Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an update to tire/wheel noise that some people were experiencing with their 2016/2017 Honda Accord, see TSB below.

My experience with Honda, dealership and warranty repairs on 2017 Honda Accord Sports SE, Tire brand: Continental

I was having tire/wheel noise since May 2018, since then I also noticed my car started to vibrate while braking and a rattling noise coming from driver side window while driving at uneven pavement. After trying to resolve this issue with 2 dealership since May (would not even look into it properly despite multiple visit, seating with mechanic to show the problem and leaving the car for days) to the point, I felt pretty hopeless that a new car with less than 10K miles would give me this much trouble and Honda/Dealership would do nothing about it..except telling me to visit another dealership. First two dealership did nothing other than call it "normal".

So after all that, I gave another shot at a 3rd dealership about tire/wheel noise, vibration and window problem. Thankfully, they were able to resolve the window issue but not without multiple visit (3) and keeping the car for days. And now I am still having wheel noise and vibration problem while braking at high speed. I just left the car today in hope that they will take care of this problem.

To sum it up, the amount of visits I have made to Dealership since May, 2018 and taking days off from work just to have them hear me out was extremely horrendous. This is far by the worse and extremely bad warranty experience I have ever had. This may very well be the last Honda I will ever own.

2017 Honda Accord tire bead TSB (Bulletin ATS 180602)
Bulletin Date: Jun. 19, 2018
Component: Tire bead.

Bulletin Summary: Tech line summary article - tech line has been getting calls about a rubbing noise while driving at low speed. We're working with our field engineers to understand the issue and are in the process of calling in parts.

Vehicles covered in this TSB: 2016 Honda Accord, 2017 Honda Accord.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Anybody got a full copy of this bulletin or info on which tires might be involved?

I have Goodyear on my '16 EX CVT Coupe and I occasionally hear rubbing sounds when I'm in reverse with the steering wheel to full right lock, and moving at slow speed. I think it's left front. Dealer inspected front suspension during service in Aug, but didn't find anything, and didn't hear the noise.

Could it be this tire rubbing noise?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Anybody got a full copy of this bulletin or info on which tires might be involved?

I have Goodyear on my '16 EX CVT Coupe and I occasionally hear rubbing sounds when I'm in reverse with the steering wheel to full right lock, and moving at slow speed. I think it's left front. Dealer inspected front suspension during service in Aug, but didn't find anything, and didn't hear the noise.

Could it be this tire rubbing noise?
Check if the resonator chamber is securely fixed in place or if it or anything else is hanging loose.

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
1,811 Posts
And now I am still having wheel noise and vibration problem while braking at high speed. I just left the car today in hope that they will take care of this problem.
The vibration problem when braking is pad buildup on the rotors. It is the soft pad material that Honda uses. Issue is this: let's say you are in traffic with lots of braking, or come down a long off-ramp scrubbing off speed, you get the rotors / pads nice and hot. Then you sit at a light with the brakes depressed, the hot pad material will transfer to the hot rotors and build up. When you brake again, the rotor surface is no longer smooth and you get the vibration.

My Pilot suffered the same issue and now my Accord experiences this too with 22K. Unless you are under 12K/12mo, then you need to pay to have the rotors turned. I'll live with it until I change out the pads with ceramic ones. The Pilot has a good set of ceramics with new rotors and in the last 20K, not one issue with vibration when braking, even when hot.

Can't help with the wheel noise issue as I'm not experiencing it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same tire noise issue. The dealerships here say that i have to deal with it. I called and e-mailed Honda corporate and they basically told me to pound sand.
It is a known issue with the 19" wheels. This really pisses me off.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,713 Posts
If you are also having similar issue file a complaint with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Honda is stalling on this, vibration and rotor issue as result of rubbing problem.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
I doubt the NHTSA will force Honda to do a recall because I don't see this as a "Safety" issue. Honda would probably have to issue a recall on it's own. How likely is that?

Reactions: mtts60

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
1,811 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar noise coming from my left front and audible a speeds below 15mph. Took to dealership on Wednesday.

2017 Touring with 19k miles.

First technician could not hear the noise. Took the LF brakes apart and couldn’t find anything to cause the rubbing noise. Service writer delivered the car to me as “no issue found”.

I asked to take the car out on a test drive with another technician who confirmed the noise and diagnosed “bad wheel bearing” as the noise seemed to change pitch when the tire was turned. Wheel bearing replaced. Noise still there.

Moved tire from LF to LR...noise gone. Diagnosed as unidentified tire noise not posing a safety concern as no excessive or unusual wear was observed.

As I just had the tires rotated 800miles ago, I had the tires returned to original positions and I’ll drive it as the noise is only audible with the windows open at low speed.

I’m not a fan of Continental tires. Have had problems on every car that I’ve owned that had them as OEM’s. Worst was on a 2014 Outback; had all 4 tires replaced twice under warranty due to various defects within 20k miles.....Contis come off as soon as it makes sense to do so.

·
2016 Touring 6AT
114 Posts
I have the same noise, sometimes if I jack up the pressure it goes away for a while then eventually comes back. I've heard the bead of some tires doesn't seat well on the sport rims. I also had a slow air leak problem in 1 of the tires for the first while I owned the car, until discount tire used some bead sealer. Maybe something about the rim is causing slipping/rubbing at the bead for certain tires?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If the wheel bearing really was bad and causing the tire to hop around a little while driving it will put a wear pattern in the tire that will cause noise and vibration. Same can happen with an out of balance wheel or bad suspension components. You might be able to feel a difference if you glide your hand along the tire tread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You ever figure this out? My 2016 Touring has been having the same issue for a while. Still under 22k miles and shipping for new tires this week.

I had a similar noise coming from my left front and audible a speeds below 15mph. Took to dealership on Wednesday.

2017 Touring with 19k miles.

First technician could not hear the noise. Took the LF brakes apart and couldn’t find anything to cause the rubbing noise. Service writer delivered the car to me as “no issue found”.

I asked to take the car out on a test drive with another technician who confirmed the noise and diagnosed “bad wheel bearing” as the noise seemed to change pitch when the tire was turned. Wheel bearing replaced. Noise still there.

Moved tire from LF to LR...noise gone. Diagnosed as unidentified tire noise not posing a safety concern as no excessive or unusual wear was observed.

As I just had the tires rotated 800miles ago, I had the tires returned to original positions and I’ll drive it as the noise is only audible with the windows open at low speed.

I’m not a fan of Continental tires. Have had problems on every car that I’ve owned that had them as OEM’s. Worst was on a 2014 Outback; had all 4 tires replaced twice under warranty due to various defects within 20k miles.....Contis come off as soon as it makes sense to do so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased a 2017 Honda Accord Touring about a month ago. I was experiencing the same issue. This is what the Honda Tech said and what was done to resolve the issue.

"Found noise coming from combination of continental tires on sport model 19" wheels. This is a normal characteristic or sidewall flex at each spoke location where the side of the wheel is machined differently. Found tires under - inflated which makes noise more noticeable. Inflated tires to 37 psi per recommendation in a tech line forum article relating to this common concern. Noise has been reduced. There is currently no 100% solution to eliminate the noise. Some customers have been satisfied with switching brand of tire when when vehicle is due for new tires."

-The noise is significantly reduced to the point that I did not hear it when I left the dealership. (about 30 min ago)
-I checked my tires last week and they were inflated to the specifications in the door jam.
-Whenever I do need a new set of tires, I will definitely not get the continentals that came with the car.
-However, I am satisfied that the noise is gone and that this issue never posed a safety issue with the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Just chiming in that new tires complete eliminated the noise for me. I went with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II in stock 235/40/19 size. Very quiet and smooth tire and best of all no low-speed scrubbing noise!

·
8th Gen Believer
4,647 Posts
Run your hand around on the inside tire surfaces, looking for bumps. It's called cupping and you usually can't see them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
can you update me on the noise? Did u keep the original 19’s? Which exact models tires did u replace with ? Thanks
I’m interested in this as well

Just chiming in that new tires complete eliminated the noise for me. I went with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II in stock 235/40/19 size. Very quiet and smooth tire and best of all no low-speed scrubbing noise!
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts