Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Replaced 2 Batteries within the first 80k miles ($140 with warranty. 2nd battery was covered by warranty)

2. Replaced the starter at 90k miles ($524)

3. Now my passenger back window will not roll up. (And Vic Bailey Honda of Spartanburg, SC wants to charge me damn near $600 to replace it.)

Can anybody help me with number 3? Are they getting over with that price?

· Banned
14,456 Posts
Why does your passenger back window need to be replaced on a 6 year old car? Was it damaged in an act of vandalism? Is that why it will not roll up- because it is shattered?

Why did you pay $524 to replace a starter? There are write-ups here on how to remove, rebuild, and reinstall your starter for about $30 and one hour time. I did mine for $24 and it is harder to get to on my engine than on your engine.

2 batteries in 80,000 is not too shabby! My batteries usually last 30,000 miles (three years) each. What is your secret?

· Registered
5,696 Posts
Most likely a bad regulator assembly, the Honda part # is 72710-T2A-A03. The list price is $334.43, you can buy it online for $222.73 plus S&H. You could also get a used one for about $40 plus S&H. It is not that difficult to change if you are handy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

· Justin
36 Posts
Your third issue I would say is way too much to pay for that.
I'm seeing I can get the new regulator for $80CAD here

I would either talk to an independant shop about how much they'd charge if you bring the part or DIY this.
I did my passenger side on my coupe, it was fairly simple. Disconnect the battery prop the window up with a towel and piece of wood undo the electrical connectors, then the bolts connecting to the window then the ones connecting to the door frame.

But before any of this you may want to look into doing a window relearn, if the window rolls up partly and then back down.

· Registered
3,356 Posts
2 batteries in 80,000 is not too shabby! My batteries usually last 30,000 miles (three years) each. What is your secret?
My 2001 Gallant original battery took a look after 7 years and that is with the subwoofers bin the trunk for good 3 or 4 years into the life of the battery. New battery still kicking arse in my old man's 2002 Gallant, I totaled my 2001 on freeway black ice spin out.
2003 Camry OE one five years right on the dot.
My bros 2011 CR-V gave up the ghosts after 6 years, and that's a tiny lil thing for a battery.
The secret is simple: there is no secret.
1. Turn off all accessories when shut the car off.
2. Keep the terminals clean and tight.
3. Do not get the cheapest deal when selecting a new batteries, also make sure that you buy most freshly manufactured battery, check date stickers. Camry is on its third battery since 2017 spring, second was a Duralast Gold from AutoZone.
4. Keep good oil, turns over easier in the winter( change right before season starts with really low temps).
5. Don't crank for too long in cold trying to turn it over.
6. Don't run too many accessories with the engine off for prolonged times ( through I did in my Gallant).
7. Wash the car ( though Camry is least washed vehicle I ever owned)
8. Do not talk about fight club.

· Registered
3,356 Posts
I didn't even realized that I became a victim of autocorrect.

In all defense, that vehicle deserves to be call Gallant, it has been to hell and back quite a few times. Needle pegged below 120, hauling decorative bricks etc..

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why does your passenger back window need to be replaced on a 6 year old car? Was it damaged in an act of vandalism? Is that why it will not roll up- because it is shattered?

Why did you pay $524 to replace a starter? There are write-ups here on how to remove, rebuild, and reinstall your starter for about $30 and one hour time. I did mine for $24 and it is harder to get to on my engine than on your engine.

The window won't roll up but it will roll down easily. I was told that it was the motor in the window. And that's the price I was given. Didn't sound right but I know nothing about cars and haven't taken anywhere else besides the Honda dealership in my 5 years of ownership

· Registered
5,696 Posts
If it moves at all it is worth trying to see if you can lube the channels and get it working again. Follow this video by Scotty Kilmer, he is a bit crazy but this is sound advice on power windows.

If not the motor is part of the regulator and is not difficult to replace.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cepega

· Low Gear
2,946 Posts
If it moves at all it is worth trying to see if you can lube the channels and get it working again. Follow this video by Scotty Kilmer, he is a bit crazy but this is sound advice on power windows.

The rear window on my Odyssey started to make a weird sound. I started to fear it will go bad. Then I saw this video. Did exactly that. Sound went away, never came back. I now do it once a year on all my windows. All my cars. Prior to that, I've never lube anything for the windows.

A few tips I'll share. If you got tint, only do the outside. If you car is clean and waxed, wait until is dirty, because it will drip out. In fact, most of what you spray will drip out on the bottom of the door So it does make a mess. So you may have to wipe off a few times until it stops dripping.

· port & polish everything
1,989 Posts
Given the vehicle mileage, none of these issues are really out of the ordinary. There's no such thing as a car that works like new forever.

If you can't do the work yourself, you should get more than one quote for repair costs. Something like the window regulator there is not much good reason to do it at a dealer for that cost.

· 3-Time Accord Owner
1,161 Posts
I found lifetime warranted power window regulators with motors on RockAuto for my daughter's 2001 Camry for something like $47 each. I likewise replaced two window regulators with motors on my son's CRV (maybe $80 each...?). In both cases the job was surprisingly easy and went off without a hitch. Find a youtube video on the topic and you too can save some money.

Once you get it all working, I second the Scotty Kilmer trick above of spraying silicone spray in the window channels to decrease drag and extend the life of your window motors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.