Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I picked up my accord a while back and as I was driving this week, I heard a noise like a whistle when I accelerated and when only I accelerate. Decelerating it quiet. This noise wasn't there before. But now it is and the passengers in the back seat could hear it as well. The car only has 2k miles and the tires are stock and nothing has been added to the car. Is this the infamous CVT whining or something else? Up till now, I haven't heard it and my old accord sport didn't have this problem. Dealer worthy?

·
CD5 to CR2
205 Posts
Hi there. I picked up my accord a while back and as I was driving this week, I heard a noise like a whistle when I accelerated and when only I accelerate. Decelerating it quiet. This noise wasn't there before. But now it is and the passengers in the back seat could hear it as well. The car only has 2k miles and the tires are stock and nothing has been added to the car. Is this the infamous CVT whining or something else? Up till now, I haven't heard it and my old accord sport didn't have this problem. Dealer worthy?
Are you sure it's coming from the engine? Our cars are known to have a weak seal on the windows. Do a search for excessive window noise.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,224 Posts
Are you talking about wind whistle or transmission whistle? On earlier honda gen, the transmissions do have abysmal whistle whining noise, like an airplane was ready to take off, but they are not cvt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about wind whistle or transmission whistle? On earlier honda gen, the transmissions do have abysmal whistle whining noise, like an airplane was ready to take off, but they are not cvt.
Yeah. It sounds like an airplane about to take off. Like I said, my 2014 Sport was also a CVT and I never experienced this phenomenon. Also up till now the 2015 CVT never had this problem either. I read around and people say the "Whining" happens when they decelerate. My car is normal and quiet when it decelerates.

Are you sure it's coming from the engine? Our cars are known to have a weak seal on the windows. Do a search for excessive window noise.
Yes, I've checked for that and it's not the windows. When I cruise and apply pressure to the accelerator, only then does it occur. It sounds like a airplane as the guy below said. However, its only during acceleration and not deceleration.

Bad hootervalve:laugh
Bruh :joker:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got a whistle/squeal on my '15 Coupe 6-6 with 500mi. It's been there since new - I've just been too lazy to take it in to the dealer, thinking it's nothing serious and I want to wait a bit to see if anything else pops up so I can make just one trip.

My guess is a belt is slipping. It's only under fairly hard acceleration. I haven't checked for any cracks in the intake, but my old Accord with the cold-air intake had a whistle at certain RPM's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a whistle/squeal on my '15 Coupe 6-6 with 500mi. It's been there since new - I've just been too lazy to take it in to the dealer, thinking it's nothing serious and I want to wait a bit to see if anything else pops up so I can make just one trip.

My guess is a belt is slipping. It's only under fairly hard acceleration. I haven't checked for any cracks in the intake, but my old Accord with the cold-air intake had a whistle at certain RPM's.

Yeah my car is due for its first service this week. I'll ask the dealer about it. I don't mind the whistle. It's just that I'm award that it could lead to something big and costing me big in the long haul.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Best way I can describe the noise on deceleration is the way a tractor trailer sounds when slowing down.

Doesn't bother me - figure it is normal.

I did have the TSB done back in June, so I have new fluid and all that fun stuff.

·
15.white,sport
45 Posts
i have it too,its the passenger window when down and going about 40 mph on....iv been to busy to bring it in,its a common issue,thats about the only problem i have with car,just hit 1800 miles,no problems..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been hearing the whistle noise on my car since I've had the car, and heard other 9th gens make the same whistle noise too. It's not normal?

It almost makes it sound like a EV or a hybrid.

·
Lebowski Urban Achiever
301 Posts
Mine whistles too during acceleration. Might be normal but I'm not gonna fret it unless it gets louder. It's been doing it since about 5,000 miles. 36,000 on the clock now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have it too,its the passenger window when down and going about 40 mph on....iv been to busy to bring it in,its a common issue,thats about the only problem i have with car,just hit 1800 miles,no problems..
I am shopping for a 2016 ex coupe and one i have in mind did have this whistle around 40mph, didn't figure if it is related to acceleration or not. Have you since notice anything new like worsening noise?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have same issue with 2015 LX CVT, brought it back to dealer and they claimed it is normal. I would bring it to dealer anyway to get it on the books and allow for possible recourse if you have CVT failure after warranty period.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same issue with 2015 LX CVT, brought it back to dealer and they claimed it is normal. I would bring it to dealer anyway to get it on the books and allow for possible recourse if you have CVT failure after warranty period.
I have a 2015 Accord Touring and am noticing the same noise when accelerating. I am due for a tune up in a couple months but will probably take it in soon to check on that and I have also noticed a noise coming from the center console when the car is shut off.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The sound is normal. It happens both on my 2009 and 2013 Honda accord. I'm thinking it's this part in the engine that's make the sound. I could be wrong. The metal part has shaped openings that could cause passing air to make sounds much like how a flute instrument does.

Attachments

·
2015 EX-L V6 Sedan
140 Posts
I hear the "whistle" too. It seems louder when the engine is cold and I don't hear it at idle. The sound pitch varies with engine speed; the higher the rpm, the higher the pitch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts