Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading up on the subject matter I need some clarity. My girlfriend owns a 2015 Honda Accord sport with stock 18 inch wheels. I need to purchase a set of winter tires and wheels. The local shop
Told me I cannot downsize to a 17 inch rim
Due to the fact it will rub on the brakes. Can anyone confirm
Or deny this for me? Thanks you

·
Registered
874 Posts
You can fit 17s. The brakes are no different than the EX models, which have 17" wheels. You can fit certain 16s if you wanted to as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
16 or 17 inch will fit

Hi,

Either 16 or 17 will fit. The 16 inch winter tires will usually be less expensive than the 17 inch...

You can go with 215/55R17 or 205/65R16 or 215/60R16 tires.

Of course, you will need new rims for these... make sure that they are hub-centric (and not the multi-fit, bolt-centric). You can get steel oem rims from a Honda dealer.

as for your local shop, it is either a honest mistake, or they are trying to sell you a very expensive 18 inch winter tire.... :frown

I have 205/60R16 winter tires on mine... down-sizing by 2, from the original 18 inch. This also adds an additional 1 inch of tire sidewall, which is a plus for winter potholes.

·
Go Blue!
112 Posts
Hi,

Either 16 or 17 will fit. The 16 inch winter tires will usually be less expensive than the 17 inch...

You can go with 215/55R17 or 205/65R16 or 215/60R16 tires.

Of course, you will need new rims for these... make sure that they are hub-centric (and not the multi-fit, bolt-centric). You can get steel oem rims from a Honda dealer.

as for your local shop, it is either a honest mistake, or they are trying to sell you a very expensive 18 inch winter tire.... :frown

I have 205/60R16 winter tires on mine... down-sizing by 2, from the original 18 inch. This also adds an additional 1 inch of tire sidewall, which is a plus for winter potholes.
I just ordered Michelin X-Ice XI3 in 205/65R16 and 16" steel wheels in +42mm offset. I am hoping that these wheels will fit. I am going to Tire Rack tomorrow to get them installed. How do I know if they are hub-centric or bolt-centric?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Centerbore 64.1mm

I just ordered Michelin X-Ice XI3 in 205/65R16 and 16" steel wheels in +42mm offset. I am hoping that these wheels will fit. I am going to Tire Rack tomorrow to get them installed. How do I know if they are hub-centric or bolt-centric?
Your Accord has a centerbore of 64.1mm, with a 5 x 114.3mm bolt pattern. For a hub-centric fit, you need the 64.1mm centerbore. This is the round opening in the center of the rim that would fit exactly to the hub on the car.

The +42mm offset should fit. Check out this site, it will verify the fitment of your new rims, and tires. You will also need the width of the 16 inch rim. The 18 inch rims on the Accord are 8 inches wide.

I went with a + 45 offset, and a 7 inch wide 16inch diameter rim.

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought a spare set of rims from an LX for my 2015 sport. It is what I did instead of paying for wheel insurance.

As you can see, they fit but the clearance between the wheel weight and the front brake caliper is about 1/4 inch or less. Steel rims may have more clearance because of the way the wheel weights are mounted on them versus the stick on weights on the alloy rims. The 2016 Sport and EX have bigger rotors than the 2013-2015 cars so I would go no lower than 17 inch rims for the current model cars excluding the LX of course. From memory, I think the offset on the factory LX rims is 51 and they are 16 by 7. Steel rims are I think only 6 1/2 inches wide. The slightly different offset should not matter but I am no expert on this.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts