Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents I need your input,

So early this year I bought a 2016 V6 Auto (6 speed) with 77,000 miles that a good friend of mine had owned since new. Well I was offered the car for a cool $4k since his wife ran the driver side down a truck clear from the front left fender through the quarter panel. I just got it back from body work and paint it seriously looks mint. Now, back to the issue. There was no frame damage in the accident, it was low speed and simply required an alignment - no suspension damage, no strange noises from componentry. However, the powertrain at idle has a slight knocking noise, sort of sound like the A/C compressor kicked on (when it's off). The noise had me slightly worried it may be the auto tensioner, however when I took it in to Honda for an alignment and state inspection they told me it was without a doubt the torque converter making this noise. I've heard of this issue on similar year models, what should I do?

Should I consider dumping the pan fluid and going back with Honda Genuine ATF or Amsoil or is this going to be a definite Torque Converter replacement? If I need to replace the converter, can someone please link a video or write up for a 9th gen torque converter replacement, I was unable to find one. I assume my car is also without a shred of doubt out of powertrain warranty? - I also ran my mouth that it had been in an accident (stupid of me) so now it definitely won't be covered.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
I don't know how much I'd trust a dealership diagnosis, they're not always the best at diagnostics. Not a bad idea to get a second opinion from a trusted independent shop.

It's not hard to rule out something like the timing belt tensioner with a mechanic's stethoscope or long screwdriver. Touch it to the area the tensioner sits in and see if you can hear the ticking from there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input! I'll contact the local Honda/Acura performance shop after Christmas, they're very reputable as far as I know. I'll use the long screwdriver trick to check the autotensioner and I may get under the car with it idling to feel the bell housing.

Registered
Is the V6 a Direct Inject engine?

My '16 4-cyl has DI and I can hear it clicking when standing still, especially if the hood is open. It has done that from Day 1, back in early in 2016...

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Is the V6 a Direct Inject engine?
No, it is port injected. By the time Honda moved to GDI on the V6 the Accord V6 was gone from this world.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: When I picked up the car yesterday evening the quote they gave me was not only for the torque converter but the ENTIRE transmission鈥 Umm what? This car has been well maintained by the previous owner and it鈥檚 100% stock. Zero drivability issues. The service writer went on to say, yeah the mechanic said the torque converter is failing, something about the bearings, pistons and I started giving him a crazy look. He then said the mechanic explained it better (yeah, I鈥檓 sure he did). So I plan to follow up when the mechanic is in and I still asked the SW to submit a warranty claim.

I鈥檝e got a pretty extensive mechanical background and do all of my own maintenance- I took the car in primarily to ensure a clean bill of health in regard to the suspension. I plan on getting input from another shop, I鈥檒l do additional diagnosis myself and worst case is I鈥檒l make repairs myself. I wish swapping to a manual trans was of similar difficulty to that of 90鈥檚 Honda鈥檚.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
The ATs here are not particularly known for having trouble, provided there are regular fluid changes (every 30k at least). I still agree with what I said earlier, it sounds a lot like your dealer is trying to make some extra cash.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I did a little digging online and found some food for thought. With Christmas and the crappy weather (lousy excuse since the car is garaged) I haven't yet done any diagnostics on the car. However, the 2013 - 2016 models with the V6 Auto have a service bulletin for starter grinds / spins at startup - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10115802-9999.pdf. While my car does not suffer from this issue it seems that there very well may simply be an issue with the flex plate. I'm not sure if the service bulletin has been done on this car, I doubt it. While doing my initial diagnosis of the car, I'll pull the inspection cover and spin the motor to see if the flex plate has been marked while looking for signs of damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts