Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the car is in EV mode, it doesn't make any noise, also when the engine coasts, you can't hear a thing but if you press the accelerator, the car sounds as if it's a 1994 100 horsepower Carolla trying to get up to 90mph. It's embarrassing to have friends in this $40K car(mine is loaded) because it sounds like I'm flooring the accelerator but the car has no more juice to give. By the way, I'm not talking about high speeds, I'm talking about having to get up to a cruising speed of 40mph after stopping at a traffic light!
Does someone have a solution.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Welcome to DA.

When you say "sounds like 1994 100 Hp Corolla", do you mean the internal combustion engine?

The hybrid will try to use the battery provided electrical power first as much as possible before starting the internal combustion engine to augment the accleration, because the battery provides the clean energy (relatively speaking), there is only so much the electric motor can do while accelerating a 3,000+ car.

Did you test drive the car before purchasing? FWIW here's the C&D review http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-honda-accord-hybrid-test-review which states:

Hybrid mode is where this Accord spends most of its time, and here engine speed will “flare” to what the hybrid system’s brain thinks is the most efficient rpm for any given road load and throttle position. There is a prominent wail when the car accelerates briskly or climbs a grade. We were also mildly annoyed by a whirring electric-motor sound at low speeds and a slight, momentary sag when the electric motor/generator spools up the engine prior to clutch engagement as it switches from EV mode to engine-drive mode.
You may also want to confirm with your Honda dealer if there has been any software update for your car, you would want to most current software version to avoid any issues Honda has already found and rectified, although this is probably not the case for your brand new 2014 car, but it won't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt response.
First of all I have to say that this car is great overall. It has better suspension than other Accords, great handling, awesome electronics, the interior feels very elegant and the car has more than enough power.
I don't mind the humming sound of the engine at low speeds, I just didn't expect a high squealing whinnying noise from the 2 litre internal combustion engine whenever I have to get from 0 to 70km/h in one shot. I am familiar with hybrids as this car replaced a Camry Hybrid. On my old Camry, the internal combustion engine did not demand increased RPMs as it was sufficiently augmented by the electrical engine. On the Accord, it seems the electrical engine is just not providing it with enough power so it has to really rev the RPMs. I did go to a dealer here in Toronto but they've never had one of these cars in their shop before and there were no software updates. I'm Hopeful Honda Canada can either provide me with a better sound barrier or change the ratio of electrical power to internal combustion. I sent them an email last week but have had no response.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Reactions: gac53

·
Registered
10 Posts
What I don't like about the loud revving is that it will do it when it doesn't seem necessary - 70% charge, flat road and light acceleration. I think they have some bugs that hopefully get addressed soon. I have <> 8K miles and I like the car but the engine noise can certainly get annoying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same noise problem on my 2014 Hybrid. I don't remember hearing the noise in the first week I owned the car. Maybe I wasn't paying attention when my focus was on how much I fell in love with the car. The noise sounds like the engine is working too hard. This happens with even slight acceleration, as long as the engine kicks in. I can hear it even at high speed (when the road is quiet). I understand the RPM in Honda's is usually higher than others. But this sounds like you forgot to shift to a higher gear in a manual transmission. The car has very little power ascending on the freeway. I could barely get 65mph ascending on a freeway. Also, the engine sometimes decides to warm up at the stop light after driving for a period of time (more than 30 minutes). I took it to the dealer (more than once). The mechanic said it didn't sound right when I was in the car with him. But when Honda tech couldn't help him, he declared it's normal. The dealership said there's not much they could do when there's no error code. When I reported it to Honda corporate, they denied it's a problem. Unless they can prove that there's a problem, they won't be able to do anything. My plan is to wait for couple months until the Honda mechanics become more knowledgeable on this particular hybrid.

BTW, the salesperson was nice enough to let me test drive another hybrid they have in stock. It did not have the same noise problem. It accelerates smoothly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda 2016 Hybrid engine revving sound

I have just bought Honda Accord Hybrid 2016 last month. When I accelerate the car around 35Miles/hr to 45/Hr it make too much Revving/Whinnying sound !! Like engine is waiting for a gear to shift. I know it don't got transmission but this is not right design then. Its very uncomfortable to hear and annoys me an my wife a lot. Is it normal with all 2016 Honda Hybrid Cars?
This sound was not this much when I bought this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you notice the thread was two and a half years old?

To answer your question though, I have a 2017 HAH EX-L. The noise is completely normal. You have to remember that with no transmission, the engine can not directly drive the wheels until about 45 mph. So, you start off on EV mode and then call for more acceleration\power. Since the speed is below 45, the engine starts and turns the Second electric motor to generate the electric power that you are needing. Since the battery is normally almost depleted at this point, the system has to weigh how much power you are calling for AND how much it will need to be able to charge the battery. Thus, the system revs up the engine to 3-4-5K rpms. This was noticeable to me during the test drive, but normally we are pretty spirited while test driving and the salesperson is talking, so it does not get noticed as much. Also the radio was probably on too.

A Fix? There isn't one really, but You can try and game the system. If you are coming up to an intersection and you have enough battery power, force EV mode (the button next to the shifter). This allows you a little more wiggle room in acceleration. Then get it to 45mph. At that speed any calls for more power can be answered by the ICE taking over the work and charge the system at normal RPMs. Also, learn to coast more or maybe drive in B to increase the regenerative braking to build up the battery charge so you can use the EV mode more.

Remember, you got this car because it had some of the best fuel consumption numbers, 20-25% better than a 2017 Camry. This is the system that is doing it. I've gotten 56.4 MPG on my 21 mile commute (75% highway) when it was about 50F. For me, the lower the temp, the worst the mileage - about 42 MPG at 30F.

Play with the ECON button. It dampens the throttle and may force you to push harder on the gas, thus making the system think you need more power than you do. I found better mileage and throttle response with it off. It might help...

One last thing, if you have a SPORT mode, that does change how the system works a bit and seems to reduce the noise a bit....well at least I don't notice it because I'm always surprised by the that extra lurch of power. Maybe it's just me! ?

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
any fix for this annoying noise! as i start to hear this in my 2015 ?do you guys think its because of the Ecvt oil fluid?

maybe if changed the revving will become normal at it was?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts