Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have 17 Accord (my very first Honda vehicle) and for some time there are few things that bothering me still.

1. I want to add lane watch camera to the left side mirror
2. I want to get bigger Windshield Washing Fluid Reservoir
3. Headlights Condensation

I'll start with the second problem first: The Canadian version of the Accord has a larger tank as well as a low fluid sensor added ( feature I never had until my 2003 Camry, which at first I thought was quite an annoyance as the fluid got low and it would light up and blink and strobe like a disco when driving because the fluid splashes around in the tank driving low level sensor nuts ). The Canadian model reservoir can be obtained fairly easily and fast at about $30. I want to know if the mounting point are the same as on the Us model, which has only a 2.5 liter tank vs about 4.5 liters for the folks on the other side of the border.
Any Canadian owners can provide a view of reservoir mounting points?

Third problem seems to be quite common as I remember reading about it here at the end of last year. I first noticed the issue in colder weather when temperatures began to drop and a drive about 40 minuted on freeway. I think there might be a problem how the original bulbs sat in the sockets from the factory. (Not really on the front burner right now)

Now the interesting topic, Problem # 1:

Lanewatch

I want a camera on in the left mirror to display image just like the right camera. I would like to know how it works through the audio, it is just a matter of positive contact being activated that turns of the camera or ground one, or the power is connected at all times to the camera and it is just a matter of triggering input mode and projecting it onto display? Is it an analog or digital video signal?

What is the audio pinout on the plugs on the back of the Clarion unit, as I have seen info that varies from one source to another. How to apply power to the head unit one it is out of the vehicle?

Thank you

· Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have 17 Accord (my very first Honda vehicle) and for some time there are few things that bothering me still.

1. I want to add lane watch camera to the left side mirror
2. I want to get bigger Windshield Washing Fluid Reservoir
3. Headlights Condensation

I'll start with the second problem first: The Canadian version of the Accord has a larger tank as well as a low fluid sensor added ( feature I never had until my 2003 Camry, which at first I thought was quite an annoyance as the fluid got low and it would light up and blink and strobe like a disco when driving because the fluid splashes around in the tank driving low level sensor nuts ). The Canadian model reservoir can be obtained fairly easily and fast at about $30. I want to know if the mounting point are the same as on the Us model, which has only a 2.5 liter tank vs about 4.5 liters for the folks on the other side of the border.
Any Canadian owners can provide a view of reservoir mounting points?

Third problem seems to be quite common as I remember reading about it here at the end of last year. I first noticed the issue in colder weather when temperatures began to drop and a drive about 40 minuted on freeway. I think there might be a problem how the original bulbs sat in the sockets from the factory. (Not really on the front burner right now)

Now the interesting topic, Problem # 1:

Lanewatch

I want a camera on in the left mirror to display image just like the right camera. I would like to know how it works through the audio, it is just a matter of positive contact being activated that turns of the camera or ground one, or the power is connected at all times to the camera and it is just a matter of triggering input mode and projecting it onto display? Is it an analog or digital video signal?

What is the audio pinout on the plugs on the back of the Clarion unit, as I have seen info that varies from one source to another. How to apply power to the head unit one it is out of the vehicle?

Thank you
Why would you want to be looking to the right (dash panel screen) to see what's on left side of the car? Not only is that ridiculous, it's dangerous. Just use the mirror on the left side, it will show you any and everything a camera would.

As far as issue #2, why not just carry a jug of the blue stuff in the trunk? And/Or just add fluid to the bottle on a routine basis?

· Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you want to be looking to the right (dash panel screen) to see what's on left side of the car? Not only is that ridiculous, it's dangerous. Just use the mirror on the left side, it will show you any and everything a camera would.

As far as issue #2, why not just carry a jug of the blue stuff in the trunk? And/Or just add fluid to the bottle on a routine basis?
It is much easier to take a quick look straight forward and slightly to the center than turning head to the left, besides there will be much wider angle of view through the camera than a mirror, at least for me. I have the mirrors adjusted properly, however nowadays since people drive like a bat out of hell with their phones in their hands or as if they have eight more lives left in them or maybe I'm just getting old. It is something I want to try for myself and whether it works or not, but I will not tolerate someone bashing the idea right off the bet without having tried first nor providing substantial evidence of why it is a bad idea. Your personal opinion is just that, what is it based upon? Give me something to justify it, don't just shut it don't because you either don't like it or think it is stupid, do explain.
The matter of fact is that I am not here to get into pissing contest with those who oppose the idea of having a left mirror with the camera as it it is an idea I want to try and maybe someone else would like that as well. There are other vehicle manufacturers that have that technology implemented and you don't hear those drivers scream how stupid of an idea that is.
I came here for information from people who have done it before and/or those who can explain how it works through the factory head unit and those who can help me with a pinout of the connectors.

· Registered
3,166 Posts
That Lane Watch camera has so many benefits. It's a nice feature to have for merges on city highways with high speed bumper to bumper traffic. Also, it comes in handy when you passenger is blocking your view of the mirror. My daughter is always reaching into her bag for her laptop. It would be nice for the left side but I can see why it's not offered and being fazed out for the right side anyway in favor of BSM. Maybe one of those 360 cameras in addition to BSM would be a solution.

· Registered
295 Posts
BSM will be better, thats what I had in my Hyundai Sonata - at time it came too soon but if the light blink means no go but I love the camera option in Honda and I now put the left mirror to to extreme left ( takes used to ) but its recommended so you can take care of blind spot

https://www.ralphs.ca/blind-spot-systems/

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Code:
BSM will be better, thats what I had in my Hyundai Sonata - at time it came too soon but if the light blink means no go but I love the camera option in Honda and I now put the left mirror to to extreme left ( takes used to ) but its recommended so you can take care of blind spot

https://www.ralphs.ca/blind-spot-systems/
I would like a thing to replace the inside rearview mirror with a display and a bsm or just a rear view camera.
Pretty sure I would not like the bill for it though. :|

· Registered
1,022 Posts
BMW 7-Series, Range Rover, Acura MDX and others have 360-degree surround cameras with 24/7 recording options. Interestingly, they all still have a regular interior rear view mirror since all jurisdictions require a minimum of 2 rear viewing mirrors (yes, vehicle legal requirements will need to be changed and re-worded to allow replacement of mirrors with cameras).

I’m still curious to see how those surround camera systems hold up over the next few years with normal use in summer heat and sun, winter cold and regular road use. It’s usually summer sun/heat that kills most dash cams over time but I don’t know where the surround cameras are located on any of these 2018 vehicles offering them. And admittedly it’s usually the battery or capacitor that dies on a dash cam, so not an issue with factory installed cameras.

· Registered
3,109 Posts
Let me ask slightly different questions, aside from discussions of the value added by having a left-side Lane Watch (LW) camera, usefulness of a LW camera vs BSM, personal preferences, etc, etc...

• Where would you actually get a mirror with a LW camera for the left side of your Accord? Are you thinking of getting one from the UK where they drive on the other side of the road, assuming Honda installs LW cameras on right-hand drive Accords?

• How would you wire that camera into the signal lights so it comes on with the left-turn signal?

• How would you input that left-side video into the HU? Is there a simple plug on back of the HU to connect the LW camera or is that connection built into some wiring harness and/or coded in the HU software?

• How would you calibrate/aim a left-side LW camera, as is required for the right-hand LW camera?

· Premium Member
1,959 Posts
It is much easier to take a quick look straight forward and slightly to the center than turning head to the left, besides there will be much wider angle of view through the camera than a mirror, at least for me. I have the mirrors adjusted properly, however nowadays since people drive like a bat out of hell with their phones in their hands or as if they have eight more lives left in them or maybe I'm just getting old. It is something I want to try for myself and whether it works or not, but I will not tolerate someone bashing the idea right off the bet without having tried first nor providing substantial evidence of why it is a bad idea. Your personal opinion is just that, what is it based upon? Give me something to justify it, don't just shut it don't because you either don't like it or think it is stupid, do explain.
The matter of fact is that I am not here to get into pissing contest with those who oppose the idea of having a left mirror with the camera as it it is an idea I want to try and maybe someone else would like that as well. There are other vehicle manufacturers that have that technology implemented and you don't hear those drivers scream how stupid of an idea that is.
I came here for information from people who have done it before and/or those who can explain how it works through the factory head unit and those who can help me with a pinout of the connectors.
You want reasons. I gave you a reason. It is dangerous. You want to look right to see what's going on to the left.

Harder to move your eyes to the left to see the mirror than it is to move to the right to see the screen? Really? Doesn't even take any neck muscles, just move your eyes. And the screen is as far to the right as the mirror is to the left. By looking right to see the screen you see nothing but what the camera shows you and you are entirely moving your attention in the wrong direction. By looking left you see what the mirror shows you and what is out there beyond the mirror. Or *gasp!*, you could turn your head and look even farther to your left.

So, knock yourself out and make something work. You'll be the first to do it and everyone can profit from your experience.

You came here asking for input. I offered some input. It is a bad idea because it would create a dangerous environment. Do you wonder why no auto manufacturer offers a left side camera?

If you insist on having one, buy a mirror from Japan or another right hand drive country and figure out how to wire it into your car. There are also commercially available cameras that can be stuck to either side or the rear of your car. How you'd wire it into the car's systems I wouldn't even want to guess.

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Do you wonder why no auto manufacturer offers a left side camera?
I'm sure they consider it an unnecessary expense since you have a mirror and blind spot on the left is not an issue like blind spot on the right. Also, you should be able to turn your head. :yes:

But @ the OP, it is your car, your money. Go, stimulate the economy.
Let us know how you like what you do to it. :thmsup:

· Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me ask slightly different questions, aside from discussions of the value added by having a left-side Lane Watch (LW) camera, usefulness of a LW camera vs BSM, personal preferences, etc, etc...

• Where would you actually get a mirror with a LW camera for the left side of your Accord? Are you thinking of getting one from the UK where they drive on the other side of the road, assuming Honda installs LW cameras on right-hand drive Accords?

• How would you wire that camera into the signal lights so it comes on with the left-turn signal?

• How would you input that left-side video into the HU? Is there a simple plug on back of the HU to connect the LW camera or is that connection built into some wiring harness and/or coded in the HU software?

• How would you calibrate/aim a left-side LW camera, as is required for the right-hand LW camera?
Well, those are the questions I am looking for an answer to. In reality the biggest one out all of those is the camera part connection. And yes, I have already bought the mirror from the right hand drive country.

· Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Somehow my earlier reply did not get posted.

I have seen that video before and thought of the same method, but only as the last resort. Personally I find it that the blind spot on the left is more dangerous than right. I am right handed and people from what I've read are right eye dominant as well, to me the center console display is right at my field of view when I'm looking straight ahead, left mirror glance requires some movement of the head or the eyes. Ever find yourself getting into the vehicle and noticing that mirrors or seat needs to be adjusted due to you wearing a sweatshirt or different shoes to make yourself more comfortable?
Some vehicles did not even had right mirror right from the factory, but that was couple decades ago. In my state vehicle is not required to have mirror on the right hand side vehicle as long as there is a left one and the interior one is installed is what i remember from reading the revised code a while ago. But that is not the point here.
I came here for help to make it work and not to be bashed on and discouraged away from it.
Besides that, there are other things Id like to get input on upgrade to a bigger washing fluid reservoir, and possible low fluid sensor install.
I would also love to have the temperature displayed in Celcius instead of Fahrenheit and want to know if it is doable and how, what is responsible for the units, whether it is the sensor (unlikely), the head unit, or the onboard computer that is tied into the mileage instead of kilometers reading.

· Registered
782 Posts
The whole argument about looking forward while moving left is stupid

It's a glance, not a movie. I think people who are so rigid in their thinking, can't chew gum and type at the same time.

I'll miss the right side camera. When I get a.new car, and I too wish I had one on the left.

· Registered
3,109 Posts
Well, those are the questions I am looking for an answer to. In reality the biggest one out all of those is the camera part connection. And yes, I have already bought the mirror from the right hand drive country.
Well, when you get those answers, post them here for the rest of us... :devil

EDIT: The manual for my '16 EX says: "Shows the outside temperature in Fahrenheit (U.S.) or Celsius (Canada)". So you'd have to find some way to hack Honda's software to switch a US vehicle from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

· Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, when you get those answers, post them here for the rest of us... :devil

EDIT: The manual for my '16 EX says: "Shows the outside temperature in Fahrenheit (U.S.) or Celsius (Canada)". So you'd have to find some way to hack Honda's software to switch a US vehicle from Fahrenheit to Celsius.
Most likely the temp is going through the audio unit as Canadian has different part number.

As for the mirror, everything is easy except for the camera activation part, I don't think that it is a digital signal coming out of it into head unit. Calibration part is really not for the camera, but rather the guide lines. The purpose of this is not to replace left mirror with camera, but rather add more blind spot coverage for quick peak. I don't understand why that whole concept set bunch of pants on fire.

Same goes for larger reservoir, winters in Ohio and some road conditions during winter times is not the times I want to run out of fluid and/or keep on adding it every other 2 days. Why should I carry the galon jug of fluid in my trunk as refil for later when I can have planty of it under the hood filled and ready to be used.

No offense, but some of the responses received makes me not want to share the results once things completed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.