Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Corvalis TTX
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2015 Taurus SEL as a rental. Compared to my Accords it has three things going for it - quiet interior, decent sound system, large(r) trunk. That is it. Other than these three things it's not worth the dust you can grind it into.

The Sync system is slow, the touchscreen is an ergonomic nightmare in terms of placement and being able to easily touch the soft-buttons at the screen's bottom (have to turn my finger upside down to activate them), the turn signal/wiper stalk is too high at 10-o'clock and feels like it has the refinement of a breaking chicken wishbone. The brake pedal is far too high (and far too much higher than the gas pedal - it seems Ford took a page out of a 1980 Dodge Omni design spec here). The front cabin is cramped - feels tighter than the cabin in my S4. The interior B pillar really reduces shoulder room for the front seat occupants. The exterior door handles have a "tinny" feel and sound to them.

I suppose I could be charitable and say the instrument panel is better than the 9th gen Accords. The graphics are nicer and higher resolution and the information to the left and right of the speedo can be customized in numerous ways.

Overall I'm not impressed at all. Accord is far superior to Taurus. That is all.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I drove my coworkers 2015 Taurus SHO (365hp)and wasn't impressed either. It had some power when i floored it which i don't do to my vehicles but he liberally does it so i did also. Besides the nice amount of power i would "never" spend 40k+ for a ford. You could almost buy 2 Honda Sports for what he paid. Big waste of money!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Clean sheet Taurus (2016 model) due out in the fall. They did a good job with the Fusion, in my opinion.. wouldn't surprise me Ford gets it right this time with their flagship sedan.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
You can also get the Taurus in 4WD. This forum is so helpful with the information that is provided from those that rent cars because what looks good on paper isn't in necessarily in the Accord's league.

·
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4
554 Posts
So I have a 2015 Taurus SEL as a rental. Compared to my Accords it has three things going for it - quiet interior, decent sound system, large(r) trunk. That is it. Other than these three things it's not worth the dust you can grind it into.

The Sync system is slow, the touchscreen is an ergonomic nightmare in terms of placement and being able to easily touch the soft-buttons at the screen's bottom (have to turn my finger upside down to activate them), the turn signal/wiper stalk is too high at 10-o'clock and feels like it has the refinement of a breaking chicken wishbone. The brake pedal is far too high (and far too much higher than the gas pedal - it seems Ford took a page out of a 1980 Dodge Omni design spec here). The front cabin is cramped - feels tighter than the cabin in my S4. The interior B pillar really reduces shoulder room for the front seat occupants. The exterior door handles have a "tinny" feel and sound to them.

I suppose I could be charitable and say the instrument panel is better than the 9th gen Accords. The graphics are nicer and higher resolution and the information to the left and right of the speedo can be customized in numerous ways.

Overall I'm not impressed at all. Accord is far superior to Taurus. That is all.

Glad you posted those observations, because I've been dabbling with the possibility of buying a Taurus (assuming I lose my mind and leave Honda, followed by years of sorrow and regret). Looks like it would be more headache than reward anyways!

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Clean sheet Taurus (2016 model) due out in the fall. They did a good job with the Fusion, in my opinion.. wouldn't surprise me Ford gets it right this time with their flagship sedan.
The current Taurus has a cramped interior, huge exterior, high dashboard, a fat console, and short window syndrome with poor visibility. Other than that it's a great design j/k.

'16 looks to address all of those terrible design flaws. Having driven a couple of rental Tauri, I think they drive well. On par with Camry, Accord, Malibu, and Sonata. None of these midsized family sedans are particularly special, all very adequate. The Taurus really falls into the large class based on exterior dimensions.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
no need for 4wd never.
It was AWD, and yes there are great times to have it. I wouldn't be surprised to see it offered in the 10th gen Accord.

·
Registered
104 Posts
While this isn't exactly the same comparison, back in 2003 when I got my '04 Accord, I had a '96 Taurus LX. The Taurus wasn't a bad car (the '87 GL I had before the '96 was), and my original plan was to get a Ford Five-Hundred to replace my Taurus. My parents were American car people, and drilled it into me that foreign cars were too unreliable and too expensive to repair.

When the Taurus started acting up, I decided to get another car. The Five-Hundred wasn't released yet, and there was no way I was going to get another Taurus, which at the time was exactly the same car as my '96 with square headlights. It was very dated.

I started looking at Camrys and Accords. The Camry dealers quoted crazy prices. I fell in love with the Accord the second I sat in it. When that awesome Gen 7 dashboard lit up, I felt like I was getting ready to pilot a spaceship. I ended up getting a reasonably good deal on my '04 V6 EX-L, and the rest is history. I got 10 1/2 good years out of that car, and now have a 2013 Accord Touring, which has been absolutely flawless over the past year and change.

The difference in the build quality between the Accord and Taurus was light years apart. Everything about the Accord was nicer and more refined. It was literally a different (and better) world. And, of course, the Five-Hundred turned out to be a dated, boring, colossal dud of a car.

My brother also fell into my parents' "Buy American" philosophy. His last American car was a '98 Grand Prix, which seemed to require repairs for more than the car was worth every two months. He was actually going to buy another Grand Prix to replace his jalopy. I told him he was batpoo crazy and that he should look at Accords or Camrys. He ended up getting a great deal on a used '03 Camry. And once he drove it, he felt the same way I do. He couldn't believe how much better the Camry was as a car. He now has a 2012 Camry and loves it even more than the '03.

While the American car companies seem to have made some improvements to their cars in recent years, they still seem to be vastly inferior to many of the imports. I will not be going back to an American car anytime soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It was AWD, and yes there are great times to have it. I wouldn't be surprised to see it offered in the 10th gen Accord.
I would have loved to see it in Gen 9, and there's no reason why it couldn't have been offered. I would've grabbed an AWD Accord in a second. But I think an AWD Accord anytime soon in the U.S. or Canada may be wishful thinking. Honda seems to want to keep AWD as an Acura sedan exclusive.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The current Taurus has a cramped interior, huge exterior, high dashboard, a fat console, and short window syndrome with poor visibility. Other than that it's a great design j/k.

'16 looks to address all of those terrible design flaws. Having driven a couple of rental Tauri, I think they drive well. On par with Camry, Accord, Malibu, and Sonata. None of these midsized family sedans are particularly special, all very adequate. The Taurus really falls into the large class based on exterior dimensions.
Not to mention overweight. Nearly 4,000 pounds in 2WD models. Nearly 4,200 pounds in AWD models. Weighs about the same as a Honda Pilot.

·
HK Moderator
14,109 Posts
I do appreciate these rental car comparisons.....and the fact that you guys own a "newer" Accord.

While I may be dazzled by a few features when I rent a new car, I know that in a few short years, those GM and Ford products will leave me stranded, with little re-sale value, and repairs every 3 months.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Taurus?!??!? Unless you're in law enforcement or a cab driver, you should NOT be behind the wheel of a Ford Taurus.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Glad you posted those observations, because I've been dabbling with the possibility of buying a Taurus (assuming I lose my mind and leave Honda, followed by years of sorrow and regret). Looks like it would be more headache than reward anyways!
I would have no fear buying Ford or GM. Based on people I know who own them and continued quality improvements that the perceived quality gap is almost nonexistent based on a recent report on yahoo I read (story was on Yahoo, not written by them) which affirms other stories I've read in the recent past.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
While this isn't exactly the same comparison, back in 2003 when I got my '04 Accord, I had a '96 Taurus LX. The Taurus wasn't a bad car (the '87 GL I had before the '96 was), and my original plan was to get a Ford Five-Hundred to replace my Taurus. My parents were American car people, and drilled it into me that foreign cars were too unreliable and too expensive to repair.

When the Taurus started acting up, I decided to get another car. The Five-Hundred wasn't released yet, and there was no way I was going to get another Taurus, which at the time was exactly the same car as my '96 with square headlights. It was very dated.

I started looking at Camrys and Accords. The Camry dealers quoted crazy prices. I fell in love with the Accord the second I sat in it. When that awesome Gen 7 dashboard lit up, I felt like I was getting ready to pilot a spaceship. I ended up getting a reasonably good deal on my '04 V6 EX-L, and the rest is history. I got 10 1/2 good years out of that car, and now have a 2013 Accord Touring, which has been absolutely flawless over the past year and change.

The difference in the build quality between the Accord and Taurus was light years apart. Everything about the Accord was nicer and more refined. It was literally a different (and better) world. And, of course, the Five-Hundred turned out to be a dated, boring, colossal dud of a car.

My brother also fell into my parents' "Buy American" philosophy. His last American car was a '98 Grand Prix, which seemed to require repairs for more than the car was worth every two months. He was actually going to buy another Grand Prix to replace his jalopy. I told him he was batpoo crazy and that he should look at Accords or Camrys. He ended up getting a great deal on a used '03 Camry. And once he drove it, he felt the same way I do. He couldn't believe how much better the Camry was as a car. He now has a 2012 Camry and loves it even more than the '03.

While the American car companies seem to have made some improvements to their cars in recent years, they still seem to be vastly inferior to many of the imports. I will not be going back to an American car anytime soon.
Just talked to a friend on Sunday and he has 198K on his GP and it's doing great. It has needed a water pump and alternator. My '92 Buick and several other GM cars were very reliable past 100K.One out of a million perhaps but I know a lot of people with American iron that don't have horrendous repairs and being a car nut, I ask people about their cars.
My brother's 05 Ody with less than 70K on the clock needed rear hatch struts, rear shocks, motor mounts, and a fuel pump that spilled gas into the cabin and it had to be towed to the dealer. Hmm, maybe one in a million here too.

·
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4
554 Posts

I would have no fear buying Ford or GM. Based on people I know who own them and continued quality improvements that the perceived quality gap is almost nonexistent based on a recent report on yahoo I read (story was on Yahoo, not written by them) which affirms other stories I've read in the recent past.

Oh absolutely. I wouldn't be afraid of choosing a *different* Ford, but based on what made Markus uncomfortable, I can more or less share those same preferences. I'm definitely looking forward to researching the specs/dimensions of the new Taurus though, since people are saying it will be improved.

·
Registered
639 Posts

The Taurus is a full-size car (and not practically on a technicality as was the 8th gen Accord). Ford was on a all-names-will-start-with-F kick for a while, and wanted to make the old Taurus for another year or two for fleets, so they named their new mid-size car Fusion instead of a next-gen Taurus. Meanwhile, their full-size car was the Five Hundred. Someone with a bit of clue pointed out that it was foolish to drop the valuable Taurus nameplate, and so what was basically a mid-model refresh for the Five Hundred became the Taurus.

My guess is that a 2016 Taurus will be aimed at the 300, Avalon, and Impala; not at the mid-size sedans.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've had a few looks at the current Fushions: Just small front seats: the seatbacks have about no shoulder support and the seat cushions are awfully small. The dead pedal is half blocked by a plastic panel which probably has fuses behind it.
View out the windows not as good as an Accord.

Fusion trunk is quite narrow with the extra large felt liners all around the massive hood props.

The myriad of engine choices crack me up: buy the base model and get a 2.5L
buy the mid model and it has a 1.6L turbo engine??? Dude, I don't want a 1.6L engine in my midsize sedan, turbo'd or not.

anyhow, blech, no Fords for me. They are ranked very low as a brand overall by Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had a few looks at the current Fushions: Just small front seats: the seatbacks have about no shoulder support and the seat cushions are awfully small. The dead pedal is half blocked by a plastic panel which probably has fuses behind it.
View out the windows not as good as an Accord.

Fusion trunk is quite narrow with the extra large felt liners all around the massive hood props.

The myriad of engine choices crack me up: buy the base model and get a 2.5L
buy the mid model and it has a 1.6L turbo engine??? Dude, I don't want a 1.6L engine in my midsize sedan, turbo'd or not.

anyhow, blech, no Fords for me. They are ranked very low as a brand overall by Consumer Reports.
I'm not digging the mandatory 4 cyl. engines in a lot of mid-size sedans today. A turbo is not a replacement for a V6. If the Accord and Camry go exclusively to 4 cyl. engines it would be a deal killer for me.

Can't believe they ruined that gorgeous new Volvo XC90 by offering only 4 cyl. engines, especially in a $50,000+ car.

·
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4
554 Posts
I'm not digging the mandatory 4 cyl. engines in a lot of mid-size sedans today. A turbo is not a replacement for a V6. If the Accord and Camry go exclusively to 4 cyl. engines it would be a deal killer for me.

Can't believe they ruined that gorgeous new Volvo XC90 by offering only 4 cyl. engines, especially in a $50,000+ car.

I know right?! Don't get me wrong, I've driven the Escape w/ 2.0L, and that thing pulls HARD between 2000-3xxx RPMs, but there was a hugely noticeable, progressive loss of power in the top end, representative of the typical turbo power curve. The next gear of course puts you back in the seat again. Super fun, but I'm with you on a nicer car should have a nicer (BIGGER) power plant than the base or preceding trims, not a SMALLER one.

I can definitely appreciate brands like Ford (EcoBoost Mustang... I can't believe I'm supporting this car in ANY argument) Mercedes (CLA/GLA45), etc., etc. bringing 300+ hp out of such small displacements, but that much strain over time can't possibly offer simultaneous reliability.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts