Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last and best feature of the car is Honda's GPS solution: it's your phone. You can order the car with navigation for something around $1500, or you can download the HondaLink app from Honda for $59.99 and get something better. With the app, the car will display your phone's GPS on its seven-inch display. That means as you upgrade your phone, you'll be upgrading your GPS, too. I can't think of a better system.
I wonder if we will get a software update on our HondaLink to enable it? Or maybe someone can hack it flash it onto our cars? I'll be pretty mad if they refuse to update and ship '15 Accords with the new system, especially when this was available from MY2013 on Chinese Accords :mad:

Update: There appears to be an iOS version already, not sure about android and it only mentioned MY2014 Civics: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/hondalink-navigation-na/id737070895?mt=8

·
Registered
71 Posts
I hope so, just got my 14 Sport and already learned Siri is a no go... I would drop 60 or more in a second for that app/feature to work in our accords

·
Registered
924 Posts
im skeptical that a simple update would allow mirroring to the imid. if you look at the hacking the imid thread it requires extra parts to get a video signal to the imid screen. i just dont see it happening with an update to the imid system or a downloadable honda app. you still need a way to send the signal to the imid and all you have is either bluetooth or usb. im pretty sure usb to micro usb cable doesnt transfer a regular video signal without an mhl adapter. cant say for the iphone since i dont know how their connection works. bluetooth would be a terrible way to transfer video if it even can, the connection wouldnt transfer at a high enough rate without seriously compressing the signal.

if im wrong tho thats great and well have easy mirroring.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
im skeptical that a simple update would allow mirroring to the imid. if you look at the hacking the imid thread it requires extra parts to get a video signal to the imid screen. i just dont see it happening with an update to the imid system or a downloadable honda app. you still need a way to send the signal to the imid and all you have is either bluetooth or usb. im pretty sure usb to micro usb cable doesnt transfer a regular video signal without an mhl adapter. cant say for the iphone since i dont know how their connection works. bluetooth would be a terrible way to transfer video if it even can, the connection wouldnt transfer at a high enough rate without seriously compressing the signal.

if im wrong tho thats great and well have easy mirroring.
add on to what you said...

Note: Works in both standalone mode (for use when not driving) and when connected to 2014 Honda vehicles equipped with the HondaLink Next Generation-ready technology. Compatible with iPhone 5, 5C and 5S phones as of 12/4/2013. Requires registration with HondaLink. Requires HDMI cable connector, Apple lightning adapter, and Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® connection. See handsfreelink.honda.com for more details.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The brand, brand new Hondas with iOS mirroring all have one thing in common; an HDMI port. No HDMI port, no mirroring. I don't think a software update alone can enable this feature.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hmmm. So the unit's good for Apple or Android devices:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...he-subcompact-market-navigation-for-60-anyone

HondaLink: Navigation through your smartphone for $60

Navigation, also optional, and Lane Watch are displayed on a 7-inch LCD that Honda calls Display Audio. It’s the interface for controlling audio from the USB jack and HondaLink applications. They run on your smartphone if you’ve got a supported Apple iPhone or Android phone. Display Audio and HondaLink apps debuted on the 2014 edition of the Honda Civic. Much like the pioneering Chevrolet Spark and Sonic BringGo (originally GoGo Link) systems, you get reasonable navigation for less than a tenth the cost of most integrated navigation packages. This is the wave of the future. Even Nissan’s $595 Bosch in-dash navigation looks pricy in comparison because, er, it is on cars with list prices in the mid-teens.

This new version of HondaLink also includes the Aha content aggregator (internet radio, podcasts, Twitter and Facebook updates); a Connect app that leads the user to location searches, weather, and messaging; and a Launcher app for other third party apps, apparently meaning those apps get placement not on the main screen but one level down.

Display Audio also integrates Apple Siri Eyes Free mode, so iPhone users can invoke Siri by pressing (and holding) the steering wheel Talk button. Honda notes, “Using Eyes Free mode, Siri takes hands-free functionality even further and helps minimize distractions by keeping an iOS device’s screen from lighting up.” But it also means you get no direct control of the phone, not even of apps that can’t be displayed on the LCD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts