Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

This is really dumb of me but one things I was not on top is the transmission fluid until recently I started looking at 100K service things to do. Then I realized that this should be changed every 30K miles. The maintenance minder probably advised me to do so but I always think of any message as regular oil and filter, cabin filter, kind of stuff. I am really worried if I have done significant damage to it already. I feel comfortable working on my car but should I let dealership handle this for multiple fill and drain? Also I plan on changing both the fluid and the filter. Can somebody advise what I should do. Thank you.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you can change oil yourself, this is easier. Drain/fill. Use check-hole bolt for proper filling level. If you want to do it a few times, that's fine. It takes about 3.7 quarts, IIRC. It's much easier than MOST transmission fluid changes!

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering I havent done it in so long would you still recommend me do it? I am not more worried about DIY but should I let somebody else do it as I have waited so long. Maybe 3 times drain and fill? Would only end up costing #150 for 12 quarts of fluid.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
If you don't feel confident in DIY, bring it to the dealership.
Having to have the car level complicates things if you don't have 4 jack stands, or can do everything from above, which is also difficult if you've never done it and aren't sure of your self.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don't feel confident in DIY, bring it to the dealership.
Having to have the car level complicates things if you don't have 4 jack stands, or can do everything from above, which is also difficult if you've never done it and aren't sure of your self.
Thanks for the reply. I have a very flat garage floor and four jackstands. I can raise it up on all floor and keep it fairly level. Also very confident of the DIY. But the main quesition I am wondering is should I do the drain and feel 3 times with 100 miles in between or should I let the Honda dealership do the "fluid exchange" where they said they will pump out all the 9 Qts or so and and put new one in. Sounded more like a flush which I have read is bad especially if you have a TM which hasnt been serviced for this long.

·
Registered
546 Posts
You dont need 4 jack stands or a lift....just jack up the front passenger side enough to get under there, pull the plug with your drain pain underneath, let the car back down off the jack and let it drain for 10 minutes or 2 hours, whichever you choose. Jack the front passenger side back up, tighten the drain plug, add your ATF from the engine bay and youre all done. No jack stand required.

And you will be fine, you did not damage your tranny. Unless you've been pulling a trailer with your Accord or you regularly use your car to drive up and down mountains, you should be completely fine man. Like you said, the maintenance minder shows code 3 when its ATF change, and the MM is conservative.
The 30k miles between changes ended in 2007...and even at that time when that was their recommendation, it was 60k for the first and 30k after that. Its never, ever, ever been change your ATF after your first 30k miles.

I changed my i4 at 95k....and my AT V6 at 126k. My V6 feels smooth as butter. and i4 likewise but that ones been gone for 8 years now. And it had a good mix of many highway and city stop'n'go miles everyday.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
494 Posts
Just do a 3x drain and fill which is good enough.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I’d just take it to the dealer do the 3x drain and fill (shop around, of course), then do the next one much sooner (like @150k or 160k).

·
8th Gen Believer
4,270 Posts
I'd NEVER take it to a dealer. I worked for a dealer. Ultra last resort. They will upsell you with bulls__t you don't need, take all day, and then you can't be sure they did the right thing. Besides you need about 25 miles between D&F. Dealer won't do that. I still use Honda DW1 fluid. 'Scuze me if I'm riotously anti-dealer but I've seen too much downright thievery and have caught more than three dealers trying to work me over. DIY!!!

Reactions: Honda2014

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You dont need 4 jack stands or a lift....just jack up the front passenger side enough to get under there, pull the plug with your drain pain underneath, let the car back down off the jack and let it drain for 10 minutes or 2 hours, whichever you choose. Jack the front passenger side back up, tighten the drain plug, add your ATF from the engine bay and youre all done. No jack stand required.

And you will be fine, you did not damage your tranny. Unless you've been pulling a trailer with your Accord or you regularly use your car to drive up and down mountains, you should be completely fine man. Like you said, the maintenance minder shows code 3 when its ATF change, and the MM is conservative.
Are you saying get under the car while it's supported by the jack only?

·
Turbo lag
1,819 Posts
You should team up with scotty kilmer and tempt fate together.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,322 Posts
Risk acceptability varies.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'd NEVER take it to a dealer. I worked for a dealer. Ultra last resort. They will upsell you with bulls__t you don't need, take all day, and then you can't be sure they did the right thing. Besides you need about 25 miles between D&F. Dealer won't do that. I still use Honda DW1 fluid. 'Scuze me if I'm riotously anti-dealer but I've seen too much downright thievery and have caught more than three dealers trying to work me over. DIY!!!
Obviously I don’t mean any dealer, much like just going to any indie shop. Statistically, you’re probably right. Dealer squeeze more outta people simply because of the higher overhead, which I’m sure you know of. That is not to say the upselling BS doesn’t happen with independent shop, just less so on average.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Are you saying get under the car while it's supported by the jack only?
You can yes, absolutely I've done 100 times without any shadow of a problem. But if you want you can just slide a single jack stand under the frame right next to the jack, the car couldnt fall then. Only one jack stand needed for safety.
Get out from under the car, take out the jack stand/jack, let it drain, prop back up, ...you know the rest. Takes 30 seconds to raise/lower car.

The only way that can go wrong is if you are using your jack on gravel, but it would slip before you even got the car raised up if the surface was bad.

...and I'm assuming you're not using the scissor jack in your spare tire well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is my first post and I am really excited to see so many people trying to help and motivate me to do the DIY. I am definitely comfortable as I have done spark plugs, front brakes, oil change, coolant drain and fill, etc. Following are the steps I am planning to do:

Parts:
  1. Buy 8/12 quarts of HCF2 coolant straight from Honda - $13 per quart, Total - 156
  2. Buy one brand new transmission fluid filter with O rings to install after the first two drain and fill. Total - $29.86
  3. Already got drip pan for collecting old fluid and funnel to put new one back in.
  4. Have a hydraulic jack and jack stands already.
Procedure:
  1. Jack the car on four jackstands on Garage floor(Very level)
  2. Loosen the drain bolt and let the car drain for an hour. I will remove the top fill cap after loosening the drain bolt to speed the drain.
  3. Tighten the drain bolt again to spec(36 ft lb)
  4. Measure and fill the same fluid back in the transmission from top.
  5. Check for level by loosening the check bolt to see if it drips slowly. Tighten back to 15 ft lb.
  6. Run the car for 100 miles and repeat the same procedure above.
  7. Run the car for another 100 miles and repeat the same procedure in addition to changing the transmission fluid.
  8. Hopefully that will take care of cleaning the old by > 80%.
All,

Please let me know of any tips that you would recommend. Thank you all again for so much support!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts