Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correct, I was referring to having a single iPhone connected to both simultaneously. I have found that connecting my iPhone to just Bluetooth works fine & connecting via a cable w/ Bluetooth disabled on my iPhone or the iPhone is not paired also works fine. But when your iPhone is paired and actively connected to the cars Bluetooth and you have the iPhone connected to the front USB port (on my car) at the same time - problems occur.
I was having some CarPlay connection issues, but it turns out that I was getting a pesky iTunes "verify password" alert on the phone, and it was breaking CarPlay's connection. I have been running with BT paired and usually plugging in to CarPlay, and haven't had any more drops. I was going to unpair my phone because it takes a second for it to switch over from BT to CarPlay.

It may also depend on your phone. The phone drives 90% of the CarPlay interface via a sort of external display. I have an 8 Plus FWIW, older phones may be a little less performant (my 6S was).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I got an OEM cable from Apple.com and that has helped tremendously. I still get the occasional dropout though. I'm not paired with bluetooth.

How would I check to see if I have the latest firmware? I bought used and don't know if it's been updated at all since the car was purchased in 2016.

Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the latest software update done at the dealership during an oil change on my '16 EX several weeks ago. No more drops, no more radio station presets disappearing and the phone seems to interact with the head unit much faster when plugged in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the latest software update done at the dealership during an oil change on my '16 EX several weeks ago. No more drops, no more radio station presets disappearing and the phone seems to interact with the head unit much faster when plugged in.
I'm scheduled for tomorrow. I can't wait. My issues have been daily since IOS 14

Thanks for the replies. I got an OEM cable from Apple.com and that has helped tremendously. I still get the occasional dropout though. I'm not paired with bluetooth.

How would I check to see if I have the latest firmware? I bought used and don't know if it's been updated at all since the car was purchased in 2016.

Thanks!
Steve
Trust me, you need to update. I would call your dealer. My advised that it's a free service despite other claims here. My car is a 2016 and has been serviced by the dealer multiple times, they never even looked for the update despite claims I was having issues with the system. You have to be proactive. Part of their job is to ensure all bulletins and updates are installed with any service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 owner here. Purchased new in December of 2015. Used CarPlay for years without issue. Only in the last two years did something happen with iOS that started causing issues with my infotainment system: disconnected carplay, audio freeze, total head unit crash, both screens crash, restart car did nothing, had to pull a fuse, now carplay with navigation freezes randomly when you need directions most, crashing the whole system. It really made the car dangerous to drive.

I'm a software dev and have been troubleshooting this for months. Resetting every option in the phone and in the car, uninstalling every app one at a time, new cables, even a new phone. Nothing seems to help permanently.

I came across TSB 16-059 which is a software update for the head unit. My local dealer just did the update for me out of warranty $40 (1/3 of an hr of service). I confirmed that the version number on my System - Detailed Info page has increased. I will report back if stability has increased with CarPlay over the next few weeks.

Here's hoping it helps, I really loved this car for the first few years and now I hate it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Overall they are great cars but it seems Honda dropped the ball with the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 owner here. Purchased new in December of 2015. Used CarPlay for years without issue. Only in the last two years did something happen with iOS that started causing issues with my infotainment system: disconnected carplay, audio freeze, total head unit crash, both screens crash, restart car did nothing, had to pull a fuse, now carplay with navigation freezes randomly when you need directions most, crashing the whole system. It really made the car dangerous to drive.

I'm a software dev and have been troubleshooting this for months. Resetting every option in the phone and in the car, uninstalling every app one at a time, new cables, even a new phone. Nothing seems to help permanently.

I came across TSB 16-059 which is a software update for the head unit. My local dealer just did the update for me out of warranty $40 (1/3 of an hr of service). I confirmed that the version number on my System - Detailed Info page has increased. I will report back if stability has increased with CarPlay over the next few weeks.

Here's hoping it helps, I really loved this car for the first few years and now I hate it.
What is the audio software version was loaded by the dealer ?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hey, So How is it going after the update by far ?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Did it work? Do you think it will work on my 17 EX-L W/O nav?
O do not know if it will fox you carplay issues, most likely not. The reason I say that and I've said that before. Os incompatibility play a big factor here as well as new os on iPhones. The unit runs on really old Android 4.4.2 , while phones are obviously are more modern, faster and have lots more features than they used to comparing to those times of 15-17.

I believe that apple changed the way it handles data on their new devices vs old.

Find an old iPhone circa 2014-2017 and see if that will give you better results. Problem may be is that some apps would not work on those phones or they will not be available for download anymore due to old os being outdated.

I had to update os on my headunit for totally different reasons. I do not use apple phone nor Android auto.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 14.5.1 and it works fine most of the time with this car. Every now and then it freaks out but unplugging it and plugging it back in usually fixes the issue. On rare occasions I have to turn the car off and on or restart the phone.

I had the update applied a few years ago and it fixed the headend crashes, missing artwork, etc that it said it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is the audio software version was loaded by the dealer ?
Before 16-059:
Android Version: 4.2.2​
Model Type: QY5111HA​
MASTER version: 9XAI9226​
A15 version: 2260​
SH4A version: 0830​
SH2A version: 0781​
Touch Panel Config Version: A.008​

After 16-059:
MASTER version: 9XAI9257
A15 version: 2570
SH4A version: 1040
SH2A version: 0911

Sorry for my delay in responding but I haven't had a chance to drive the car much since getting the update done. Memorial day weekend was the exception, my first time taking long trips.

Sadly, the update appears to NOT have helped my CarPlay crashing issues.

While using Google Maps navigation, with the map visible, and the audio cues enabled, the head unit froze and eventually crashed multiple times on an hour long drive.

I've heard anecdotally that if you do not have the map visible, and/or if you turn off the navigation audio cues that then it does not freeze. I plan to test this out on future drives.

@mr_blues

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Before 16-059:
Android Version: 4.2.2​
Model Type: QY5111HA​
MASTERS version: 9XAI9226​
A15 version: 2260​
SH4A version: 0830​
SH2A version: 0781​

After 16-059:
MASTER version: 9XAI9257
A15 version: 2570
SH4A version: 1040
SH2A version: 0911

Sorry for my delay in responding but I haven't had a chance to drive the car much since getting the update done. Memorial day weekend was the exception, my first time taking long trips.

Sadly, the update appears to NOT have helped my CarPlay crashing issues.

While using Google Maps navigation, with the map visible, and the audio cues enabled, the head unit froze and eventually crashed multiple times on an hour long drive.

I've heard anecdotally that if you do not have the map visible, and/or if you turn off the navigation audio cues that then it does not freeze. I plan to test this out on future drives.

@mr_blues

Thanks for the update, this confirm that there is no newer version released since that tsb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW, I gave up. Purchased a small android 8.1 based PALM PVG100 phone. It's really small, just 3 inches and perfectly fits the compartment. Connected it on a permanent basis to the head unit and forgot about the Carplay problem. Android auto does not freeze the HU. It even has it's benefit : any navigation app shows the direction on the top display as in the build in maps. So, recommend the solution as a workaround.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have issues with CarPlay freezing as well on my '16 4D Touring... thinking of wiring the HU power to a switch and putting it where the TPMS calibration button usually is (blank plastic trim piece on my car):

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
BTW, I gave up. Purchased a small android 8.1 based PALM PVG100 phone. It's really small, just 3 inches and perfectly fits the compartment. Connected it on a permanent basis to the head unit and forgot about the Carplay problem. Android auto does not freeze the HU. It even has it's benefit : any navigation app shows the direction on the top display as in the build in maps. So, recommend the solution as a workaround.
You mean that somehow you got the map to display on top most display or you mean it shows on audios main display which is lower and at the height of gear shift lever?

I always found the Android auto clunky and never used it much, I even went as far as disabling it in several places of the vehicles audio unit and disabled on the phone as well.
Today after work on the way home I decided to mess around with it, reenabled everything and started the app. The first time setup is very clunky process especially when it gets to permissions, and that seems to be the only setup part of the whole thing really.
Anyway, what I wanted to share was this: Google maps did not freeze, but it stopped updating the current location as I drove, Waze worked ok. The streaming music was goofy as it only played out of drivers speaker, which was not something that I was interested in at the time of this test. I grabbed the phone while maps was active and I force stopped the maps app on the phone without disconnecting the USB cable and it restarted within a second and started working as it should. Going to disable AA again as I am not planning on using it at all and will be swapping gps audio unit back into it ( a whole separate story).
I know Android auto and carplay are different, but are you able to do same thing with iPhones, force stop the app and see if it starts to work as it should?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have issues with CarPlay freezing as well on my '16 4D Touring... thinking of wiring the HU power to a switch and putting it where the TPMS calibration button usually is (blank plastic trim piece on my car):
Interesting. This way you could power the HU off and on as like a reset rather than stopping the car and turning the engine off and back on? I was wondering if there was a power button already for our HU but the one on the radio itself doesn’t seem to work like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting. This way you could power the HU off and on as like a reset rather than stopping the car and turning the engine off and back on? I was wondering if there was a power button already for our HU but the one on the radio itself doesn’t seem to work like that.

Yes, exactly! I already wired my HU turn-on to a custom circuit so that it stays on, like the windows, for 10 min or until one of the front doors is opened after I shut the car off. So, for me, I luckily shouldn't have to go digging too deep into the center dash for the wiring, as my wire runs from the pictured location above to the HU. Just not sure when I'll find the time to actually do it though! :)

201 - 218 of 218 Posts