Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
@shadethegray - thanks much for starting this thread and documenting what you have so far!
@timeshifter - I have a 2013 Accord EX-L and am very interested in how your install goes and any documentation and lessons learned you have, as I am strongly considering going the same route now that the two of you have trail-blazed!
I'm getting close. Trying to figure out the remaining pieces of the wiring puzzle and optimistic that I might be able to source the connectors from Mouser to build a plug and play wiring harness. What I learn will likely directly apply to your 2013 EX-L.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I stayed up last night and did a little research... My car is a '15 EX-L V6 Coupe w/o NAV. Looking for the stereo out of a 2016-'17 Accord, I was able to find a few different ones. The ones I found to be the best value and best availability happen to be the navigation units.

I poured over the component locations on Honda Service Express and it seems there are only a few differences (Besides what's already been stated) from the 2013-'15 vehicles with the touch screen HU no NAV (My vehicle), and the 2016-'17 vehicles with Carplay and NAV which are:

'13-'15 vehicles have a standalone XM Radio Receiver
'16-'17 vehicles have XM Built into the head unit (if equipt),
NAV vehicles have TMC-RDS/FM Radio Antenna

Since my car doesn't have NAV I would also need to add in the GPS Antenna, and the TMC-RDS/FM Radio Antenna Amplifier.

The wiring is also completely different as stated above.

My only hang up on this is finding all of the female sockets so that I can make a harness so that I don't have to tear into my car's harness.

Edit: I think I might've found the connectors:

I did already share those links with Corey. I won't have the F connector to send to him, but if someone can take some detailed pics of the plug and maybe even get the dimensions of the plug, that would help. Or if you can snag one of those plugs from a junk yard harness, you can ship it to him.

I started looking at the plugs tonight. If you look real close, and I mean real close, you can see there are markings on the plugs. I have been able to verify these are JAE plugs. Japan Aviation Electronics Industry,Limited

I know some of you won't find this one helpful, but I started with the USB plug as it was the easiest to read the markings on. I do plan to use this on my swap so I can keep the factory charge port active. Here are the details on the plug. As of now, I'm identifying the plugs - I have not yet tried to locate a distributor.

K plug - USB 2.0
JAE MX49 Series MB-0252-1
JAE Technology to Inspire Innovation / Series Search / Detail / MX49
http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=MB-0252-1E_MX49.pdf

I'll work on the others as time permits, hopefully more tonight. Feel free to help :grin

G plug - Backup Camera
JAE MX34024UF1 or MX34024UF3 (plugs on head unit), and MX34024SF1 (plug on wire harness). Note, I'm not yet sure if the needed part number ends in UF1 or UF3. I'll need to look at the drawings in more detail.

http://www.jae.com/z-en/s-slist2_en.cfm?series_code=MX34&sFlg3=0

http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ100221.pdf
http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ107613.pdf
http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ104914.pdf

For what its worth, I believe 3 of the plugs (C, D, G) all use the MX34 plug. We should be able to substitute the "024" from the G plug with the number of pins on the corresponding D and G plugs to find our part numbers.

As always, please double check me and notify me of any necessary corrections.

H plug - iMid display (video)
JAE MX48
JAE Technology to Inspire Innovation / Series Search / Detail / MX48
http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=MB-0249-1E_MX48.pdf
JAE | connectors | product list | MX48002NQ1
http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ110279.pdf

Distributors
JAE Technology to Inspire Innovation

MX034 example at Digi-Key (with price) https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jae-electronics/MX34024UF1/670-2295-ND/2044206
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jae-electronics/MX34024SF1/670-2927-ND/2139263

·
Registered
713 Posts
For every input for the 2016-2017 radio I've been able to map almost every wire from my 2014 radio, exact matches according to the diagrams.

One wire was almost exact:
2014: G24 BACK LT Reverse signal of select lever from reverse relay circuit ORN
2016: C7 BACK LT Reverse signal of shift position/mode TAN

QUESTION: Is it possible they're the same thing just described differently?

Have not been able to match these:

B12 HFT/NAVI REMOTE SW Detects control signal from HFL switch LT BLU

C1 F-CAN_L F-CAN bus communication signal RED
C13 F-CAN_H F-CAN bus communication signal WHT
C17 IG1 METER IG1 power source BRN

J10 MIC- Inputs microphone signal RED
J11 MIC+ Inputs microphone signal GRN
J12 SH MIC Shield for terminals No. 10 and No. 11 GRY
J25 MIC PWR Power source for front HFT-ANC/active sound control microphone WHT
J27 HFT MUTE HFL mute signal PUR

M1 SAT/TER Inputs XM signal
M2 SH (SAT/TER) Shield for terminal No. 1

QUESTIONS:

B12 - safely leave that out as I'm not using Navi?

C1, C13, C17 - don't know what F-CAN is. A different CAN bus? Does my car have F? Do I need it?

J10, J11, J12, J25, J27 - ANC? Not needed? Or, need these features for hands free telephone use?

M1, M2 - I have Sirius XM radio, but there's is no antenna connector on 2014 head unit. I believe it's a separate unit. I could do without and just leave alone. However, I do need AM/FM. I believe that's a separate unit too, but not too clear on how that would fit in here.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Studying the schematics...
B12 HFT/NAVI REMOTE SW Detects control signal from HFL switch LT BLU
It looks like the 2016-2017 vehicles have the HandsFreeLink Control unit integrated into the Audio Unit. “B12 HFT/NAVI REMOTE SW Detects control signal from HFL switch LT BLU”

On the 2014 the light blue wire from the HFL/HFL-Navigation Voice Control Switch goes around to a separate HandsFreeLink Control Unit. In this upgrade I suppose you could just disconnect that from the stand alone HandsFreeLink Control Unit and plug it in to B12.

An integrated HandsFreeLink Control Unit for the 2016-2017 models also seems to explain the missing J10 J11 J12 J25 and J27. On the 2016-2017 those are coming from the Front HFL-ANC/Active Sound Control Microphone on go straight to the Audio Unit. On the 2014 all those wires go to the HandsFreeLink Control Unit.

Also explains why you have two USB ports on the 2016-2017 available to the driver - one in the front pocket and one in the armrest. On my 2014 one of the USB ports on the Audio Unit is connected to the HandsFreeLink Control Unit. But it’s free on the 2016-2017.

The 2014 has a separate XM tuner while the 2016-2017 appears that the XM tuner is integrated into the Audio Unit. The Roof Antenna Sub Amplifier appears different between the models too. Four wires plus ground on the 2014 and five wires plus ground on the 2016-2017.

Don’t know if the AM / FM tuner module is different between the two also. I’m going to say yes because it seems that HD Radio.

So to make this all work looks like different antenna amplifier (and antenna?) and a different tuning module?

Don’t know if the AM / FM tuner module is different between the two also. I’m going to say yes because it seems that HD Radio.
Looking at the Audio System Component Location Index for each car and I'm 99% sure the tuners are different.

On the 2016-2017 there's an XM antenna wire that goes from the antenna above the rear window to the dashboard Audio Unit. On the 2014 that antenna lead goes to the trunk area where the XM Receiver is located.

ANC may be different. Again on the Audio System Component Location Index they're labeled differently. On the 2014 it's called "FRONT ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION MICROPHONE" and "REAR ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION MICROPHONE". On the 2016-2017 it's called 'FRONT ANC/ACTIVE SOUND CONTROL MICROPHONE" and "REAR ANC/ACTIVE SOUND CONTROL MICROPHONE" .

The ANC module on the 2014 is listed as 'ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION UNIT" and on the 2016-2017 it's labeled "ANC/ACTIVE SOUND CONTROL UNIT"

Bottom line: I'd need to remove or abandon the HANDSFREELINK (HFL) CONTROL UNIT and the XM RECEIVER. I'd need to replace the TUNER UNIT. I'd also need to replace the ANC mics front and back and the ANC/ACTIVE SOUND CONTROL unit.

·
Registered
46 Posts

So to make this all work looks like different antenna amplifier (and antenna?) and a different tuning module?

Looking at the Audio System Component Location Index for each car and I'm 99% sure the tuners are different.

On the 2016-2017 there's an XM antenna wire that goes from the antenna above the rear window to the dashboard Audio Unit. On the 2014 that antenna lead goes to the trunk area where the XM Receiver is located.
I noticed this as well, the part numbers are definitely different, aren't the plugs and everything are the same on the FM/AM tuners? If I end up doing this swap, I'm gonna test my old tuner first and then buy a new one if I need to.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'd need to replace the TUNER UNIT.
I noticed this as well, the part numbers are definitely different, aren't the plugs and everything are the same on the FM/AM tuners? If I end up doing this swap, I'm gonna test my old tuner first and then buy a new one if I need to.
The good news is that the wiring for the old and the new appears identical, like it's the one plug that doesn't have to be adapted. Looked up the tuner pin outs and they're the same between old and new too. So, now I'm pretty confident the old tuner might work.

If you want XM then it looks like you'll need to extend the antenna lead from the passenger side of the trunk to under the dash (or from the roof like they do from the factory)

The remaining question now is ANC. Are they different or just named differently. Can they plug and play? Do we even care - as a lot of people have disabled ANC on these cars. I do want hands free phone calls and Siri so we do need a working mic.

C1 F-CAN_L F-CAN bus communication signal RED
C13 F-CAN_H F-CAN bus communication signal WHT
I found these. They're on A2 BLU and A4 PNK.
J10 MIC- Inputs microphone signal RED
J11 MIC+ Inputs microphone signal GRN
J12 SH MIC Shield for terminals No. 10 and No. 11 GRY
J25 MIC PWR Power source for front HFT-ANC/active sound control microphone WHT
J27 HFT MUTE HFL mute signal PUR
On the 2014 the wires from the front ANC go to the HandsFreeLink Control Unit. The 2016-2017 doesn't have a separate HandsFreeLink Control Unit, and it looks like the wires from the ANC can go right to the Audio Unit.
C17 IG1 METER IG1 power source BRN
This is the only one I have no clue about. So that's one of the last issues. The other issue is whether or not the ANC units the same. If they are that's a big help.

The remaining question now is ANC. Are they different or just named differently. Can they plug and play? Do we even care - as a lot of people have disabled ANC on these cars. I do want hands free phone calls and Siri so we do need a working mic.
I misunderstood the ANC setup. I thought there was a front ANC unit and a rear ANC unit. I was confusing the mics with ANC units. There is only one ANC unit. There are two mics - one front and one back.

The rear mic connects only to the ANC unit. The front mic connects directly to the Audio Unit on the newer cars. The front mic connects directly the the HandsFreeLink Control Unit on the older cars. So I think I don't need ANC working to have a working mic. If I want ANC working it looks close to plug and play in terms of wiring. The part numbers between the 2014 and 2016-2017 are very similar. If I need one they're $50 or less.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have ANC disabled on my car. Handsfree calling still works. Can't speak for Siri, though. And I never noticed ANC making a difference, personally, but I work in heavy industry and am hard hearing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So did you just unplug the connector from the ANC unit or from the back of the head unit?

Why did you do it? For better sound?
So before I had installed an Amplifier to replace the factory amp, I had unplugged the ANC unit. From my understanding, it also becomes disabled without the factory amp as well.

And I did it to get better sound quality.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The radio I ordered was never delivered. When I inquired they just issued a refund.

Still need to figure out how to get the F-Can signals and the IGN lead, and how to get the Mic signal in. Once I've got that I'd like to source connectors to build a harness. And of course order another radio.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've given up on this idea. The main thing that scared me off was a user posting on another non-car forum in a CarPlay thread. He had been having issues with his 2017 Accord's CarPlay and GPS. All stock stuff. It dawned on me that if I had any kinds of problems with the install there would be next to zero help with it. Plus, you'd still just have a stock radio in the end. I've installed a cheap Sony CarPlay unit and it sounds so much better than my stock radio, and I didn't change speakers or amps or anything else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
any update from Shade on this as i was able to get Radio and IMid screen at a reasonable price.Have a Hybrid EX-L 2015 and will be swapping with 2017 Radio with Carplay.need to get Reverse camera signal and ANC pins relocated for 2017,need some clarity on other IGN1 and ANC mic connections.Will need to make a Harness using metra 1729 ,1730.2015 came with XM and Fm tuner so need to figure out tuner connections as well and since i have premium audio amp is already on the (assuming).Any inputs appreciated.

Got the reciever last week,tried to bench test it and can hear cd/dvd spin up but no display .wondering if can bus signal or any other signal is needed for the display to power up .was expecting the unit to display something like asking for security code just like Keep_hope_alive did for 2015 swap project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look at previous posts
Sorry, I could only find the Audio Unit Connector In/Out document for 13-15 models (ones timeshifter posted). I will need one for the 2016 EX model which is what I'll be swapping the H/U with. Any info on this is appreciated and I will keep digging the forums.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry, I could only find the Audio Unit Connector In/Out document for 13-15 models (ones timeshifter posted). I will need one for the 2016 EX model which is what I'll be swapping the H/U with. Any info on this is appreciated and I will keep digging the forums.
This is the doc i am following,pretty much have all the connections mapped.If i can only have this radio power up with display can continue to build a harness and go from there.

you would need to follow the other doc as well to get the mappings for FCAn and IGN etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the doc i am following,pretty much have all the connections mapped.If i can only have this radio power up with display can continue to build a harness and go from there.

you would need to follow the other doc as well to get the mappings for FCAn and IGN etc.
Much appreciated! Hopefully someone can send me the other documents as well.

Thank you

·
Registered
504 Posts
All you need is ground and 2 positives, 1 constant and 1 acc on signal, location of those pins you have in diagrams. If your screen is off, then make sure it makes a good and proper connection to the unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Cepega,tried that.All i hear is cd turning on,display does not come on.Is it possible that power is not enough for the unit to power up as i am using a 2 Amp 12 volt power supply with low wattage.will have to plug the unit in the car next if this does not help.Any thoughts!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts