Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previous had a 2010 civic and I was consistently getting 32-34 mpg driving around. It was about 70% highway cruising at 75 and 30% city cruising a little under 10 mph over speed limit. It's not stop and go traffic.

Now that I got this accord same driving style I only got 22 mpg in the same driving conditions! I just filled up and we'll see how it goes. Hoping for at least 30 mpg. I actually drive this easier then my civic! This is all without using Eco more. At this rate I should've gotten a silverado!

Anyone have this problem? The salesman told me he had a bunch of customers get high 30s and some into low 40s! I figure it might improve as the engine breaks in more.

·
No Gears, Got CVT :)
550 Posts
I've only got over 40 when I reset it as I'm driving on the highway.
My average mpg for the 15 months i've own my Accord is 27.4. My last tank was 32.4 Even with the cold weather. See the link to see my total MPGs for all my fillups.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/mikesaccord/accord?fu=5725153

·
2018 Acura TLX Tech
854 Posts
It should get better as it breaks in, and so give it a few tanks at least.

But there's no way an Accord is going to get the same mpg as a Civic. The dealer was blowing smoke.

And remember, winter mpg is lower because of the cold.

In our 2013 EXL CVT we are getting c. 25-28 in the city, and c. 33-38 on the highway. In other words, we are getting close to the epa rating of 27 city, 36 highway, and 30 combined.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I previous had a 2010 civic and I was consistently getting 32-34 mpg driving around. It was about 70% highway cruising at 75 and 30% city cruising a little under 10 mph over speed limit. It's not stop and go traffic.

Now that I got this accord same driving style I only got 22 mpg in the same driving conditions! I just filled up and we'll see how it goes. Hoping for at least 30 mpg. I actually drive this easier then my civic! This is all without using Eco more. At this rate I should've gotten a silverado!

Anyone have this problem? The salesman told me he had a bunch of customers get high 30s and some into low 40s! I figure it might improve as the engine breaks in more.
Are you driving a V6 Accord or an I4?

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I have had my 2014 for only 45 days but am still averaging 29.8MPG on shitty winter gas 70%hwy/30% city. When the motor breaks in and the gas quality gets better in the spring(for the norther regions) I expect to see that number rise 2-3 mpg. On my christmas/new years road trip i got consistent 33-35mpg @ mostly 70-75mph and still it some heavy traffic at times. Eco button does increase mpg by about 2mpg i have found too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I hate these low MPG threads. there are SO MANY factors to MPG. I can drive 100% highway/freeway and get lower MPG than somebody else driving. Try driving on the 405 in West LA during rush hours, whereas somebody out in the boonies with no traffic and even fewer traffic lights. Driving distance is another major factor. Small trips, less than 5 miles, will kill your gas pretty quickly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I hate these low MPG threads. there are SO MANY factors to MPG. I can drive 100% highway/freeway and get lower MPG than somebody else driving. Try driving on the 405 in West LA during rush hours, whereas somebody out in the boonies with no traffic and even fewer traffic lights. Driving distance is another major factor. Small trips, less than 5 miles, will kill your gas pretty quickly.
I know your pain. I wax stuck on the 101 for a good hr today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts

Well for starters, a Civic is not the same size and weight as an Accord; the civic should get better mpg by default. I just got my 2014 Sport CVT about a month ago and have noticed the mpg getting better (according to the trip computer). I drive city and highway 50/50, but use to avg around 25 mpg. Recently its been around 29mpg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in the Northeast and there is never traffic on the highway its just a straight shot to where you want to go. I s uppose that warming my car up could cut down my mpg quite a bit but I only warm it for 5-6 mins when its cold. Recently its been 30-40 so I only wait 3 mins and go. But I haven't had to start it for long in the week I've had it.

I saw on the window sticker that the accord got 27 city and 36 highway so I was expecting 29-33 mpg at least for the way I drive.

·
2018 Acura TLX Tech
854 Posts
pc9460: you are killing your mpg by warming it up. That's not needed with cars today, and in fact hasn't been for a long time.

Just start and go right away (as long as you don't need to scrape the windows) and your mpg should go up from that alone...++

·
No Gears, Got CVT :)
550 Posts
Agree with benjaminh. 3 mins is a long time to sit in the car. I just wait until the lights on the dash go off. Even in the very cold we had a few weeks ago. I just drive a little easyer at the start when it is very cold like 15 or lower (as long as the windows are clear to drive). 30-40 is warm to start a car in the winter.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
pc9460: you are killing your mpg by warming it up. That's not needed with cars today, and in fact hasn't been for a long time.

Just start and go right away (as long as you don't need to scrape the windows) and your mpg should go up from that alone...++
Agree with benjaminh. 3 mins is a long time to sit in the car. I just wait until the lights on the dash go off. Even in the very cold we had a few weeks ago. I just drive a little easyer at the start when it is very cold like 15 or lower (as long as the windows are clear to drive). 30-40 is warm to start a car in the winter.
If I wait long enough for the "H" to come on the iMID screen before moving my car must think thats a good day. I have not warmed a car since I had a carburetor.

Jay

·
S mode
382 Posts
For those that claiming 35+MPG, I don't know how you guys do it because I really try to tap my gas pedal very very light and I still didn't get 35+MPG. Closest I come is 34MPG and that is very very light tap to the gas pedal and my car was crawling to maintain the 34MPG.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm too used to over boosted turbo cars with warm up and cool down times after every trip to make sure oil is where it should be. If I leave before the needle is above C I keep the rpms below 2200. I'm also never in that big of a hurry.

In my V6 which I do 95% highway 680 and 101S (57 miles), I get 34-36...when in Friday evening traffic it's more like 28-29.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts