Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the highway mpg dropped 1 MPG (from 35 to 34) on the Sport I4 CVT between the 2013 and 2014 model years? I never found anything that indicated any sort of change between the two years that would impact fuel economy. Its not a big change but just curious.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone know why the highway mpg dropped 1 MPG (from 35 to 34) on the Sport I4 CVT between the 2013 and 2014 model years? I never found anything that indicated any sort of change between the two years that would impact fuel economy. Its not a big change but just curious.
I cannot comment on the I4 but I dont believe the figures are of relevance anyway. My 2014 v6 is not good on gas. 4th tank in and im at 17.5mpg each time. My commute is heavy freeways and suburban town centers. I'm guessing that it hates both scenarios because everyone else raves about their 30+mpgs. I'd be happy with 20+. Yeah I do have spurts of fast acceleration but not many.

Guess what my 535i booked at 17 - 26mpg and I got 17.5mg. This Accord V6 books way higher and i get exactly the same.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
712 Posts
Lol I get lows because can't holds my self down. I get 35 on my long trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bump, I'd like to know as well.

My 2013 Sport averages 30-32 mpg with mixed driving but lately I've been driving pretty aggressive haha so I'm any where from 15-26 mpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
This may be way out in left field, but I've got a theory for the drop. Honda issued a TSB regarding the CVT judder for the 2013's, in which I believe the upper valve body was replaced (I'm fuzzy as to the details, so if I'm wrong, I apologize ahead of time), thereby fixing or seriously reducing the CVT judder. I used to read on the Altima forums about how Nissan was able to get the most combined mileage... and that was due to the CVT, but that the trade off was jerkiness at start and stop.

I'm thinking in order to make the CVT run smoother, Honda replaced the upper valve body in addition to reprogramming the CVT to minimize or get rid of the jerkiness at a start and stop. So, the 2014's would have the new upper valve body and CVT reprogramming just like the 2013's that had the TSB performed would have. The downside? Less MPG's, even if only by 1 MPG. I'd like to hear from 2013 owners that had the TSB performed (I haven't and probably won't even though I do have a slight amount of jerkiness at start and stop), to see if they lost any MPG's since the TSB was performed.

Probably a stupid theory, but that's what I think.

Tommy

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I'm thinking in order to make the CVT run smoother, Honda replaced the upper valve body in addition to reprogramming the CVT to minimize or get rid of the jerkiness at a start and stop. So, the 2014's would have the new upper valve body and CVT reprogramming just like the 2013's that had the TSB performed would have. The downside? Less MPG's, even if only by 1 MPG. I'd like to hear from 2013 owners that had the TSB performed (I haven't and probably won't even though I do have a slight amount of jerkiness at start and stop), to see if they lost any MPG's since the TSB was performed.

Tommy
Yes, I think you are correct in your assessment of stupidity. My 2013 Accord has never had the CVT Judder TSB performed because it has absolutely no judder on acceleration or deceleration. BTW the TSB does not cover deceleration judder only acceleration, Also my car is within the VIN numbers that is applicable to the TSB if it had a judder issue.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
I cannot comment on the I4 but I dont believe the figures are of relevance anyway. My 2014 v6 is not good on gas. 4th tank in and im at 17.5mpg each time. My commute is heavy freeways and suburban town centers. I'm guessing that it hates both scenarios because everyone else raves about their 30+mpgs. I'd be happy with 20+. Yeah I do have spurts of fast acceleration but not many.

Guess what my 535i booked at 17 - 26mpg and I got 17.5mg. This Accord V6 books way higher and i get exactly the same.
Ours averages 25mpg between fill ups as sticker with average 7 mile trips one way. 5mile hwy 2mile city.

You mentioned you have spurts of fast acceleration does this mean you are flooring it? what rpms are your spurts achieving? high rpms jack rabbits you play you pay :yes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ours averages 25mpg between fill ups as sticker with average 7 mile trips one way. 5mile hwy 2mile city.

You mentioned you have spurts of fast acceleration does this mean you are flooring it? what rpms are your spurts achieving? high rpms jack rabbits you play you pay :yes:
I guess your right, if im gonna put my foot down its going all the way, so i'd say redline, but infrequently couple of bursts a week.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A slight tweak to the CVT for drive-ability is likely the culprit. Toyota did the same thing to the Corolla years ago because the torque converter lock up would cause the car tug at highway speed. A PCM update resolved the issue but the result was the loss of a few MPG's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have 2013 sport and i just took a trip from nashville to atl and got like 33mpg the whole way which is not bad but i was expecting more from nonstop freeway driving but it is what it is

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
i have 2013 sport and i just took a trip from nashville to atl and got like 33mpg the whole way which is not bad but i was expecting more from nonstop freeway driving but it is what it is
You should easily be able to get more on the highway as evidenced by my signature. Check the MPG thread for driving tips.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Lol I get lows because can't holds my self down. I get 35 on my long trips.
Wow. If you drove a Ferrari with a full tank, it would stall before you can get off the driveway. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
This may be way out in left field, but I've got a theory for the drop. Honda issued a TSB regarding the CVT judder for the 2013's, in which I believe the upper valve body was replaced (I'm fuzzy as to the details, so if I'm wrong, I apologize ahead of time), thereby fixing or seriously reducing the CVT judder. I used to read on the Altima forums about how Nissan was able to get the most combined mileage... and that was due to the CVT, but that the trade off was jerkiness at start and stop.

Tommy
I'd agree with this. I had the TSB performed a couple tanks ago. I seem a bit worse off gas mileage since then. Completely non scientific of course.

·
Banned
784 Posts

Tommy
I do not think your theory is stupid. Sorry for not saying anything but I think your argument has a validity. The jerkiness comes from shifting too fast into high gear and the TSB delays that action and thus higher rpm and more gas. No such a thing as a stupid theory.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Tommy
Pretty sure this is incorrect because Honda fixed this problem midyear. All Accords manufactured after a certain date had the updated valve body from the factory. My bet is the reduced estimated MPG is due to real life testing and reported mileage on forums like these, and test mules. Since the Kia debacle, car manufacturers are trying to be as accurate as possible with their estimated MPG to avoid law suits.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts