Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've been hunting the threads and it seems no one has jumped off this cliff yet so I did.

I've been working on swapping a Display Audio Headunit (non-nav) into my 2014 Accord LX-S Coupe.

I found the stock iMid system to be terribly wanting and the aftermarket does not have a good solution for the upper screen.

Is this swap possible?
YES

Does the Headunit fit?
YES

Can it be installed without modifying the factory harness?
No Cutting is involved at this point. That was my whole point in starting this.

I didn't figure Honda would go to the trouble of changing so much of the car that you couldn't swap this radio in. Would you change can bus messages? Make a new dash for a mid-production refresh? I didn't believe so.

The radio snaps right into the dash where the old radio sat. I did have to trim some leftover edge plastic off the a/c plenum for the back of the radio to clear the dash. Takes 10 seconds with a razor blade. It does need the the newer dash trim that goes from the gauges around the iMid screen as it is taller to properly clear the radio, I do not have this yet.

YES, carplay works. I can't test android auto as I don't have an android.

ANC is disabled. I used its connector to give me the F-Can Bus High/Low and IGN1 connections.

The headunit in question was from a 2016 Accord coupe EX-L. I built a prototype harness to mesh the signals from the car factory wiring to the new radio using connectors from the donor car and stripping out the plugs from a base LX pioneer radio. The Upper iMid screen is also from a 2017 Accord, which is required as the display signaling went from GVIF to LVDS, but the wiring stayed the same, so there is no modification required for the upper screen connections.

The install is not completely finished as there are a couple of things to still check on.
-The 2016 Radio wants a dedicated back trigger for the backup camera and the 2014 car uses CANBUS for the backup signal. I haven't tested the stock backup camera to see if it will work until I trigger this.
-An amplifier is required for an EX-L headunit as the outputs are line-level. The LX does not have an amp and it must be in-lined between the headunit and the car harness, which is what the extra wires hanging everywhere in the picture are. The radio does not communicate with the amp and you can use whatever suits you.
-I did not test AM/FM as I do not have the receiver module. The EX-L radio has an external tuner that would need to be wired in if you want AM/FM. I will probably do this later. The radio autodetects what is attached (when wired correctly), so the FM module simply does not show up in the Audio menu.

All car canbus functions so far work. Vehicle settings, Fuel Mileage and so forth. I did not lose ANY functionality swapping this radio. The factory steering wheel controls also function as they should as they did not change in 2016.

The security codes on these radios are a pain to work with. Honda returned 23 codes for the 2016 radio and it will lock after 10 attempts for an hour, then add one hour for each failed attempt. It took me a week to get the right code to unlock the radio. It has not asked again for a code unless I unplug the unit from the car.

I'm not sure what else to put in unless I can try to answer some questions.

Attachments

·
New to me
67 Posts
Wow, amazing work :notworthy

Thanks for doing this, and posting your results.

When we were looking for a used Accord, I wanted to with a '16 since it had carplay, but the price on the '15 we found was just too good to pass up.

Can you post a wiring diagram? Would you mind sharing what you paid for the radio and upper display?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will take me a while to build a wiring diagram, but it will change a bit depending on what options your call currently has. I built it by just looking at the connector pinouts on Honda's tech website and matching what was already there, with a few exceptions.

$214 for the main touchscreen unit, EX-L model non-nav.
$70 for the upper display
$30 for the second base radio to steal plugs from (I know where to get them now without the radio)
$10 in heat shrink
$100 for an alpine amp pack

So about $430ish I'm in this total. I got the hookup wire for free from some old shielded parallel cable.

Here is where I've installed the amp. I drilled 2 holes in the bracket next to the A/C blower and made an aluminum bracket to support the top of it. Keeps it out of the way. I'm wiring it now. I stole an 18 pin connector from a civic to make it a bit more modular to remove. I hope to have it wired Monday.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I've got the amp installed, and put it back together as much as I can without the dash trim. The Backup Camera Works!! Which is great! This was not swapped to the 2016 camera, it uses the one that came with the car. You do not have view control, but neither did the original one.

Pic 2 is the vent fitment when installed. There is a gap where the screws go, that's because the trim isn't there yet to occupy the space.

Pic 3 is the harness completed. This is an adaption harness, no connectors were cut out of the car's harness, it's completely reversible. I did split some wires out of the looms to make it easier to manage cables, no big deal. The main difficulty with this setup is these cars have different harnesses in them depending on the trim level. The wiring changes depending on if you have LaneWatch, Nav, Sirius, Touchscreen, Base Radio, etc. All the signals needed to run the basic radio are within 6 inches except the Backup Trigger, you have to source that from the footwell unless you have the touchscreen, which puts the backup signal right there in the radio harness.

And pic 4 is semi finished install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
And semi finished install.
This is Great!! I just bought a 2014 Accord EX-L and so want to add the 2016 unit to it. Do you mind sharing the part number you used for the lower unit? Also where did you find the find the wiring diagrams on Honda tech site? Thank you

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a 39100T3L A700 for the main unit, and a 39713-T2A-A71 for the upper display (Alternate 39710-T2A-A71). The upper display is REQUIRED for this to work as the Display Audio main unit is NOT compatible with the 8 inch LCD that is paired with the pioneer base radio.

On the honda site I searched for radio diagram, or just "radio" under the 2016 accord documents. There is a diagram for the pinouts of the radio connectors for each version of the radio. Use this with the same diagram for the stock radio on your car and you can also match them up. I used those and the audio wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you so much for doing this and sharing!! I've been wanting to do this with my 2014 EX, but money is a little tight at the moment so I never felt comfortable taking the leap without being sure it would work.

Just a couple quick questions.

First, the wiring on your harness looks pretty long, was this because you needed to connect it to other parts of the dash harness or was it for simplicity's sake in messing with the connections?

Second, since you mentioned it, where can you get the female (socket) plugs without gutting a donor radio?

Finally, do all the 2016/2017 carplay/android head units have HD radio? I'm just wondering if I'd also have to source a new FM tuner since the 2013-2015 models didn't have HD radio.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wiring harness is long due to the fact I had to add an amplifier in the passenger kick panel as the EX-L radio I have only outputs line level as there is normally an amp already in that car. The main radio harness itself should actually be pretty short, as most of the wires are right there, you should be able to make it around 6 inches. I had to steal a few things from the ANC unit and the backup light wire, but not much.

Mouser carries the plugs for the radio. They are JAE automotive connectors. I believe it is the MX34 series. I have not looked up the part numbers for them yet.

I do not know at this time which radios have HD radio built in. Mine has built in XM and the AM/FM is an external unit, which makes little sense to me. The wiring diagrams show some headunits that have HD radio in them. They have the rectangular antenna connector on the left side (when looking from the back).

·
Registered
25 Posts
This sounds like it would be perfect! I really really want to have Carplay. As my username kind of makes obvious, I have a 2014 EX-L V6, so I have the non-navi touchscreen lower unit.

Now, I'm very sorry for these rather stupid questions, because I'm not very familiar with the terminology.

First, is the 2014 EX-L upper screen compatible with the 2016/17 lower head unit, or would I have to replace both screens? I see you said that the 2014 base radio is not compatible, but I wonder if by any chance the EX-L would be? That'd be really nice if so.

Second, would I need to install an amp, or is the 2014 EX-L head unit's audio output line level like the 2016's? And would I need to steal connections from the ANC and backup like you did, or do the connections match up? Especially the backup camera - would that work plug-and-play by any miracle?

Finally, what trim pieces would I have to purchase? Did you ever get that top trim piece that fits under the upper screen, or is it still open?

I'm so sorry for all the questions! I really wish this were easy, because it seems like the perfect upgrade. Thank you for all your work making this post!!!

For the trim, which of the following pieces was it that you had to change, or was it both? And did they just snap into place in the 2014?

Here's the video I got the screencaps from:

·
Legitimate hack
1,673 Posts
OP, do you have anything new to add and how things are functioning?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP, do you have anything new to add and how things are functioning?
I haven't added anything else to it yet. I do need to add the 2nd usb, that would be nice. So far everything is working fine, other than carplay doing weird things once in a while, but thats the state of apple now.

This sounds like it would be perfect! I really really want to have Carplay. As my username kind of makes obvious, I have a 2014 EX-L V6, so I have the non-navi touchscreen lower unit.

Now, I'm very sorry for these rather stupid questions, because I'm not very familiar with the terminology.

First, is the 2014 EX-L upper screen compatible with the 2016/17 lower head unit, or would I have to replace both screens? I see you said that the 2014 base radio is not compatible, but I wonder if by any chance the EX-L would be? That'd be really nice if so.

Second, would I need to install an amp, or is the 2014 EX-L head unit's audio output line level like the 2016's? And would I need to steal connections from the ANC and backup like you did, or do the connections match up? Especially the backup camera - would that work plug-and-play by any miracle?

Finally, what trim pieces would I have to purchase? Did you ever get that top trim piece that fits under the upper screen, or is it still open?

I'm so sorry for all the questions! I really wish this were easy, because it seems like the perfect upgrade. Thank you for all your work making this post!!!

For the trim, which of the following pieces was it that you had to change, or was it both? And did they just snap into place in the 2014?

View attachment 513880
View attachment 513881

Here's the video I got the screencaps from:
Questions aren't stupid. Ask away, I'll try to help however I can.

The 2014 upper screen is NOT compatible with the 2017 lower unit. The 2014 uses Gigabit video interface (GVIF) and the 2016+ uses LVDS signaling for the upper screen. Same cable, new signals. 39713-T2A-A71 for the upper display, (Alternate 39710-T2A-A71)

If you have an amp in the passenger kickpanel, it is likely line level, but I'd have to double check the wiring diagrams. The EX-L probably has an amp. My 2016 radio was from an EX-L and it is line level and required an amp.

There are almost no plugs that are interchangeable from the 2014 to 2016+ car-to-radio, an adapation harness is needed for almost all the plugs. The backup camera will work fine, the 2016+ radio will give you options for different views, but they won't change as the camera is not capable of that. That requires the newer camera and running 2 new wires. The dynamic steering lines work also on the backup camera, unless you like them turned off.

I haven't gotten the trim pieces yet. I'll see about really getting after it and find out how well it fits. There are, I think, 3 trim pieces that have to change. I'll try to update this when I get ahold of some.

Sweet project. I swapped from 2014 to 2015 touchscreen but 2016 seems much more useful!
I looked at the 2015 touchscreen, I didn't like the resistive touch display, and the software seemed a bit fiddly. The 2016+ is a lot faster, the software does have a few quirks, but seems much more functional to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I've been hunting the threads and it seems no one has jumped off this cliff yet so I did.

I've been working on swapping a Display Audio Headunit (non-nav) into my 2014 Accord LX-S Coupe.

I found the stock iMid system to be terribly wanting and the aftermarket does not have a good solution for the upper screen.

Is this swap possible?
YES

Does the Headunit fit?
YES

Can it be installed without modifying the factory harness?
No Cutting is involved at this point. That was my whole point in starting this.

I didn't figure Honda would go to the trouble of changing so much of the car that you couldn't swap this radio in. Would you change can bus messages? Make a new dash for a mid-production refresh? I didn't believe so.

The radio snaps right into the dash where the old radio sat. I did have to trim some leftover edge plastic off the a/c plenum for the back of the radio to clear the dash. Takes 10 seconds with a razor blade. It does need the the newer dash trim that goes from the gauges around the iMid screen as it is taller to properly clear the radio, I do not have this yet.

YES, carplay works. I can't test android auto as I don't have an android.

ANC is disabled. I used its connector to give me the F-Can Bus High/Low and IGN1 connections.

The headunit in question was from a 2016 Accord coupe EX-L. I built a prototype harness to mesh the signals from the car factory wiring to the new radio using connectors from the donor car and stripping out the plugs from a base LX pioneer radio. The Upper iMid screen is also from a 2017 Accord, which is required as the display signaling went from GVIF to LVDS, but the wiring stayed the same, so there is no modification required for the upper screen connections.

The install is not completely finished as there are a couple of things to still check on.
-The 2016 Radio wants a dedicated back trigger for the backup camera and the 2014 car uses CANBUS for the backup signal. I haven't tested the stock backup camera to see if it will work until I trigger this.
-An amplifier is required for an EX-L headunit as the outputs are line-level. The LX does not have an amp and it must be in-lined between the headunit and the car harness, which is what the extra wires hanging everywhere in the picture are. The radio does not communicate with the amp and you can use whatever suits you.
-I did not test AM/FM as I do not have the receiver module. The EX-L radio has an external tuner that would need to be wired in if you want AM/FM. I will probably do this later. The radio autodetects what is attached (when wired correctly), so the FM module simply does not show up in the Audio menu.

All car canbus functions so far work. Vehicle settings, Fuel Mileage and so forth. I did not lose ANY functionality swapping this radio. The factory steering wheel controls also function as they should as they did not change in 2016.

The security codes on these radios are a pain to work with. Honda returned 23 codes for the 2016 radio and it will lock after 10 attempts for an hour, then add one hour for each failed attempt. It took me a week to get the right code to unlock the radio. It has not asked again for a code unless I unplug the unit from the car.

I'm not sure what else to put in unless I can try to answer some questions.
Hi i have a 2013 accord exl non navi i want to upgrade the radio and top screen to 2016 or 17 accord exl now will all the plugs just plug and play for all the factory functions the same does it fits right in and does it comes with its build in amp like the 2013 thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shade, when you complete this project, a DIY write up would be much appreciated. I can't speak for others, but I'd be happy to throw a few bucks in the hat for your time to make a write up like this. I have a '15 coupe, and the stereo is the most lacking area of this vehicle. I've already upgraded my factory, amp, but I feel like there's a loss of quality through Bluetooth that maybe car play could fix. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I'd still like the upgraded HU.

Reactions: kundu

·
Registered
765 Posts
@shadethegray you are a god!

I've had my car for 5.5 years and have been struggling to add CarPlay. One forum member had the best install / solution where he relocated his head unit to the trunk and installed a Kenwood head unit. His username here is TMVB. Sadly he is now deceased.

I recall when the newer models started shipping with CarPlay I looked into this... at the time it was thought to be impossible, but you've proven it's not. Well done.

My car is a 2014 Accord Hybrid EX-L. I think for these purposes the hybrid aspect won't matter as I've found most of the radio and related tech to be the same as a normal EX-L.

Hoping that an EX-L will be closer to plug and play. It has multiple backup camera views (which I never change) and I suppose it has a separate amp and tuner module, etc.

Rough draft, I'd need:
head unit
upper display
trim pieces - vents, etc.
wiring harnesses, adapters

EXCITING!!!

I used a 39100T3L A700 for the main unit
I'm not having any luck searching for those numbers.

Is this the right page from Honda's parts catalog?

ITEM 5
39101-T2F-A71CP display audio (rmd)(customer pay) $646.54
39101-T2F-A71RM display audio (rmd)(warranty) $646.54
39170-T2F-A61 panel assy. (coo) $1,075.88

ITEM 6
39101-T2F-A71CP display audio (rmd)(customer pay) $646.54
39101-T2F-A71RM display audio (rmd)(warranty) $646.54
39171-T2F-A71 audio unit assy., base (clarion) $2,361.67

Which parts would I order if I were going to pay Honda for new parts? I think I know, but want to be clear.

Helpful link

·
Registered
765 Posts
Does the Headunit fit?
YES
When you say the headunit fits, I presume it bolts up. Are you including the AC vents on either side of the screen when talking about the headunit, since it all typically comes as one big bundle when buying from salvage places. Really concerned about how the trim pieces line up.

The AC vents look like they have a different shape, so I'm concerned that whole unit won't just bolt into place cleanly. Could you clarify please?

May have answered my own question about fitment. I Googled "2016 Accord dashboard" to try to get a visual. One of the first results was an eBay auction for "2013 - 2017 Honda Accord Sedan dashboard". Clicking through the auction and see that eBay provides an extensive list of Accords that this fits, essentially everything from 2013 to 2017, or all 9th gens.

Here's the link to the auction (note that if you're reading this several months from now it may have expired)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2017-...hboard-Free-Shipping-Dash-Board-/232653000534

So if that instrument panel / dashboard / cover is the same across all 9th generation Accords, and the OP says the 2016 radio bolts up, I'm going to move forward in crossing that question off my list.

It does need the the newer dash trim that goes from the gauges around the iMid screen as it is taller to properly clear the radio, I do not have this yet.
I guess this is what you're talking about??

Just bought a 39101-T3L-A71 radio for $425 and a 39710-T2A-A31 screen assembly for $42. Wish me luck. I'll be back.

CRAP. Just realized I bought a head unit with navigation. Don't want navigation. Don't currently have navigation. That's what happens when I try to just get moving on a project, but do it late at night :( .

Hope the seller is flexible. Will try to cancel and take a little more time.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Luckily, seller was very gracious and cancelled the order.

Besides eBay, what's a good source online to buy one of the head units?

I'm in the US. See a lot of radios for sale online from the Canadian market like this model: 39101 T2W C72 where the "C" in "C72" designates Canada vs an "A" for North America. Would one of those work? Some are advertised for the Sport, which in the US doesn't have a touchscreen radio. Also, I don't want my fuel economy displayed in liters :D .

Just bought a radio from an EX-L

Just bought a radio that matches these vehicles:
Honda Accord 2016-2016 (US market), receiver and face panel, Sdn, EX-L (leather), w/o navigation
Honda Accord 2017-2017 (US market), receiver assembly, Sedan, EX-L ( leather ), w/o navigation

The numbers on that radio:
On the Clarion label:
39101-T2F-A91
QY-5111
On the barcode:
39100T2f A900
mfg dat 7/11/2016

Mouser carries the plugs for the radio. They are JAE automotive connectors. I believe it is the MX34 series. I have not looked up the part numbers for them yet.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I studied the wiring diagrams of my 2014 audio unit and matched up everything I could to the 2016 diagrams. Just about every wire connecting to the 2016 is accounted for. Two of the connectors can be simply plugged into the 2016 without modification. The rest need some rearranging.

Here's what I can't identify in my 2014 that is listed on the 2016 connectors, in rough summary.

Connector B HFT/NAVI REMOTE SW. Might be because I don't have a Navi car.

Connector C - almost a pin for pin match of the old Connector G. C7 is labeled BACK LT and is "Reverse signal of shift position/mode" on new diagram. On old the description is slightly different an pulls from pin 24 and is color ORN whereas its called TAN on new.

The biggest hitch on C is two F-CAN bus signals low and high and a IG1 METER power source. Don't recall seeing reference to F-CAN bus on old, only B-CAN.

Connectors F & G are two USB ports. I think one is used for the HandsFreeControl unit and the other is the user USB for their phone or whatever, on the old car. On the new one they call one port "USB port C" and the other port "media hub unit".

Connector J receives connections from the B and C connections on the old unit. It also has unaccounted for MIC + and -, AMP MUTE, HFT MUTE and MIC PWR and a shield for the MIC. Looks like it's all ANC stuff.

Connector K is for an HD radio antenna amplifier. My car didn't come with HD radio so some other hardware may not be present on my car, like and special HD radio antenna or amplifier module.

Connector L is an input for a GPS antenna. Probably don't have one of those on my car since it didn't come with Nav and the head unit I ordered was a non Nav HU.

Connector M is for XM radio antenna. I do have Sirius XM now. But there's no explicit antenna input on my current radio. Maybe an external tuner or module.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@shadethegray - thanks much for starting this thread and documenting what you have so far!
@timeshifter - I have a 2013 Accord EX-L and am very interested in how your install goes and any documentation and lessons learned you have, as I am strongly considering going the same route now that the two of you have trail-blazed!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts