that is 0-0-0 is it?

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Simple....You lease German and luxury American cars, but you own (most) Japanese cars. Between the depreciation and maintence you will loose a lot of money otherwise.
+1. :thmsup: Having owned a few dozen Euro cars that is true (although most of mine I bought on the cheap as used cars). I know a lot of people who drive high end Euro cars and 100% lease and run away at the end.

·
4,339 Posts
I don't imagine that is 0-0-0 is it?
It was not 0-0-0 but they terms were not bad. It made me wish I could lease...

But, what is the cost of actually driving your car where you want and not to the service department.

Jay

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I owned a few VWs too (2003 Passat 1.8T 5MT, 2010 GTI 6MT and my daughter’s 2010 Jetta 2.5 5MT). All good cars. German cars, VW specifically, have a sense of aplomb that Japanese cars lack. They feel more connected to the road and have a greater sense of soul. But in fairness to Honda, that gap is getting smaller. I would also argue that other technological advancements even out the total package.

The new VW 1.8T engine should be good - much better than the older 2.5. But if you had a 2.0T CC 6MT, you already know how bad the turbo lag is in normal driving. (I hated it in my GTI 6MT.) And get both cars in a MT and the Accord should be almost a full second quicker to 60 mph, with MUCH better throttle response. Not only is the Accord faster, but it gets better mpg too. And now that the Japanese have learned all the crash-test tricks, the coveted European cars no longer have any advantage in the safety department.

The Passat is a very good car, no question, but they cost more. After a quick perusal of internet specials, you can lease a base model Passat S (MSRP- $22,765, 10,000 mile/year lease) and a CVT Sport (MSRP - $24,980 12,000 mile/year lease) for about the same payment. But the Accord costs about 10% more (more features) and gives you 20% more miles per year of use. I'm not sure about this new Passat, but the relationship should be similar.

To lease a Passat would never be a bad decision. VW is a great car manufacturer. I’m just not so sure the “German Edge” is what it once was and if it is worth the price.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts