Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really struggling between getting an Audi A3 sedan (which won't be released until April or later) and a 2013 Accord Coupe V6.

The Audi will retail for just a bit under $30K and has a lot of great standard features (leather seats, panoramic sunroof, MMI screen, etc).

New 2013 V6 Accord coupes are going for about $26-$27K in my area. I love the styling of the coupe, but I'm a bit worried about long-term seating comfort and the glitchy i-MID system.

There would also be a huge power difference as the Accord is 280 HP and the Audi will have a 180 HP 4 cylinder.

I was previously considering getting a Mercedes C250, but the base model is pretty bare bones (especially compared to the Accord and A3), and once I add the features I want, looking at a $40K+ car.

Any suggestions/opinions on what to get?

·
4,637 Posts
Difficult to say without being able to see/sit in an A3. I'd wait till they come out and test drive one. After you do that the decision should be much easier.

I doubt the Audi dealer will negotiate much on the new model. Plus with a few options and tax in your area you could easily be looking at 35k out the door. Compared to around $28k for a V6 non-navi out the door.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,003 Posts
Two different cars. The Audi is an entry level luxury sedan, the Accord is not. Also, the Audi isn't "a bit under $30K". It starts at $30,795 ($29,900 + $895 destination) and will be pretty bare bones vs the Accord.. Add a few features here and there to equal that in the Accord and you'll be pushing $35K. And don't expect much discounts on them either.

The A3 is nicer looking (IMO), but also smaller/tighter (saw it at L.A. Auto show). Parts/maintenance on Audi's tend to be more and will probably be required more often (first 5K scheduled maintenance is free. After that, Audi recommends a 10K maintenance schedule and is strongly recommended to maintain warranty).

Audi warranty is longer (4 years/50K) vs Honda (3 years/36K), but that's because the odds of you needing/using it is greater, especially on a brand new 1st year model car.

You need to figure out what you want and need.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
That's a big difference in vehicle types, place of manufacture and power plants. Personally, I like the Accord coupe regardless of the back seat comfort. Obviously, a four door car will have more backseat room and be easier to get into and out of the back seat.I rarely carry anyone in the back seat so I went for style. The Audi is a four door car so that's a big difference in appearance. Of course, only the Germans would call a four door car a coupe, ie, the MB CLA.

Comparing a V6 to an I4 with a difference of 100 HP makes a big difference in performance. Is the Audi I4 turbocharged? The only comparison that's even close is the couple of thousand dollars in price.

I would consider the following:
What is the Audi repair and longevity record compared to the Accord?
Does the Audi use regular fuel or premium?
How useful is a panoramic sunroof? Both the Accord V6 and the Audi have leather.
How is Audi's resale value as compared to Honda?
You are comparing Apples to Oranges.
The Accord is more similar to the VW.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's a big difference in vehicle types, place of manufacture and power plants. Personally, I like the Accord coupe regardless of the back seat comfort. Obviously, a four door car will have more backseat room and be easier to get into and out of the back seat.I rarely carry anyone in the back seat so I went for style. The Audi is a four door car so that's a big difference in appearance. Of course, only the Germans would call a four door car a coupe, ie, the MB CLA.

Comparing a V6 to an I4 with a difference of 100 HP makes a big difference in performance. Is the Audi I4 turbocharged? The only comparison that's even close is the couple of thousand dollars in price.

How useful is a panoramic sunroof? Both the Accord V6 and the Audi have leather.
/Thread

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could care less about back seat comfort, but I am concerned about the comfort of the driver's seat, especially since I'm only 5'5

·
Registered
336 Posts
How soon do you need the car? If you are not in a hurry, and can actually wait until April, it's worth holding onto your savings (and even continue building on top of it) until you can physically sit inside an A3.

As others have mentioned, the maintenance and repairs will be substantially higher for the Audi. A good friend of mine was vehemently against VW and Audi's in general for those exact reasons. He eventually caved in and got a used A4 because a mutual friend of our's was a VW mechanic. Had it not been for that, he would have never taken the plunge, as he has come to find that he has needed professional assistance over the past 6+ months of ownership.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Could care less about back seat comfort, but I am concerned about the comfort of the driver's seat, especially since I'm only 5'5
Have you test driven the Accord coupe? I would not make any decision until you can test drive a car especially if you are not of average height. The Accord V6 is at the top of the family car category while the Audi is at the bottom of the luxury category. You may have to upgrade the trim levels of the Audi to get the features you want that may be standard on the Accord. Also, since this is a new model car they will be in short supply in April and the dealers will be holding very close to the MSRP.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
You're looking to buy an Audi and you're worried about a glitch in a Honda??! lmao that's funny!!!!

Have you ever owned an Audi or VW? I'm betting no.

I love Audis. Like more than the ability to eat meat (and I LOVE meat!) and I'd never take that big a gamble on a car with a company known for shoddy service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts