Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving home from work today while on the highway driving all the honda sensing lights came on and the car shut-off. I pulled over to the side of the road. The car will crank but it won't start. After it cranks it shows "Collision Mitigation System Problem" and all the Honda sensing lights come on but no check engine light. Was thinking it was gonna be a fuse or relay but it wasnt safe to troubleshoot on the side of the highway so I had it towed home. I can hear the fuel pump priming for 2 seconds. The voltage on the battery is fine. Cant find any bad fuses or relays. Never had any issue with this vehicle. 120k miles, 35k of those from me. I've done alot of googling and searching and I'm not seeing this as a common problem at all. Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I saw that as well from the googling I was doing. It turns out the timing belt snapped haven't had a chance to check valves yet. I had just replaced it 20k miles ago.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Wait, your timing belt snapped at 120000 miles?
You were cranking the engine, possibly resulting in belt valves and what not other side effects that may be as a result.

What did you replace 20000 miles ago?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Timing belt, water pump, Tensioner, etc. was replaced around 105 when the maintenance minder said it was due. Used all honda parts, I've done that service atleast 5 times on these engines with no issues in the past. Haven't dug into it yet to see if I can figure out why it failed. Haven't stuck a boroscope down to check how much it damaged but as of know pretty much just planning on swapping the engine. My experience is you can usually get a low mileage used engine for less then the rebuild cost.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,236 Posts
You could have had a tensioner fail. It's not uncommon for the tensioner to fail early. It's the weakest link in the whole timing system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts