Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about this model. It seemed to have just hit all the news wires in the past week.

Are people on the board not excited about it? I'm not sure what to think. I probably will just get a regular EXL rather than the hybrid but the new double electric motor design is interesting

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about this model. It seemed to have just hit all the news wires in the past week.

Are people on the board not excited about it? I'm not sure what to think. I probably will just get a regular EXL rather than the hybrid but the new double electric motor design is interesting
It's not on the Honda website, there are no commericals, and there are no magazine/blog reviews or even intial rides yet. Once those are released, people will start talking.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
i'm really excited to drive it. it seems like it will feel like our current 4 cylinder and cvt driving experience with the power of an 8th gen, which is less than the 9th gen, which is ok by me!

people are reported 50-85mpg in this thing! i'm sorely tempted to trade my '13 in if it drives right

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I think I read the EPA milage is 50 MPG. Even with the government rebate you have to keep any hybrid a long time to make the fuel savings surpass the high price tag. Additionally, replacing the lithium ion batteries are not cheap no matter how long they are supposed to last.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
It's not on the Honda website, there are no commericals, and there are no magazine/blog reviews or even intial rides yet. Once those are released, people will start talking.
Welcome to the internet, on2, and that thing called "search":D. Though Skaaat6MT beat me to it....

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...rid/index.html

$32,965 for an EX-L Hybrid....that review (and several others) reported 60+ mpg in the city drives.....sure the Prius is less expensive, but...

1) What is the Federal Gumbit's (if any) tax rebate on this?
2) Does California still supplement the Fed's rebate with one of their own at the state level? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Banned
784 Posts
i'm really excited to drive it. it seems like it will feel like our current 4 cylinder and cvt driving experience with the power of an 8th gen, which is less than the 9th gen, which is ok by me!

people are reported 50-85mpg in this thing! i'm sorely tempted to trade my '13 in if it drives right
You are not going to get 50-85mpg with your driving style. I would think the King can get 50-85 but not you! You drive like as if it was stolen.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I was at Toyota's HQ in Japan in 2000 and saw them developing the first Prius. I asked about battery changes and all the usual stuff people used to discount hybrids over the last 12 years.....they understood that to make the sale they had to back it up.

(Remember Hyundai and Kia's 100,000 mile warranty? No one was buying their cars until they backed them for 100,000. Honda is backing this hybrid.)

Battery prices fell 85% from year 2000, and the batteries do last. 30 minutes ago, a Honda Insight (100,000 miles) was in my driveway. The car had been sitting for a year while the owner was deployed- so the battery died. Honda charged just under $3,000 for a new one.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't believe conventional hybrids qualify for the federal credit anymore, so you only get that with a plug-in hybrid now.

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
I don't believe conventional hybrids qualify for the federal credit anymore, so you only get that with a plug-in hybrid now.

That is correct only EV and plugin hybrids get any sort of rebates

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
That is correct only EV and plugin hybrids get any sort of rebates
That just means that you will have to drive this car a long time to recoupe the high purchase price on milage. However, no one can complain about a CVT transmission that it doesn't have.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think I read the EPA milage is 50 MPG. Even with the government rebate you have to keep any hybrid a long time to make the fuel savings surpass the high price tag. Additionally, replacing the lithium ion batteries are not cheap no matter how long they are supposed to last.
Yup. Unfortunately, this is the case for hybrids and diesels. They're great if you only have to pay for the fuel.

·
Registered
834 Posts

Actually, it should be a lot smoother than our conventional CVT Accords because the new Hybrid is not a belt driven CVT.

"A trick continuously variable transmission (CVT) replaces belts, pulleys, and a torque converter, with two electric motors and a lockup clutch, allowing the engine and motor to work together or independent of one another. The Accord Hybrid’s unique selling proposition is a hybrid system that allows for seamless transitions from gas to electric power."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/la...es-worth-wait-article-1.1481517#ixzz2hZBMBqFA

More info here:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/first-drive-review-2014-honda-accord-hybrid-with-video/

It says 0-60 in 7.9 seconds which only slightly slower than the conventional CVT Accord which does 0-60 in approx 7.5 seconds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
308 Posts
Obviously you don't have access to a little-known service called GOOGLE.

If you Google now you will see many news reports. They obviously had a press day (down in Texas I believe) so all these reporters got to drive it and then write their little articles about it. They are saying 50mpg in city, and one reporter said he thought that was sandbagging since he was getting much more in normal spirited driving.

My wife drives generally short trips around town so the EV-only option up to 60mph is really interesting. I'd need to do some calcs to see what the payback period is though, since she doesn't drive THAT MANY miles per year, and a normal Accord should be in the 28-30 mpg area I believe. Then there is the smaller trunk space, and the questions about this newfangled drive system and whether it will have reliability.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Thanks for the links guys. I guess what I meant was that once more information trickles out, more discussion is to be had. It's still very early.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
say hello to less wearable parts! (or wearable in a different way in the long run lol)

You are not going to get 50-85mpg with your driving style. I would think the King can get 50-85 but not you! You drive like as if it was stolen.
:) I've actually become quite the fuel sipper in my '13 4cyl hitting 30-32mpg in Chicago traffic.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts