Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
How did you reroute the CANBUS functions for the reverse trigger? You mention getting it from the footwell, but I dont follow. I'm doing something similar, taking an EXL head unit and putting it in an LX and the wiring harness is keeping me from getting the reverse camera to work and I get a number of ACC red lights in the diagnostic mode for the bus functions. The LX uses CANBUS to trigger the camera, the EXL uses a pin from a diode in the backup camera system, and to get to it Id have to remove the steering wheel. Any advice is appreciated!
I'm pretty sure that the EX-L radio just uses a positive trigger. I'd have to look at the diagrams again to be certain. If that's the case, you can pull that from the power wire for the reverse lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the EX-L radio just uses a positive trigger. I'd have to look at the diagrams again to be certain. If that's the case, you can pull that from the power wire for the reverse lights.
I know where the reverse lights diode is in the dashboard, can I pull from there to make the run shorter? And pulling 6v power into that pin 15 will be the trigger or do I need some sort of signal converter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For about $120, I can get the stock display radio and imid from a 2016 Accord. Can I, without modification to much of anything other than maybe a facia, swap these into my 2015 EX-L that has a display radio, in order to get carplay and android auto, which were added to the Accord in 2016? (Sorry if this doesn't follow the last question asked.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
it should be in the right side(lhd model) when you remove glove compartment
it was in the middle under the main radio. I messaged you - could you please check?

Big thanks to @creamridge!

I just completed the swap and everything is working fine!

I only have 1 minor issue which is the mic...I have to literally shout for it to hear me 😂

Any ideas? I have 2013 Accord EX-L

·
Registered
28 Posts
it was in the middle under the main radio. I messaged you - could you please check?

Big thanks to @creamridge!

I just completed the swap and everything is working fine!

I only have 1 minor issue which is the mic...I have to literally shout for it to hear me 😂

Any ideas? I have 2013 Accord EX-L
HFI module, 2016 model is next to the top reading light

Would anyone be able to share their schematics of the harness they built for the swap?
You can find the circuit diagram of the corresponding model on the forum, and then find the circuit diagram of 20162017 model. You can understand how to make the wiring harness by comparing it. You can ask @ ayhamkutit, who just made the wiring harness himself

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

so I’m a super novice at wiring but could use some help. I have a 15 accord hybrid base. I know how to take my dash apart fine....I had an after market radio installed (because I suck at wiring) but the head unit crapped out. I put my stock radio back in (the after market custom harness is still in there); but it looks like the installer cut the light blue Bluetooth wire right at the connector and now my Bluetooth is failing to work. Anyway, what I wanted to do was buy an instrument dash wire harness to fix the Bluetooth but I like this idea better.

what can a novice like me do that’s theclosest thing to plug and play? Is there a way to go from a 2015 base radio to a 2016/17 nav setup? If so, would I just have to buy the dash harness, the imid screen and the radio? Would I also need the GPS antenna?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all,

so I’m a super novice at wiring but could use some help. I have a 15 accord hybrid base. I know how to take my dash apart fine....I had an after market radio installed (because I suck at wiring) but the head unit crapped out. I put my stock radio back in (the after market custom harness is still in there); but it looks like the installer cut the light blue Bluetooth wire right at the connector and now my Bluetooth is failing to work. Anyway, what I wanted to do was buy an instrument dash wire harness to fix the Bluetooth but I like this idea better.

what can a novice like me do that’s theclosest thing to plug and play? Is there a way to go from a 2015 base radio to a 2016/17 nav setup? If so, would I just have to buy the dash harness, the imid screen and the radio? Would I also need the GPS antenna?

thanks guys!
Plug and play is possible if you use retrofit harness which is basically mx 34 plugs made to connect to existing radio plugs if there are still there ,Base radio did not have a subwoofer/amp but it would work. Yes dash harness, imid and radio as well as GPS antenna would work. Have to see the Base radio circuit i may have it and figure out to create a harness. Would need to see pics of old radio as well as MX 34 plugs in the car .it may be possible. This is not cheap expect to spend around $400 may be a little less :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Plug and play is possible if you use retrofit harness which is basically mx 34 plugs made to connect to existing radio plugs if there are still there ,Base radio did not have a subwoofer/amp but it would work. Yes dash harness, imid and radio as well as GPS antenna would work. Have to see the Base radio circuit i may have it and figure out to create a harness. Would need to see pics of old radio as well as MX 34 plugs in the car .it may be possible. This is not cheap expect to spend around $400 may be a little less :).
the radio is just the base radio that comes in the 15 base model. The pic I have is of the Bluetooth wire and you can see the orange heat shrink where it attaches to a custom harness. I can take it apart and get more pics soon :)

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
have to see which wire it is .this doc can help map connectors to a 2016/2017 EX and up which will work if want to swap with new radio as some of the connections were switched to new positions in 2016 which is why i made a retrofit harness inmy case ,so as to not splice any wires in factory harness.

the radio is just the base radio that comes in the 15 base model. The pic I have is of the Bluetooth wire and you can see the orange heat shrink where it attaches to a custom harness. I can take it apart and get more pics soon :)
Ok the wire which is cut is C16 which is light green,it is Mic positive which goes to ping of HFL unit ,HFL is normally next to glove compartment.this can be accessed by removing panel after opening passenger door.May need to remove glove compartment which is process by itself as trim and a few screws need to be removed.Long story short your issue can be fixed by running a wire to HFL module if you need to get Mic working ,Btw HFL is the bluetooth module as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
That sounds good; but to be honest, I do like the idea of a full upgrade LOL I wanted to get nav/better radio. I could try and fix my mic too; but again, I think having that initial after market put in really messed things up. If I could get a better Honda based system, I’d be fine with it.
But thank you for that document! That document is pretty much my exact radio that I have now

Hey @creamridge would you mind DMing me? We can chat more about this via email but I’d like to pick your brain more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys. I have a 2014 Honda Accord EXL V6
I installed an aftermarket deck and used a harness to connect the audio, etc.
My other display screen is black.. Not sure how to connect my rear camera / side mirrors

Most posts I see aren't specifically for this same model. also with wiring diagrams
I was gonna tap into unit connector "G" with an RCA and run into my aftermarket..
not sure if it will be connected when I put into reverse..

If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Paul,
rca may work Try G15 for rear camera and G20 for lanewatch not sure how you would connect both to after market RCA as you could join them both,try this at your own risk. or you would need to bury oem radio in dash since rear camera and lane watch signals are converted to GVIF format and sent to IMid for display

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2013 EXL w/ Nav and I am looking to swap the OEM radio with a 2017 OEM Apple Car Play radio w/ Nav. I am wondering if anyone has done this swap with success and, if so, where to get the OEM parts from. I was interested in doing this swap a few years back and parts were available on eBay for a steep $2k price. I am hoping the price would have come down some by now. Thanks in advance for any info!

I’ve been searching all over the internet for a post about 9th gen radio swap to Apple car play.
I have 2013 EXL w/ Nav and I am looking to swap it with a 2016-17 Apple Car Play w/ Nav. Can you please share the parts needed to make this happen?!?
As of right now, I believe you need the top display, bottom display, and tuner/amp. Please share any other information you know. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Cw, good news is parts price came down very well(under $500 if you want to get oem look with trims) ,recently did the swap again.
since your model is already an EX-L no need to replace tuner or amp. unless you need HD radio then tuner needs replacing.
Only Upper display and radio from 2016/2017 need to be swapped.
so you would need harness retrofit made with MX34 plugs and most connections just need to map to existing connectors for 2013 radio.there are a few changes like reverse light connector is now moved to a new pin # as well as Mic/hfl connector plugs to HFL module. exisitng hfl module is not needed as it is now part of new radio,it can be done.not sure how good you are with soldering and crimping as new cable pretty much needs to be made/retrofitted to work with old radio plugs.
The solution i have is pretty much plug and play and does not involve any splicing of wires etc.

·
Registered
684 Posts
so you would need harness retrofit made with MX34 plugs and most connections just need to map to existing connectors for 2013 radio.there are a few changes like reverse light connector is now moved to a new pin # as well as Mic/hfl connector plugs to HFL module. exisitng hfl module is not needed as it is now part of new radio,it can be done.not sure how good you are with soldering and crimping as new cable pretty much needs to be made/retrofitted to work with old radio plugs.
The solution i have is pretty much plug and play and does not involve any splicing of wires etc.
That's the hard part. At least that was my experience. I could never completely figure out how to make an adapter harness. And I don't recall anyone posting exact details. I went as far as to subscribe to Honda's tech site and downloaded and printed all the schematics for both cars. Then I studied them for hours on end. I'm not an electrical engineer by any means but I'm no dummy. Couldn't figure it out. Eventually gave up and installed my CarPlay a different way.

I think I still have the upper display if anyone's interested.

121 - 140 of 141 Posts