Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I recently purchased a brand new 2014 Honda Accord Sport with a CVT transmission. From day one, I heard a squeaking noise coming from the front left corner of the car. Unfortunately when I was test driving the car, I didn't hear the noise. Subsequent servicing and detailed investigations found improper fitting/mounting on front left strut thus causing a squeaking noise. To alleviate the problem, the technician decided to replace the entire strut assembly. The repairs seemed to have fixed the problem, however, after driving the car for about 900 miles, I'm hearing a similar squeaking noise from the right rear of the car. Later this week, I plan on taking the car once again to my local servicing department so they can take a look at it.

To be fair, my local Honda dealership was wonderful to deal with when I first brought the car in, but needless to say I'm not too happy about my situation. I want to move past these hiccups and enjoy my new car.

So my questions is: has anyone else had similar problems with their Accord Sport? Any recommendations on what I should do?

·
Carpe Diem
2,566 Posts
The Sport comes with the HFP suspension right? Some newbie tech must have screwed up the install. Make sure they check all three original struts when you take it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ike - I believe the front suspension is a MacPherson strut. Thanks for the feedback; I will make sure the tech inspects all of the original struts.

An update; both front strut assemblies on my 2014 Honda Accord Sport had to be replaced. According to the Honda technician, the struts were faulty and machined incorrectly.

If anyone hears a clicking sound, not unlike the sound of a card in a bicycle wheel, from the strut areas, take it in for inspection. The sound maybe a faulty strut.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brand new accord also had a strut issue. They are replacing the faulty one now. I noticed the noise when I had less than 1,000 mils on the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my new honda accord about a month ago. I only have 466 miles on it and that's when I started noticing weird clicking sounds from my front end. When I would turn the steering wheel all the way and bring it back I would hear some clicking sounds. I'm taking it in tomorrow for inspection and you guessed correctly, I'm not so thrilled about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my 2014 EXL in June and after two weeks I started hearing the same noise. I took it to the dealership yesterday and they confirmed that the popping noise is from the right side strut.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I just got my new honda accord about a month ago. I only have 466 miles on it and that's when I started noticing weird clicking sounds from my front end. When I would turn the steering wheel all the way and bring it back I would hear some clicking sounds. I'm taking it in tomorrow for inspection and you guessed correctly, I'm not so thrilled about this.
maybe you should just relax, and don't get in tizzy over a little noise.
It may go away, it may not. I'm sure your car won't blow up over it before your first oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just started noticing this noise in my 2014 Sport. Might anyone have anything else to add to this discussion? I'm at 30% Oil Life, with about 7500 miles. So service is very soon approaching. Would like to have as much info/ammunition as possible when I visit the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem. My 2015 Sport has a sharp click or knock noise from the top of each front strut when a sudden bump is encountered. Speed bumps at low speed is when the noise was most noticeable. Dealer drove the car and agreed to replace the self-locking nut (P/N 90213-SJ6-004) on each strut that secures the the top of the damper rod. The noise returned after about 100km.

I will return to the dealer and seek further action. Does anyone have TSB reference material or similar experiences?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a similar problem. My 2015 Sport has a sharp click or knock noise from the top of each front strut when a sudden bump is encountered. Speed bumps at low speed is when the noise was most noticeable. Dealer drove the car and agreed to replace the self-locking nut (P/N 90213-SJ6-004) on each strut that secures the the top of the damper rod. The noise returned after about 100km.

I will return to the dealer and seek further action. Does anyone have TSB reference material or similar experiences?
I also had this problem with my 2014 Accord Sport. Noticed about 1000+ miles ago that there was a clunking noise on the front right axle when turning left. After 1000 miles it got way worse so I took it the dealer.

In their receipt, it looks like they replaced the self-locking strut mounting nut P/N 90213-SJ6-004 according to TSB 14-067.

The noise has now gone away and the front suspension seems much more steady. I'm wondering if this will cause other issues with the struts.

Please keep us updated on this.

·
farooqster
5 Posts
My 2014 Sport has the same issue I believe. At low speeds when braking, if a bump in the road or a speed bump is encountered, there is a clicking noise. I initially thought it was a loose brake component shifting due to the brake being applied. After reading this thread I'm thinking it could very well be the strut.

I took it in to the dealership (Jim Coleman Honda, Clarksville, MD) and on the receipt it says..
"Road tested the vehicle several time, was unable to duplicate the noise. The technician lubricated the shims on the brakes".
In other words, they didn't do anything. By the time I reached the traffic light leaving the dealership, I was able to hear the clicking noise. To me it is something they just don't want to deal with. I'll take it now to another nearby Honda dealership (O'Donell Honda, Ellicott City, MD) to get it checked out. The car has under 25k so it is still under warranty. I'm hoping they give me a better fix / explanation. I'll update thread with their feedback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yikes, I just took my 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid in because we heard a strange rattle. They are replacing both struts. Shouldn't the 2014 Honda have been recalled. Seems kind of dangerous to me.

·
farooqster
5 Posts
UPDATE--

O Donell Honda also turned me away with "we could not duplicate the noise". Furthermore, I was told to "not have any change in the car if they're doing noise inspections". Keep in mind I maybe had 2 pennies in the door pocket which I knew for sure were not the source of the noise.

I also have a 2010 and I was getting new tires installed on it when my wife drove the 2014 to drop me to pick up my car from the shop Newbauer's Automotive in Ellicott City. While I was there, I asked the friendly mechanic Matt if I could have him hear the noise coming from the 2014. I thought he'd say no but he gladly came out and asked me if I could replicate the noise... and I did. Within 20 seconds, he found the problem... loose tie rod end nut. He showed it to me. Then he ran back in the shop and back out with a wrench and tightened it up for me no charge.

Problem solved.

What does this say about the 2 local Honda shops that turned me away without finding / fixing the problem. tisk tisk tisk.

·
'14 Accord Sport CVT BRP2
15 Posts
I had my PA state inspection this month and the local honda dealer said the left front strut was leaking and that they would order the part to be replaced under warranty. After I got home I did some research on struts. I found this thread and the TSB bulletin (thank you guys). I also saw that struts should be replaced in pairs. Does anyone have an opinion on this? The local dealer originally just said they would replace the left front and not the pair but I'm thinking about arguing with them to replace both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Honda Accord Sport

I have had my 2014 Honda Accord Sport since Feb 2014. (22K). Within the last few months I have started to hear weird (Front Wheels / Ball bearing) sounds. My Honda Dealer informed me that "Honda" was aware of this sound which was linked to the 19" wheel base. They recommended to rotate tires frequently.

I find this hard to believe! as rotating has not improved or resolved the issue

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated, as while driving I am unsure whether to use my BOSE Noise cancellation headsets or play loud music.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes. i have similar issue.
i went to Honda dealer at westminister. Mr. Mike Meckley help me. He explained me what is the issue. and they fixed both side of the of the front struts in 1:10hr.
In future, i know where to go if i have issue. The westminister Honda service people are very nice.

·
Registered
704 Posts
yes. i have similar issue.
i went to Honda dealer at westminister. Mr. Mike Meckley help me. He explained me what is the issue. and they fixed both side of the of the front struts in 1:10hr.
In future, i know where to go if i have issue. The westminister Honda service people are very nice.
1. Your post is very hard to understand.

2. Did they replace the struts, or did they do something to each of the front strut assemblies? Again, your post was very hard to understand.

Was it a "dangerous" sounding rattle?:0
Really? Would you like to live with a rattle in your car knowing that it was under warranty?

I've heard that in some cases some of the front strut bolts just need to be tightened.
Yes, there is a TSB for it but, in most cases, it doesn't solve the problem.

maybe you should just relax, and don't get in tizzy over a little noise.
It may go away, it may not. I'm sure your car won't blow up over it before your first oil change.
This is the dumbest and most fanboyish ignorant response I've seen today. Put yourself on the other side of the equation an and see how you'd like to be given that response. I'm sure you'd be complaining as well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My annoying story is in this thread....

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/8...81-clunking-noise-front-left.html#post5132921

So, to sum:

My car has been at the dealer where I purchased my car (Sheehy Honda in Alexandria, VA) since May 3rd.

Before the 3rd, my car was at the same dealership the week of April 18-22nd to address five TSBs and a strange clunking or clanking noise in the car that would happen when I would take turns:

A15-077
A15-011
A15-023
A14-067
A15-017

Although they addressed four of them, the 5th one about the wind noise was not done properly, so I had to live with tons of wind noise in the car (increased tenfold since the time I brought it in) because the pillars were not glued properly and were bowing while I would drive. They told me they couldn't replicate the clunking noise, so I told the manager that I would want him to check it himself.

The dealer made me wait two weeks because the service manager had gone on vacation and he asked me to bring it on May 3rd to address the wind noise issue and the clunking noise.

Fast forward to the 3rd and, they allegedly addressed the wind noise TSB for a second time and one of the pillars that they ordered (the passenger side) came gouged from the factory.

Prior to them ordering said pillars, I asked the service manager if he could, as a courtesy, put the glossy pillars that came with the touring. He gave me the most ridiculous excuse, telling me that those pillars require that the whole chrome trim assembly on the doors be replaced. Basically, he assumed I was an idiot who was going to buy his lame excuse for not wanting to pay dealer cost on four pieces of plastic to make me happy. I found several dings on my car that weren't there before. The service manager agreed to order another set of pillars and replace them once more.

Ever since the 3rd, I've been checking periodically (every other day or so) with him via text, to see what the progress of the car was. He's been telling me that they can't find the problem. I asked him if they replaced the struts and he said that they've found that in many cases it doesn't fix the problem. I've even told him how to replicate the clunk sound and told him to take the car for a test drive.

So, today I needed to get some things out of the car and I texted him earlier today. He told me that he would have an update for me around 1pm. Well, I went to the dealer and, to my surprise (and frustration), the pillars were coming unglued again...

I told one of his people to have him call me and I also told him that he needs to order me the touring pillars and install them correctly this time. I sent him a text and even gave him the part numbers for all four pillars and told him I expected him to install them. He told me he would and I didn't hear much from him at that point.

I'm really frustrated that they can't seem to find the problem that's causing the clunking noise. I'm going to ask him to check the tie rod nut to see if it's lose and if that's what's causing the problem. In previous texts I asked him if the bolts were correctly tightened and he replied that they were all tight.

I'm beginning to think that they may not want to replace the struts in lieu of not wanting to spend the money to fix the car.

This car has been a huge disappointment and it continues to disappoint day after day of owning it. Before anyone asks, this isn't my first Honda. I've owned Accords since '99 and this one has been by far the worst vehicle I've ever owned. Honda is living under its past glory and they are no longer putting any quality into their vehicles. They were once known to be a really reliable brand and that is no longer the case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts