Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 honda accord lx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling into a parking place with concrete parking stop. The front lip scrapes the undercarriage. What would you recommend to prevent scrapes (lip guard) etc. Please no dumb comment like don't do it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Look into parking spot before pulling into it and yes do not go far enough to scrape it if you see that clearance is too low/high. Park elsewhere. Back into parking spot. Most important use your peanut.

·
2010 2.4EX
402 Posts
Pulling into a parking place with concrete parking stop. The
front lip scrapes the undercarriage. What would you
recommend to prevent scrapes (lip guard) etc. Please
no dumb comment like don't do it.
Thanks
I will say 'Don't do it' - to the morons in the design department who made the front end of most post-model year 2010 cars so darn low to the ground!

Sorry you have to experience it. I don't know if running cold tire pressures 2-3psi above factory sticker might alleviate this well known issue.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,917 Posts
. . . the morons in the design department who made the front end of most post-model year 2010 cars so darn low to the ground!
^ Dunning–Kruger effect

There's a reason why cars are designed the way they are.

To improve Cd, designers may make the following changes:
  • Adjust the front fascia and air dam to reduce drag under the vehicle
Ford's Wegryn also predicts increased use of active aerodynamic devices in the future, such as:
  • Active ride height that lowers the vehicle at speed, which Ford employed on the Lincoln Mark VIII and which appears on Mercedes-Benz vehicles with Airmatic suspensions. According to Mercedes, "Lowering the ride height at speed results in a 3-percent improvement in drag."
How to Improve the Aerodynamics of Your Car Automakers spend a lot of time optimizing vehicles' aerodynamics. But is there anything we can do to improve — or at least not degrade — the aerodynamics of our own vehicles?

You'll also improve aerodynamics by:
  • Reducing the use of roof racks
  • Rolling up your windows and turning on the air conditioner at higher speeds, typically above 35 mph
  • Replacing a broken or missing front air dam
  • Lowering your vehicle
  • Running narrower tires
  • Choosing smoother wheels (ideally, flush discs like those on vehicles trying to set land speed records)
You can reduce your vehicle's aerodynamics by:
  • Lifting it — "an inch of increased ride height degrades the coefficient of drag by about 10 drag counts [.01]," says Wegryn.

·
2010 2.4EX
402 Posts
^ Dunning–Kruger effect

There's a reason why cars are designed the way they are.

To improve Cd, designers may make the following changes:

• Adjust the front fascia and air dam to reduce drag under the vehicle
Ford's Wegryn also predicts increased use of active aerodynamic devices in the future, such as:

• Active ride height that lowers the vehicle at speed, which Ford employed on the Lincoln Mark VIII and which appears on Mercedes-Benz vehicles with Airmatic suspensions. According to Mercedes, "Lowering the ride height at speed results in a 3-percent improvement in drag."
How to Improve the Aerodynamics of Your Car Automakers spend a lot of time optimizing vehicles' aerodynamics. But is there anything we can do to improve — or at least not degrade — the aerodynamics of our own vehicles?

You'll also improve aerodynamics by:

• Reducing the use of roof racks
    • Rolling up your windows and turning on the air conditioner at higher speeds, typically above 35 mph
    • Replacing a broken or missing front air dam
    • Lowering your vehicle
    • Running narrower tires
    • Choosing smoother wheels (ideally, flush discs like those on vehicles trying to set land speed records)
You can reduce your vehicle's aerodynamics by:

• Lifting it — "an inch of increased ride height degrades the coefficient of drag by about 10 drag counts [.01]," says Wegryn.
They could do enough of that without lowering the damn front end of the car so low that drivers consistently run the risk of scraping the front splitter every time they pull off a road into a parking lot or driveway.

Aerodynamics with common sense.

·
cvt - NOT
1,221 Posts
You just have to be cognizant of the car's front end clearance 24/7. Especially when pulling into a parking spot with curbs and or parking stops as they are seemingly getting taller every year. 😆

·
2010 2.4EX
402 Posts
Comments but no answers :(. I'll try adding some air.
In post #3, after critcizing automotive designers for making recent model lips/noses so low in the first place, I did recommend running slightly higher than recommended tire pressures to see if that helps. Such might raise the front lip a few mm, enough to make a difference, depending on your speed when negotiating a parking space.

As far as "just don't do it" comments: In cars with belt lines/door sills and dash cowls and rear window sills up in the stratosphere!) it's often hard not to pull into or over something in a vehicle with slits for windows!

And before someone starts justifying the above modern automotive design nonsense, no such justification means that it's the right way to do things. I never drove over or backed into any ground features in broad daylight in any car I drove from around 2000 or older model year.

In my 1996 Ford Contour or '81 Buick Century, I could see the top of a two-year olds head out of any window, over the hood, and above the trunk lid of those cars. Now, you need a frickn camera to do that.

You just have to be cognizant of the car's front end clearance
24/7. Especially when pulling into a parking spot with curbs
and or parking stops as they are seemingly getting taller every
year. 😆
It's amazing how parking stops, islands, and curbs get taller, as folks get into newer cars with lesser and lesser ground clearance.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,917 Posts
If The_K_Man were in charge of designing cars...

car01.png

... we'd have this

car02.png

• Small diameter wheels and tall sidewall tires to give you that comfortable ride? Check.
  • Glass headlamp (because plastic is stupid)? Check
  • Front bumper/lip/nose with plenty of clearance? Check
  • Low belt line? Check
  • Low dash cowl? Check
  • Open airy cabin with large windows for visibility? Check
  • Door sill too high? Put in a mini step ladder for easier ingress.

·
2010 2.4EX
402 Posts
If The_K_Man were in charge of designing cars...

View attachment 530127

... we'd have this

View attachment 530128

• Small diameter wheels and tall sidewall tires to give you that comfortable ride? Check.
  • Glass headlamp (because plastic is stupid)? Check
  • Front bumper/lip/nose with plenty of clearance? Check
  • Low belt line? Check
  • Low dash cowl? Check
  • Open airy cabin with large windows for visibility? Check
  • Door sill too high? Put in a mini step ladder for easier ingress.
You're wayy overthinking it - just grab a 6th or 7th gen Accord, and most, not all, of those issues will be moot!

Door sill Oops! I meant the top of the door, where you could rest your elbow

·
cvt - NOT
1,221 Posts
Comments but no answers :(. I'll try adding some air.
What sort of solution do you think any of us can provide, other than to be cognizant of the cars front end clearance?

Perhaps, air suspension to raise the car, only back into a parking spot, or purchase an SUV?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
1. Stop being poor
2. Buy a Lambo
3. ????
4. Profit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts