Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
I used old power supply from desktop PC to power unit outside if the vehicle. You'll need to know how to turn it on and which pins are 5v, 12v and ground.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks Cepega,tried that.All i hear is cd turning on,display does not come on.Is it possible that power is not enough for the unit to power up as i am using a 2 Amp 12 volt power supply with low wattage.will have to plug the unit in the car next if this does not help.Any thoughts!
I had tried to power on my extra head unit on a bench with a PC power supply. Didn't get far. It turned out the the 13-15 head unit I was using needed two connections with a full time 12V. A and F and I recall. I was only trying the power lead to the A connector, and maybe the IGN. But, as I did my install I learned that both the A and F leads for power had to be present.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks timeshifter connected IGN as well,no dice.guessing my low power supply is not enough,will connect to the car tomorrow and try.may have to temporarily use the positive from pin 3 of A connector for IGN in C17 and see if that helps as well as i have that attached to the harness i am making for this retrofit.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I tore apart, condensed the factory head unit. What I noticed is that it's two pieces connected together, a top and a bottom. I think that both halves need a continuous 12V.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used old power supply from desktop PC to power unit outside if the vehicle. You'll need to know how to turn it on and which pins are 5v, 12v and ground.
Thanks Cepega for suggesting desktop power supply method.tried that and confirmed my unit was defective.Seller accepted return.Hopefully my next unit will power on fine.will be getting new unit new week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wanting to attempt this swap as well, haven't done much research yet, do you think this might be easier in my case ?I have a 2014 EX-L it has the smaller screen with the two knobs, only the knobs would be changing to digital? So would it be more likely all of the wiring harnesses be almost plug n play?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wanting to attempt this swap as well, haven't done much research yet, do you think this might be easier in my case ?I have a 2014 EX-L it has the smaller screen with the two knobs, only the knobs would be changing to digital? So would it be more likely all of the wiring harnesses be almost plug n play?
No it not just changing knobs ,will be starting on this again as i was able to get 2016 radio again.my goal is to make a new harness and about 7 connections that would need to be tapped to HFL/ANC.and swapping a few pins .all handles via mx 34 male and female connetors.Standby for updates as i start working on them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
any update from Shade on this as i was able to get Radio and IMid screen at a reasonable price.Have a Hybrid EX-L 2015 and will be swapping with 2017 Radio with Carplay.need to get Reverse camera signal and ANC pins relocated for 2017,need some clarity on other IGN1 and ANC mic connections.Will need to make a Harness using metra 1729 ,1730.2015 came with XM and Fm tuner so need to figure out tuner connections as well and since i have premium audio amp is already on the (assuming).Any inputs appreciated.

Got the reciever last week,tried to bench test it and can hear cd/dvd spin up but no display .wondering if can bus signal or any other signal is needed for the display to power up .was expecting the unit to display something like asking for security code just like Keep_hope_alive did for 2015 swap project.
I'm sorry for the ridiculously slow response. I'll be much more active on this thread to help were I can. I abandoned the ANC system altogether, the 2016+ cars use a different ANC unit and cannot be used as far as I can tell. I stole it's canbus connection. I'll look at my harness if you still need some help, although I hope you got it working. Canbus is not required to power up the radio, it will power up and eventually ask for a code when not connected to the car. I went through 3 radios from LKQ before I got one that worked right. 2 were duds.

Thanks Cepega,tried that.All i hear is cd turning on,display does not come on.Is it possible that power is not enough for the unit to power up as i am using a 2 Amp 12 volt power supply with low wattage.will have to plug the unit in the car next if this does not help.Any thoughts!
I powered mine up on the bench using a 10 amp DC power supply. I couldn't tell you what it actually draws, but I would try to run it with more than 2 amps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sorry for the ridiculously slow response. I'll be much more active on this thread to help were I can. I abandoned the ANC system altogether, the 2016+ cars use a different ANC unit and cannot be used as far as I can tell. I stole it's canbus connection. I'll look at my harness if you still need some help, although I hope you got it working. Canbus is not required to power up the radio, it will power up and eventually ask for a code when not connected to the car. I went through 3 radios from LKQ before I got one that worked right. 2 were duds.

I powered mine up on the bench using a 10 amp DC power supply. I couldn't tell you what it actually draws, but I would try to run it with more than 2 amps.
Thank you so much for getting back,i will getting same exact model you used(seller is slow to ship).was about to tap into fuse for IGN guess i can use ANC connections if ANC is not used anyway.Did do a dry run friday and upper display is a drop in with no need for trim etc which is good news as i have 2015 EX-L hybrid.
i went long route of getting metra 71-1731 and getting a 70-1729 2 of them and adding pins etc.
ordered a few MX34 female and male connectors so i can remap pins to make this as clean as possible like connecting tuner pins.
i need to unpin reverse light and move that pin as well as C17 control signal as that is now IGN cable for the unit to power.
Sorry about long reply as i wanted your opinion as well as inform other users who may be thinking doing the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
That sounds like a plan. I had to tap into the reverse light in the kick panel, it was the only wire I had to actually use a tap on as I don't like using them, they are damaging and unreliable. I have the base radio originally, and honda does not wire them the same as the EX+ models. If the car doesn't have the options, they don't even put the wiring in the car! I also had to add a power wire off of the drivers fuse panel using a fuse jumper in a blank fuse location, which works great. I think that was for the IGN circuit. I'll have to look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That sounds like a plan. I had to tap into the reverse light in the kick panel, it was the only wire I had to actually use a tap on as I don't like using them, they are damaging and unreliable. I have the base radio originally, and honda does not wire them the same as the EX+ models. If the car doesn't have the options, they don't even put the wiring in the car! I also had to add a power wire off of the drivers fuse panel using a fuse jumper in a blank fuse location, which works great. I think that was for the IGN circuit. I'll have to look.
I was abe to finally get radio powered up with cable i made,now the fun part,just like shade got 22 codes that i would need to test to get right one and tie the loose ends like connecting hfl mic working etc.this project needed a lot of patience ;).will post updates as i make progress.just bench test so far(on the car).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks to Shade for all the inspiration,was able to test radio finally on the car.i am getting a usb malfunction error.
FM/AM Radio works fine as my cable is connected to tuner connector as well,upper display works fine as well.i did not connect bcan or fcan connections yet,which is triggering the signal that my car is moving and not letting me add my pair my phone.it does recognize my phone when hooked up to usb (same message about car is in motion).
radio needs more room in the back,guessing we need a new AC blower plenum for 2016 which i believe is contoured to accommodate back of the radio.simply did not want to cut it as that may reduce heat/cold air to the vent.
rear cam works fine as well,camera is pointed low and needs to be adjusted ,all the views work for me though.
Lane watch is not working and screen goes blank most likely b can not connected or my cable has issues checking.
coming along well i guess. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The radio does not need more room, it will fit. Look at your plenum, mine had a little bit of extra plastic left on it from moulding that needed to be trimmed off for the radio to fit. It doesn't interfere with the connectors, it just hits the top of the radio. You don't have to cut INTO the plenum, just the excess plastic left over. I have a picture of mine somewhere, let me find it.

I had to cut off the overhang here in the picture flush with the dash, you can see where I started cutting with a box knife on the right side of it. If you don't remove that, the radio won't fit, it's excess plastic and doesn't do anything. Just be careful not to gouge it into the actual plenum space. If you do, you can just seal it, it's just plastic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
. View attachment 519479

I had to cut off the overhang here in the picture flush with the dash, you can see where I started cutting with a box knife on the right side of it. If you don't remove that, the radio won't fit, it's excess plastic and doesn't do anything. Just be careful not to gouge it into the actual plenum space. If you do, you can just seal it, it's just plastic.
Thanks Shade,was going to do that this week,after the weather gets better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
I finally got the parts together to finish the dash out. These pieces are from an EX, I ordered them online.

Part Numbers:
77200-T2F-A11ZA - Visor Assy, Meter NH617L
77209-T2F-A21ZA - Lid Assy, Visor (LOWER) NH167L
77222-T2J-H12ZA - Garnish, Driver NH167L

You have to swap the sensor from your old Garnish to the new one. 2 screws. These are all needed to finish out the dash as the new radio is taller than the original one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nicely done finishing out the project with the factory trim. Looks awesome. I assume a dealership would be quite confused if they were servicing it - i see them looking at the radio and having to check the year listed a few times. :)
Agree with k_h_a as i will be doing the same now that my project is done as well.for now stuck the lid visor that i have to make cover up.managed to do the job almost no cutting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Nicely done finishing out the project with the factory trim. Looks awesome. I assume a dealership would be quite confused if they were servicing it - i see them looking at the radio and having to check the year listed a few times. :)
I would hope they would be confused, but they seem to not even look twice. That makes me wonder if they look at specifications at all when servicing a car.

Agree with k_h_a as i will be doing the same now that my project is done as well.for now stuck the lid visor that i have to make cover up.managed to do the job almost no cutting.
Did you get your tuner issue resolved? You had said it disappeared.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i did a diagnosis test and tuner comes up as NG as it looks like GA communication bus is looking for newer tuner which is HD as well(from diag screen options).and my 2015 hybrid rear view camera is not compatible with 2016 radio too.screen view is completely off like different wide angle view etc

41 - 60 of 103 Posts