Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you paired your phones with Bluetooth or just plugged them in and set up AA/CP with no BT connection. Reason I ask is I was always pairing my phones and then setting up AA/CP and had lots of issues such as you're describing.

I reset my HU and didn't pair anything. Carplay has been near flawless since. I think there's a conflict for priority if you BT pair.
I'm not implying you weren't experiencing issues, but as a counterpoint, I paired my iPhone 7+ with BT first then started using CarPlay and it's working fine. Sometimes I see the bluetooth connect for a second then disconnect when CarPlay starts up, right at the beginning of a drive, but other than that the bluetooth connection is ignored while CarPlay is active. I have a 2017 Hybrid EX-L if that's relevant.

I'm not sure it matters though, I setup the bluetooth connection thinking I might not always plug my phone in, but I really like CarPlay and use it exclusively for my infotainment except if I listen to the radio or satellite, or if I want to look at the trip computer.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The whole "not an approved phone" is such a load of horse crap.
To be fair, Honda works with many phone manufacturers and many models of phones from said manufacturers. Obviously, it's impossible to build reliable integration with every phone model made, especially when new models are arriving on the scene almost on a daily basis. I hardly think Honda could be to blame for this.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
To be fair, Honda works with many phone manufacturers and many models of phones from said manufacturers. Obviously, it's impossible to build reliable integration with every phone model made, especially when new models are arriving on the scene almost on a daily basis. I hardly think Honda could be to blame for this.
You have such low expectations for Honda. And they know that. Which is why they can get away with this crap.

Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop manage to handle hundreds of new cameras across dozens of manufacturers each year with no problem.

Aftermarket head units manage to handle new phones from every manufacturer with no problem.

CarPlay and Android Auto manage to incorporate new mapping features, new apps, new layouts multiple times a year with no problem. And they support every new phone that comes along.

The low bar Honda (and every other car company) has set for themselves has produced customers who demand so little from them. Which is why they need to get out of the business of managing the infotainment system. Let Apple and Android do it for them and get out of the way.

Need proof? For my 2015 Sport, the only Apple approved phones are the 4, 4S (who even has them any longer?), 5, 5S and 5C. No 6, 6S, 7 or 7S. The latest phone my Honda supports was released four years ago. And guess what? They will never update my car to be compatible with any iPhone made after 2013. Still hold Honda blameless?

More? When you go on Honda's HFL Web Site to check which phones your brand spanky new 2017 Accord supports, they don't even list their own 2017 Accord! Still hold Honda blameless?

Can't blame Honda? My posterior! I absolutely blame them. They are clueless when it comes to how to make and keep current a decent infotainment system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Night mode

Maybe we can get this thread back on track. My wife and I both purchased new Hondas in January. I got a 2017 Accord Touring, and my wife got a 2017 CR-V EX-L. Her CR-V appears to have a newer version of the infotainment hardware. While the actual software appears to be the same, her soft buttons are different, and the unit is all around much snappier.

When plugging either of our iPhone 7's into her CR-V, the automatic switch to night mode happens flawlessly in Maps. At night, when on the road, it is in dark mode. When we pull into the garage, there is so much light from the overhead fluorescent bulbs, that the CR-V switches back to day mode. Her headlights are switched to the automatic setting.

When plugging either of our iPhone 7's into my Accord, Maps does not switch to night mode. My headlights are set to automatic. The only way I can get night mode is to use the hard buttons on the display to switch from day to night mode. Really annoying.

Both iPhones are up-to-date and have been since we purchased the vehicles. Both cars are using an Apple USB/lightning cable. And we have even tried switching the cables between the cars to see if it was an issue with the cables. We previously worked for Apple (10+ years between the two of us). While some of you may think this makes me biased, I don't care where the problem arises. I just want it fixed. But, from what I can tell from my own attempts at isolating the issue, it appears to be the car, not the phone. Both of our phones work perfectly in the CR-V. Both of our phones fail to switch to night mode in the Accord. Basic troubleshooting.

I have played with the ambient light sensor settings in the head unit to no avail. I have reset the head unit to factory settings, removed the phone from CarPlay, and set it back up to no avail. I am not using Bluetooth and have never connected it via Bluetooth to the Accord or CR-V, so I don't think that is the problem.

Next step is to bring it to Honda and see if they can figure it out, unless some of you have any other suggestions!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Maybe we can get this thread back on track. My wife and I both purchased new Hondas in January. I got a 2017 Accord Touring, and my wife got a 2017 CR-V EX-L. Her CR-V appears to have a newer version of the infotainment hardware. While the actual software appears to be the same, her soft buttons are different, and the unit is all around much snappier.

When plugging either of our iPhone 7's into her CR-V, the automatic switch to night mode happens flawlessly in Maps. At night, when on the road, it is in dark mode. When we pull into the garage, there is so much light from the overhead fluorescent bulbs, that the CR-V switches back to day mode. Her headlights are switched to the automatic setting.

When plugging either of our iPhone 7's into my Accord, Maps does not switch to night mode. My headlights are set to automatic. The only way I can get night mode is to use the hard buttons on the display to switch from day to night mode. Really annoying.

Both iPhones are up-to-date and have been since we purchased the vehicles. Both cars are using an Apple USB/lightning cable. And we have even tried switching the cables between the cars to see if it was an issue with the cables. We previously worked for Apple (10+ years between the two of us). While some of you may think this makes me biased, I don't care where the problem arises. I just want it fixed. But, from what I can tell from my own attempts at isolating the issue, it appears to be the car, not the phone. Both of our phones work perfectly in the CR-V. Both of our phones fail to switch to night mode in the Accord. Basic troubleshooting.

I have played with the ambient light sensor settings in the head unit to no avail. I have reset the head unit to factory settings, removed the phone from CarPlay, and set it back up to no avail. I am not using Bluetooth and have never connected it via Bluetooth to the Accord or CR-V, so I don't think that is the problem.

Next step is to bring it to Honda and see if they can figure it out, unless some of you have any other suggestions!
Does your display switch to night mode when the phone is not connected? I had the problem until I discovered that my display was on the highest brightness setting whether it is day or night. When I used the adjustment knob on the upper right of the instrument display and rotated it counter-clockwise, which turned off the highest brightness setting, all the displays switched to night mode appropriately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks! I never thought that the instrument cluster brightness would control the auto brightness on the infotainment system. Now I am kicking myself for not asking earlier. This has been my only frustration with the Accord since I bought it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Purchased a 2017 accord EXL on 5/31/17. On 6/10/17 after being in car 10 minutes, CarPlay locks up. Unplugging cable changes nothing. Could switch back to a working and playing regular and satellite radio, but volume would not change from where it was when CarPlay froze. Had a volume bar at top of top display that has never been there before. All volume displays would change with wheel and main unit buttons, but actual volume would not. Turned car off and on and displays and radio would not come back on, stayed black. Left car off for an hour and everything worked properly when turned back on. Volume bar on top display during problem went away.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Here's the bigger problem. It'll be difficult if not impossible for Honda to recreate it which will then prompt them to blame the iOS you're using. Apple will blame the manufacturer's head unit, and nothing will get fixed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Purchased a 2017 accord EXL on 5/31/17. On 6/10/17 after being in car 10 minutes, CarPlay locks up. Unplugging cable changes nothing. Could switch back to a working and playing regular and satellite radio, but volume would not change from where it was when CarPlay froze. Had a volume bar at top of top display that has never been there before. All volume displays would change with wheel and main unit buttons, but actual volume would not. Turned car off and on and displays and radio would not come back on, stayed black. Left car off for an hour and everything worked properly when turned back on. Volume bar on top display during problem went away.

The head unit basically crashed. It happens from time to time (it runs an old version of Android). If you left the black screen there after turning the car off and on, it would eventually boot up after a few minutes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fixed CarPlay issues for my car

Have you paired your phones with Bluetooth or just plugged them in and set up AA/CP with no BT connection. Reason I ask is I was always pairing my phones and then setting up AA/CP and had lots of issues such as you're describing.

I reset my HU and didn't pair anything. Carplay has been near flawless since. I think there's a conflict for priority if you BT pair.
mactrader is on to something. I have a 2017 Hybrid EX-L and have experienced intermittent problems with CarPlay since I bought the car in Sept2017. I have tried all of the plug-in order solutions & reset suggestions but nothing was a permanent fix. Before I found this forum, before I found mactraders post - I started playing with different settings, waiting a few weeks between changes to evaluate the effect of each change.

Since unpairing my phone via the car BT settings page CarPlay has been solid. No lost calls, crashes, lockups, etc. It has been 4 weeks w/out an issue. If that changes I will post an update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Same problem here with 2016 Accord Coupe EX-L and iPhone 8 plus. I have tried factory reset on head unit, hard reset on phone, unpairing bluetooth, and turning off icloud music library. I listen to podcasts and use waze and get the "No Device Connected" message after a few minutes of Carplay working. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know there have been 2 firmware updates for the head unit since the car was released. Haven’t checked if anything new in the last 6 months. Will check again if I find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know there have been 2 firmware updates for the head unit since the car was released. Haven’t checked if anything new in the last 6 months. Will check again if I find anything.

2? What was the second one?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’d have to go back to the service bulletins. Need to subscribe to another day of the service advisor and comb around for previous ones as well as any new ones. I do it every 6 months. I’ll get the latest version I have when I get in the car tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can’t have both bluetooth and the usb cable configured for use at the same time if you want to ise carplay

If, after doing the reset you discribed, you did not set bluetooth up again, I would look at the usb cable. My apple lightning cable became frayed so I replaced it w a third party cable I used in the house. While the cable worked fine for charging, carplay didnt like it. I bought a new apple branded cable and things are good again.

Not saying no 3rd party cable will work but the one I had was a dud.

FYI, I am currently using iOS12 on my 8Plus and it works fine.

Hello,

Same problem here with 2016 Accord Coupe EX-L and iPhone 8 plus. I have tried factory reset on head unit, hard reset on phone, unpairing bluetooth, and turning off icloud music library. I listen to podcasts and use waze and get the "No Device Connected" message after a few minutes of Carplay working. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You can’t have both bluetooth and the usb cable configured for use at the same time if you want to ise carplay.
I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly but - I am able to have one phone connected to USB doing CarPlay / maps and another playing music over Bluetooth. That works just fine for me, you just have to force the audio input to BT after CarPlay is launched.

I agree about cables; I have had very good luck using Anker braided cables with no issues; in fact I have 3 CarPlay enabled cars (my Accord is only OEM HU) and I think Anker cables are in all of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly but - I am able to have one phone connected to USB doing CarPlay / maps and another playing music over Bluetooth. That works just fine for me, you just have to force the audio input to BT after CarPlay is launched.
I think they mean with the same phone. Before CarPlay, a head unit could connect a phone via USB for playing media, and would simultaneously be connected to it via Bluetooth for phone functions. My experience with CarPlay (on my AppRadio 4 in my previous car and in 2017 Accord) is that CarPlay forces the phone to disconnect from bluetooth when the CarPlay connection is active. It doesn't prevent other devices from connecting to the car via Bluetooth, just the CarPlay phone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think they mean with the same phone.
Correct, I was referring to having a single iPhone connected to both simultaneously. I have found that connecting my iPhone to just Bluetooth works fine & connecting via a cable w/ Bluetooth disabled on my iPhone or the iPhone is not paired also works fine. But when your iPhone is paired and actively connected to the cars Bluetooth and you have the iPhone connected to the front USB port (on my car) at the same time - problems occur.

181 - 200 of 218 Posts