Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 accord 2.4, ~23K miles

Noticed the car getting louder over the last few months. Car is barely driven so not too many miles. Sounds like a Cessna at 35-70 mph. Last time the tires got rotated I didn't notice any roughness or play in any of the wheels (~1K miles, 5 months ago). Everything is pointing to a wheel bearing issue.

Car has honda care extended warranty so im not too worried about the repair bill (albeit, 5 months outside of the power train warranty).

My question is, since they have to mess with suspension parts (assuming its front), to R&R the bearing, is an alignment covered under warranty in this case?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had my front right wheel bearing covered under the powertrain warranty on my 2013, and that covered an alignment.

The tech changed the bearing, did the alignment, did a road test and still heard the noise, so he went on to change the rear bearing that was the actual problem.

My bill was $0.00, and I got a free alignment that I needed anyway.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm not sure which wheel(s) it is. Just a loud drone/groan like noise. I'll call tomorrow to see how booked they are to set up an appt.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I have a noise coming from the right rear. Took it into Honda and they said it's my tires. I've switched the tires around and the noise is still present. The pitch doesn't change much on turns so they're probably right. I even pulled off the caliper and rotor and spun the hub and it wasn't ultra smooth like a turntable. I guess HondaCare wouldn't cover it anyway until it's really bad.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's supposed to get cooler soon. Maybe I'll throw my winter wheels/tires on first to rule out tire noise. I know those tires were silent when I removed them back in feb of this year.

This doesn't sound like any tire noise i've ever heard.. Literally sounds like a small engine plan as the speed gets higher.

If you're familiar with manual cars... Similar to forgetting to upshift.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Jack up the front, chock the rear wheel(s), shift to neutral, then spin each of the front wheel listening to sound. Then do the same for the rear, Jack it up, chicken 🐓🐔🐣🐤🐥 ( did I mentioned that I hate autocorrect ??) front end, transmission can be in parking, parking brake released, spin the rear wheels. If sound is really that loud as you describe it, it should be obvious which one it is when spun by hand.
Else, take in to a shop if diy is not your thing.

·
Reverse Gear
1,025 Posts
I have a 2015 that indeed had rear bearing issues - meaning it was just noisy. The car was still under warranty and so they covered it under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. I think it started being noisy about 2 years before we had it addressed. I thought it was tires. Then after a rotation - it was still coming from the back. After the rear bearing was replaced by the dealer, I watched a youtube video on how to change out the bearing. Doesn't look too complicated (if it's the rear like ours was and), if you've done brakes and rotors before. Once the brakes and rotors are off - the bearing is a single piece held on by 4 bolts. Since mine was a rear bearing - No alignment was required afterwards. Not sure about the front.

Reactions: rlitman

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's supposed to get cooler soon. Maybe I'll throw my winter wheels/tires on first to rule out tire noise. I know those tires were silent when I removed them back in feb of this year.

This doesn't sound like any tire noise i've ever heard.. Literally sounds like a small engine plan as the speed gets higher.

If you're familiar with manual cars... Similar to forgetting to upshift.
I'm sorry to hear that this has began occurring with your vehicle, however I have just began to hear the same symptom on my car as well so I'm happy you posted this. Mine is a 2015 Accord Coupe LX-S with 43K miles. As I approach the same speeds, a sound that mimics a propeller plane or loud box fan fills the cabin at about the same speeds you mentioned. The sound is minimized depending on the texture of the road or speed. It's most noticeable on really smooth pavement. I haven't had it looked at yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jack up the front, chock the rear wheel(s), shift to neutral, then spin each of the front wheel listening to sound. Then do the same for the rear, Jack it up, chicken ( did I mentioned that I hate autocorrect ??) front end, transmission can be in parking, parking brake released, spin the rear wheels. If sound is really that loud as you describe it, it should be obvious which one it is when spun by hand.
Else, take in to a shop if diy is not your thing.
I’ve dealt with growling wheel bearings in several vehicles. Never have I had one that could be heard or felt with the car in the air. I’ve heard your advice many times, but it wouldn’t have caught any of my issues. Perhaps I fixed them before they got to that point?

Years ago, when I changed out the noisy bearing in my Subaru, I took it apart and saw cratering over only about 90 degrees of the race. You really couldn’t identify the issue until disassembly.

Most recently I had my Jeep towed home because someone flagged me over when one wheel was smoking (no noise). After replacing the unit bearing, I spent some time turning the old one by hand, and it felt just fine, even with no other drivetrain parts to interfere with the feel. I cut the outer race off (I recycled the hub for a non-automotive purpose), and am still not positive what the issue was. I think I see a faint wear line on one race.

The truth is that your hands playing with a wheel on the car simply cannot replicate the road force and speed that brings out the noise.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had both ends of the car in a few inches above ground. Too much driveline friction/resistance to tell any thing for the front. In the rear, there's smooth and rough spots on both sides. Without removing the brakes, hard to tell if that's just rotor friction or bearing fault.

Tomorrow I test drive the car with winter tires to rule out any tire issue.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Use sound application devices like listen up for example. This is basically a mic that is connected to amp with headphones output, pointed towards wheel wells from the inside of the vehicle may help. For the front right and rears you'll need to enlist help from someone. I'd image this may work with the phone having the sound recording app running. Place it in the trunk left and then right on the floor, them same with front side as close as possible to wheel wells. Obviously no music, no talking, preferably no air circulation,etc.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the tech's job to figure out which wheel bearing(s) is/are failing. Finally make use of the extended warranty (honda care) for something.

Test drove the car this morning. Was relatively quiet for a few miles then started making the noise again. The winter tires are extremely quiet to being with so it took driving on smooth pavement to really hear it. The intensity is not as high but definitely audible. I'll put the regular wheels/tires back on in a day or two.

On really smooth asphault I can hear it as early as ~25 mph.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,684 Posts
I’ve dealt with growling wheel bearings in several vehicles. Never have I had one that could be heard or felt with the car in the air. I’ve heard your advice many times, but it wouldn’t have caught any of my issues. Perhaps I fixed them before they got to that point?
Probably the case - I know when one went out on my '95 Accord, I knew it was making noise before I made a 150 mile round trip drive (Circumstances dictated I HAD to go) - by the time I got back home, yeah, you could move the wheel/tire on the car with it jacked up. That one was obviously TOAST and I probably shouldn't have risked the 150 mile drive as I did.

·
Registered
185 Posts
IT is a wheel bearing, for sure. My driver rear went out early. Let me go check my log. OK, 82,000 miles. Symptom was very noticeable rumbling and vibrations coming from the backseat yet overtaking the entire cabin. When I jacked up the car and spun the rear wheel as fast I could, you could hear it. Sure it is a way quieter example of what you feel when driving but it is the same. That is how I knew. Yes the entire car would growl and tire re-balance did nothing to fix it, neither did the new tires .

The front is not so easy to test because you just cannot spin the wheel fast enough due to drag.

The Honda Tech said alignment was required and included in the quote. When I got the bill, the alignment was an xtra charge. I requested they honor they original quote and I threw down a 100 dollar off service coupon to boot.

After closely looking at the rear suspension I highly doubt an alignment is mandatory . l could have easily replaced the rear bearing but Honda was the only place that had the bearing that day and I thought I needed an alignment because the tech said so. Like they know, these are the same guys that leave off 1 of the brake pad springs. Probably some trick they think helps but does not.

( on a side note: the standard method of grabbing and rocking the wheel top to bottom and side to side revealed nothing. It was the fast spinning that gave it away.)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far diag is rear wheel bearing(s). Should have the car back later today. Service writer said they replace bearings often but usually at this low mileage. Quality honda parts :). No alignment needed on rears.

Both bearings replaced. Noise gone. Total bill w/out warranty ~$500, w/ $0.

I suppose if the rears end up failing outside of warranty, I'll replace it my self. Fronts seem more complicated + require special tools for pressing the bearings out/in.

It's unfortunate they failed so early. From the various posts here it appears to be a common problem. Poor design, lack of lubrication? Designed to fail...?

Looks like the dash cam picked up the noise rather well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wH2-7IWtB95q0iGr8c5BsF8Na2gTdkyH/view?usp=sharing

around 3min mark

It's that low freq rumble like noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So far diag is rear wheel bearing(s). Should have the car back later today. Service writer said they replace bearings often but usually at this low mileage. Quality honda parts :). No alignment needed on rears.

Both bearings replaced. Noise gone. Total bill w/out warranty ~$500, w/ $0.

I suppose if the rears end up failing outside of warranty, I'll replace it my self. Fronts seem more complicated + require special tools for pressing the bearings out/in.

It's unfortunate they failed so early. From the various posts here it appears to be a common problem. Poor design, lack of lubrication? Designed to fail...?
Thanks for sharing your experience and what was needed to repair the noise!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've had an opportunity to put some miles on the car since the repair - ~300 miles worth. With the radio off, i'm hearing all sorts of nvh, especially engine noise. This bearing issue must of been going on for some time (at least a year or three) as I don't recall noticing this before. It must of masked these other noises.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts