Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i know this is a pretty common issue with these cars and i’ve never owned a honda before so i figured i’d ask on here. My girlfriends car is having the starting issue, once in a while maybe 1 out of 5 starts it will just make a clicking noise when you try to turn it over, it will eventually start after a couple try’s. All of the cars power is turning on and i know the battery and alternator are working, i want to assume it’s the starter but going on other forums i’ve seen people posting that they’ve replaced everything and it still does it. The battery sensor was replaced almost exactly 3 years ago through the recall. Before i go out and buy and replace a new starter is there any weird trick or “hidden issue” i need to fix in order for the car to be back to normal. Thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
How old is the battery? If it is an original battery, it's time for it to be replaced. I wonder what other forums that you've read on indicating replacement of just about everything and still having the same issue.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There's no way around the fact that the starter is to blame.
The copper plunger contact in the brush holder will be severely eroded.
Rebuild or replace. It's easy.
I promise.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Agreed, I had the same issue getting worse over time. At 99,000 miles replaced the starter and no problems since. At 170,000 miles it’s the only thing I have had to replace.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree, it's the starter. Which raises the next issue: To replace/rebuilt the original starter, or replace it with one from a discount parts store? FWIW, I STRONGLY recommend the original starter be rebuilt (by someone who knows what they are doing) or replaced with an OEM Honda starter. Cheaper replacements will, sooner or later, chew-up the flywheel, and then you're talking serious bucks (pulling the transmission, etc.) to repair the damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts