Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2014 Ex-l sounds louder than normal, whining sound

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  WABOOM 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Accord Ex-L, 4 cylinder (CVT transmission) with around 85,000 miles.

My car is loud, but my last 2012 Accord 4 cyl was also loud and I just attribute that to both cars being Honda 4-cylinder engines.

However, I’ve noticed that my car has been louder than usual, especially while idling, and there is a whirring sound that I hear at all times.

I had two coworkers tell me today that when I turned into my parking lot, they could hear something that sounded similar to when a vehicle is low on power steering fluid. A whining sound. And that’s actually exactly how the sound is. It was loud enough for them to notice and concerning en

Normally I would have my husband listen for the sound and check it, but as luck would have it, I am out of town for work, in the middle of nowhere.

I’m not familiar with vehicle “sounds” so I can’t diagnose anything.

Does this sound like the power steering? Is this something I can easily check and fill myself? (I also read this vehicle has no power steering fluid..??)

I’m so scared that driving anymore will ruin my car. Suggestions welcome..Help!

See less See more
#2 ·
You never came back and thanked anyone in your "I want to mod my car" thread. So we don't know which modifications you did and if that affects the engine sounds.

Most of what you described can be attributed to the serpentine belt function- a pulley driven by that belt could be acting up. Correct, you have electric power steering- no pump, no fluid.

So the question is, does the sound increase in volume or change pitch once you start moving- or when you give it gas and increase the engine speed?

Reactions: accord2215
#5 ·
I was just able to break for lunch, and really listen to the sound.

The sound does get slightly higher in pitch when I accelerate and this whirring is present even when idling.

It makes my car sound like a diesel truck when idling now; so loud that other people notice.

My car drives and performs fine- no Maintenance Minders on.
It’s just this sound and the only way I can describe it is that it does sound really close to what a turning vehicle that is low on power steering fluid sounds like.
But since my car doesn’t have that, it can’t be that.

and no mods were actually done to this car by the way.

#7 · (Edited)
Are the belt tensioner, serpentine belt, and belt tensioner pulley all apart of the same thing?
(sorry for my lack of knowledge on this! lol)

Should it all be changed? I would like to purchase all the necessary parts and have them ready for when I get home so my husband can fix this for me.

I only have about 85,000 miles on my car. How likely is it that the tensioner has failed and needs replacing?

#8 ·
Does it sound like this?

If so, that's your tensioner. The auto tensioner/pulley is all one part. The serpentine belt is separate.

Reactions: accord2215
#10 · (Edited)
Just opened my hood and YES, it sounds exactly like this!

I would like to buy the parts to fix this but should I purchase from Autozone or somewhere online?

I looked at hondapartsnow.com to get an idea of the cost but they have:
-auto tensioner assembly

-tensioner pulley set

-hydraulic tensioner set

I’m also going to replace the serpentinebelt at the same time, but I don’t know the part number of the tensioner pulley to make sure I’m purchasing the correct all in one piece that I’ll need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.