Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Its been 9 months since I bought this car (Accord 2015 LX basque red pearl) and I have been cleaning the clear every 2 weeks since I bought it. The car now starts showing a lot of paint chips on the hood. I took my car to the dealer and they said it is not a paint defect and they are rock chips.

They offered me to check the car with Honda representative to verify defective paint but they are 100% sure that it will be declined. So,

1. Is checking my car for paint defect worth it ?
2. Should I use touch up paint ? If yes which one and is it easy to apply (for a novice) ?
3. Is this bound to happen ?

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
1) Pictures?
2) Please update your UserCP to include your location. Rock chips in Chicago- not likely. Rock chips in rural Oregon- very likely.
3) If checking is "free", then schedule an appointment.
4) Do you tail gate? C'mon....be honest......:)

·
@breakneck speed
346 Posts
Modern paint IS WEAK.

It's not a Honda thing.

There are guys on the truck site I came from complaining about their 14k mile 1 year old truck having as many rock chips as their 15 year old 200k mile truck they traded in last year.

My 2009 Mazda6 looked AWFUL after a few years, worse than a 1987 BMW I was restoring in 2004 with 250k miles.

Best theory we could come up with is the green movement and new enviormental protection laws chaning paint formulation..... Like new pesticides.....it might be environment friendly but that doesn't mean it works as well as the old stuff(unless your a bee....).

·
Registered
687 Posts
The days of following the car in front of you a car length back at 65mph and not getting any chips are gone. I always try to leave about 4 or 5 car lengths between me and the car in front of me at hwy speed and I still have a few chips after a year of ownership. But compared to my wife's car which is also a year old mine looks new...lol.. She tailgates and I have shown her the damage she is doing and she just doesn't care because to her it just a car and a means of getting from point A to point B. I felt sorry for her Lexus so the other day I got out there and polished the entire car twice with a DA polisher and then used the Turtle Wax Black kit which is a tinted two step wax product. It looked pretty damn good when I was done and she turned around and ran it thru an automated car was 4 days later...ugh... Those things are the worst thing you could do to a dark colored car...lol

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
The days of following the car in front of you a car length back at 65mph and not getting any chips are gone. I always try to leave about 4 or 5 car lengths between me and the car in front of me at hwy speed and I still have a few chips after a year of ownership.
This is Blasphemy! Ricky Bobby not doing a "Slingshot, Engaged"? This is in your head, Ricky Bobby. You are not on fire. You have to learn to drive with the fear....drive with the cougar in your car.

Get back out there and go fast!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Los Angeles highways and roads are bad, had my first rock chip within 3 months of the car, decided to get a hood bra.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
It takes a car full of chips to learn you need to add paint protection film to your next car. Your Accord is that car... your next car will thank you for applying XPEL.

Depending on the colour, some touchup paint matches better than others. When I bought my 2008 Accord it had a ton, but black matches very well... so I touched them all up and applied paint protection film... the hood looked like new.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is Blasphemy! Ricky Bobby not doing a "Slingshot, Engaged"? This is in your head, Ricky Bobby. You are not on fire. You have to learn to drive with the fear....drive with the cougar in your car.

Get back out there and go fast!
Sling Shot Engaged..... It's Shake and Bake time!!! That just happened!!!

·
@breakneck speed
346 Posts
What led me to PPF was that a gravel transport company was a few miles south of me. So, every morning on the way to work I just got pelted constantly. The truck drivers drove like maniacs, usually 10-15 mph over, swerving in and out of traffic non stop, like they were just trying to shake lose every stone they could.

Story Time:
The story I heard was they had a pass from Police for years(that business was just blocks from the Police HQ,), until one day a LEO had enough and pulled over every truck(he wouldn't have had to try hard to write an expensive ticket they way they drove) The owner supposedly got so mad his drivers had to follow the laws he moved the business out of town.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1) Pictures?
2) Please update your UserCP to include your location. Rock chips in Chicago- not likely. Rock chips in rural Oregon- very likely.
3) If checking is "free", then schedule an appointment.
4) Do you tail gate? C'mon....be honest......:)
Thanks for your response. Updated my profile and I live in San Jose, CA. Yes, I do tail gate :(. I also have a Xzilon pain protection (the sales guy tricked me in getting it) but they too said they won't cover the paint chips due to dirt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts