Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tank number 1 got 286 miles and the trip computer says 17.5 mpg. That's pretty much exactly what I got in my 535i, what gives? Does it get more economical as the engine beds in or am I just heavy footed? I drive pretty spirited.

I would say 60/40 highway/city but of that 60 highway 50% is stuck in traffic.

·
Chris
23 Posts
the traffic is probably what is killing your MPG. The stop and go.:thumbsdow thats what kills me sometimes

·
Registered
121 Posts
give it another tank or 2... i was getting shitty numbers at first 2 then i started to avg around 27-30 mpg... mostly stop and go.. highway around 33+. My driving also changed once i got used to the car. The Mpg indicators around the speedometer are ur friend. use them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great. I know certain cars need time to bed in before they are capable of meeting their mpg and bhp figures but the dealer told me hondas are good to go straight away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Once you get used to the car and learn how to baby the throttle to keep that MPG indicator on the other side of 30 I'm sure your averages will increase. I usually end up around 34-36 MPG for my highway trips door to door without traffic. Pure highway mileage I have gotten 40 +/- 2 following traffic.

Stop and go there's not much you can really do about it..

Also a V6..

·
Registered
121 Posts
definitely use the mpg indicators around the speedometer... it will let u know if ur pushing too hard. i now drive pretty light unless i need to get around u.. highway i avg around 63-67 mph..

·
Registered
143 Posts
My last tank got 533 on an average of 35 mpg

Love my V6

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have no idea why my photo flipped

·
Registered
134 Posts
So tank number 1 got 286 miles and the trip computer says 17.5 mpg. That's pretty much exactly what I got in my 535i, what gives? Does it get more economical as the engine beds in or am I just heavy footed? I drive pretty spirited.

It sounds like you might have been having fun with the car and reving the engine to highish RPM frequently. In a typical mid-size car with V6 engine, if you drive it in city streets only, you will get 15-19 mpg.. The city mpg typically kills the overall mpg. Try to adjust your driving style so that the engine doesn't rev above 3000 rpm unless it must. Having said that, I heard of a philosophy that a new car should be driven hard to help to seat the piston rings.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My first tank I got 333 miles I believe and I was driving somewhat spirited

My mpg is my v6 is now avg. 32 mpg. I'll have to check how many miles I have on this tank

·
Registered
65 Posts
Once you get used to the car and learn how to baby the throttle to keep that MPG indicator on the other side of 30 I'm sure your averages will increase. I usually end up around 34-36 MPG for my highway trips door to door without traffic. Pure highway mileage I have gotten 40 +/- 2 following traffic.

Stop and go there's not much you can really do about it..

Also a V6..
40+???? That's Awesome!

·
Registered
15 Posts

I would imagine it's your heavy foot. That alone will bring it down quicker than anything else you've listed. All of the high numbers listed above don't mean much since they largely highway miles and unrelated to your driving.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,160 Posts
I drive pretty spirited.

You wrote your own answer. Also the dash gives you an estimate. Do the math to be accurate.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Cruise control is your friend

Now that I have active cruise control my driving experiences in traffic (dc traffic at that) is much more tolerable and saves me gas

·
Registered
83 Posts

It's low for two reasons:
1. Idle learn procedure.
2. High engine friction at the beginning of break-in period.

I saw the same. MPG will be much better after first 500k miles or so. Relax and enjoy your car.

PS. Do not worry about MPG till the first oil change.

·
loving the V6 growl :D
444 Posts
yeah, that's low.. i consistently gets 20-21 mpg pure city driving..

have you tried revving hard in first two gears then cruise after you reach city speed limit ? (of course cruise when available)... This always gives me the highest mpg even w/out eco mode on...

·
Banned
395 Posts
yeah, that's low.. i consistently gets 20-21 mpg pure city driving..

have you tried revving hard in first two gears then cruise after you reach city speed limit ? (of course cruise when available)... This always gives me the highest mpg even w/out eco mode on...
All the poster above posting your 30+ HIGHWAY FE are ridiculous. Noone drives highways unless they live by a highway which means you do no live in the suburbs where most of middle class live and therefore your 30+ MPG claim becomes irrelevant and downright false to the rest of the middle class driving public which drive CITY and get the obligatory V6 20 mpg. Also funny is how a question about why someone is getting bad FE turn into a MPG thread about this what I get.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My first tank was really bad mpg too. It gets better. Your traffic driving is going to give you low mpg's no matter what - that's something only where a hybrid really shines. You can probably get a another few mpg's by turning on eco so the pedal response becomes restricted by the software as it teaches you to just soft throttle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
All the poster above posting your 30+ HIGHWAY FE are ridiculous. Noone drives highways unless they live by a highway which means you do no live in the suburbs where most of middle class live and therefore your 30+ MPG claim becomes irrelevant and downright false to the rest of the middle class driving public which drive CITY and get the obligatory V6 20 mpg. Also funny is how a question about why someone is getting bad FE turn into a MPG thread about this what I get.
I live in the suburbs and i live near a highway.. i usually take the highway depending on time of day and traffic conditions or just wanting to push the accord... so umm ya i avg 27-30 mixed driving (80 city/ 20 highway)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts