Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hey Gray....
The Accord, whether I4 or V6, 6MT, CVT or 6-speed Auto, is a car that fits most peoples need for basic RELIABLE transportation. We as enthusiasts, often complain about things that we wish were better about our cars, but overall, are mostly satisfied with our purchase. The C&D article hits this point, and I agree.

Read a quick article in the July Motor Trend, that Toyota is debuting a series of 4cyl turbo engines for future use in their cars. The article also mentioned that a 1.5 liter turbo is going in the 10th Gen Civic this fall. Now that Honda and Toyota are fully developing and implementing 4cyl turbos, I feel the V6 will be on the chopping block for the 10th Gen in 2018. If Toyota and Nissan no longer offer a V6 in their midsize cars, Honda will definitely follow suit. I feel the V6 in the higher end Accord models really give sport/luxury feel that no 4cyl turbo can match.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yup! I believe this is the 29th or 30th time the Accord has been a C&D top 10 pick. No other car can boast that. I believe the next closest to the Accord in the number of times on that list is the 3-series BMW with about 22 times...

·
Long live the manual
728 Posts
Hey Gray....
The Accord, whether I4 or V6, 6MT, CVT or 6-speed Auto, is a car that fits most peoples need for basic RELIABLE transportation. We as enthusiasts, often complain about things that we wish were better about our cars, but overall, are mostly satisfied with our purchase. The C&D article hits this point, and I agree.
I consider myself an auto enthusiast & having the 6 speed manual V6 Coupe satisfies everything I need in a car. Its fun to drive in this form plus it has plenty of utility when the back seat is folded & you need to fill the trunk. I like the style & the technology built into this car. In winter with FWD the all season Michelins do a reasonable job of getting me to where I need to go. Some things I do not need like the FCW but I've disabled that feature making the cabin a nice place to be. My only complaint is very minor that is having a detached garage I still have to carry the door opener to get inside in the morning. If the Fob had a programmable switch for that everything would be great. Its hard to find a car that even competes with this one overall in the price range !

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Gray....

Read a quick article in the July Motor Trend, that Toyota is debuting a series of 4cyl turbo engines for future use in their cars. The article also mentioned that a 1.5 liter turbo is going in the 10th Gen Civic this fall. Now that Honda and Toyota are fully developing and implementing 4cyl turbos, I feel the V6 will be on the chopping block for the 10th Gen in 2018. If Toyota and Nissan no longer offer a V6 in their midsize cars, Honda will definitely follow suit. I feel the V6 in the higher end Accord models really give sport/luxury feel that no 4cyl turbo can match.
I don't see the demise of the Honda V6 anytime soon, given its wide application among a number of Honda and Acura models. This engine gets rave reviews and has been among Ward's 10 best engines for multiple years.

With the introduction of direct injection and the ZF 9-speed automatic transmission for Honda and Acura V6 models, coupled with VCM, the performance and fuel mileage figures are pretty impressive. And I think that it would be a rare turbo four that could match the Honda V6's smooth, linear power. So, I am putting my money on the V6 being around for many more years.

I think the same reasoning applies to Toyota and Nissan. Both have excellent V6 engines that are used in certain Toyota and Nissan models, as well as Lexus and Infinity models. The availability of a V6 is even more important to compete in the near luxury/luxury segment.

As for me personally, I will take a naturally aspirated engine over a turbo engine of equivalent power any day.

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I consider myself an auto enthusiast & having the 6 speed manual V6 Coupe satisfies everything I need in a car. Its fun to drive in this form plus it has plenty of utility when the back seat is folded & you need to fill the trunk. I like the style & the technology built into this car. In winter with FWD the all season Michelins do a reasonable job of getting me to where I need to go. Some things I do not need like the FCW but I've disabled that feature making the cabin a nice place to be. My only complaint is very minor that is having a detached garage I still have to carry the door opener to get inside in the morning. If the Fob had a programmable switch for that everything would be great. Its hard to find a car that even competes with this one overall in the price range !
I am very happy with my coupe V6-6MT, as well. It is a quick, fun car and a relative bargain, considering what I paid for it and the alternatives (very few), IMO.

I think there are phone apps available to open garage doors, so you don't have to carry a separate garage door opener. Have you checked into that?

Alternatively, some remote garage door openers have a long range, so you can use it to open the garage door from inside your house, and close the garage door with the car HomeLink as you leave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts