Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Been lurking here for several years actually but never had reason to post until now. I've had numerous Honda/Acura products over the years and now I've got a 17 Accord Sedan Touring with about 13k miles. The past 3000 miles or so, I've noticed a scraping noise coming from the brakes when just slow coasting down a street without touching the brake pedal. It sounds like something is scraping the rotor at a certain spot. I've taken it to 2 Honda dealers and after keeping me waiting for hours, they both came back with the same diagnosis - the dreaded "it's normal sound". The 1st dealer reseated the brake pads (which made the sound worse), and the 2nd dealer actually resurfaced the rotors which didn't help very much if at all. Both dealers tell me that the pads are nowhere near worn. I'm being told that Honda kinda "pre-loads" the rear pads now and this keeps a very miniscule distance between the pad and the rotor, which makes the scraping sound normal occurrence. I think they are both full of crap but before I go on a rampage with their management, I figured I'd check if anyone here has any info on this supposed normal occurrence. The way I see it, how can a manufacturer make claims that weird noises are "normal"? This is almost the same as them saying the infamous rear-deck subwoofer rattle is normal. Dont tell me it's normal - FIX IT...
-rant over-

Both Honda dealers claim all the brake components are in proper placement and they just resurfaced the rotors so couldn't be material on them. And it makes the sound with the wheel removed. They even "roughed" the pads with fine sandpaper before re-installation. All this led them to give me the "normal operation" BS answer. The brakes appear to be operating completely fine otherwise - the sound is just driving me crazy. No "newish" vehicle should make this sound.

I just started a new thread about this same issue coming from rear of my 17 Touring. I hadn't read this thread since I didn't think it was the same issue, but now I'm wondering if it could be the wheels. I have noticed that I get a weird rattle when driving over cobble-stone/really bumpy streets at low speeds. I thought it was coming from some panel bouncing against the suspension but now I'm wondering about the rims. Both dealerships I went to for this issue swore to me that they removed the tire and spun the rotor and still heard the noise but they may have been BS'ing me. Now I wanna jack up the car myself and spin it with the tire and without to confirm. I will report back with my findings..

·
Super Moderator
12,945 Posts
Could be pad material deposits stuck to one or more rotors....

Could be a caliper slider clip slightly out of alignment....

Maybe even a badly torqued (out of proper sequence) or over torqued set of lug nuts...

And the common "dust shield" bent slightly out of place.

Do you ever brake hard then sit parked at the end of an off ramp with your foot on the brake pedal?

Easy to diagnose and fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar sound coming from the front driver side wheel. I'd describe it more as a rubber-on-rubber sound that happens at the same place in each rotation of the wheel. Only noticeable at very low speeds with the window down. I have had it checked out twice but they have found nothing out of sorts. The last visit they lubricated the CV boot and it sounded better for a couple days, but then returned. The sound has not followed the actual wheel, as I have had the tires rotated a couple times and it has not followed the wheel to the new location. It's terribly annoying to me. Keep us all up to date, as will I, if they finally diagnose and fix it.

2017 Accord Touring V6 btw.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thought I'd post an update to this in case anyone encounters a similiar issue.

So I took it upon myself to pull both back wheels with the intention of removing the calipers because I suspected the issue might be with the spindles. But it was easy to tell what was happening without removing the calipers. BOTH my rear rotors were warped, which I could definitely feel in the brake pedal and seat when slowing down from highway speeds but NOT thru the steering wheel. By spinning the rotors with the wheels off, I could clearly see the pads where contacting the rotors at certain points in the rotation. Since the car had been sitting for a couple of days and it had rained, I could also clearly see rust spots on the rotors where the pads were not contacting them. On the driver's side, it was catching the rotors enough to actually stop the rotation. On the passenger side, the rotor spun freely but u could hear the scraping at certain spots during the rotation. So I recorded videos of both sides and headed back to the dealer. In my opinion, no reason why rotors should be warped at 12-13k miles, especially the REAR. I've had at least 8 Honda/Acura products during my lifetime and with the exception of my 1994 Civic, they ALL had issues with warped FRONT rotors - it's a known Honda issue. But 12k miles was a new record and the fronts still seem fine (my 14 Accord Sport was the best of all Hondas I ever owned - 20-25k miles before even a hint of rotor warpage). Of course, the day I went to the dealer it was raining, which somewhat squelched the noise, but my videos were indisputable. They ran the same chorus line about it being a normal issue for Hondas, but in the end, they agreed to re-surface both rear rotors for free. That should get me another 10k miles and then I'll look into upgrading the rotors.

1 thing the Honda dealer mentioned which I thought was interesting (or it might be BS). According to them, starting with 2016 Accords, Honda tweaked the rear brake assemblies to actually kinda pre-load the brakes. The pads actually stay in slight constant contact with the rotors. When I had the rear tires off, I did find it a bit strange that there was absolutely NO space between the pads and the rotors. For this reason, Honda claims the rear brakes will ALWAYS make a bit of scraping noise since the pad is actually constantly rubbing the rotor. The tech showed my a few other Accords in the garage (Sports, which have same brakes as the Touring) and they all made noise when spinning the rear tires. Mine was making intermittent noise because the rotors were warped.

So in short, my rear brakes STILL make some noise, but it's pretty consistent throughout the wheel rotation. We'll see how long it lasts.

Edit - in my original post, I stated that the 2nd dealer resurfaced the rear rotors. The 1st dealer checked the records and found that the 2nd dealer replaced the rear pads but didn't resurface the rotors. So either I heard them wrong or they flat-out lied.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,655 Posts
Perhaps go with a ceramic or hybrid brake pad (which shouldn't leave a lot of deposit like a conventional pad) and see if the sound persists or goes away. If it's just the rotors warping, a ceramic pad would probably help. But if it's the "pre-loading" you might still hear it. Though I don't know if that's true. The rotors would get super hot if they were in contact all the time, wouldn't they?

·
Registered
476 Posts
The 2016-2017- Sport and Touring brake pads are mad by Akebono and are Ceramic from the factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said, the pads are BARELY touching the rotor. Not really enough to keep the rotor from spinning freely, but enough to make the noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I updated in other thread and putting info here as well. I had same issue in 2017 Accord Touring and dealer told me the same about rotor rubbing with brake pads. They even showed me that even without the wheel mounted, it was making the same noise. And it seems Honda is aware of this but there is no solution offered. I sent an email to Honda, will update if/when i hear from Honda.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same sound from my drivers front wheel. Don’t feel and pulsing like the rotor is warped. 2017, V6 Touring, 13k on the odo. Dealer said it was the tire and wheel making the noise and the lubricated the bead. Made no difference and rotated tires but the sound stayed up front.

Anyone have any updates. I’ve decided to just live with it, it’s getting nice again, and still sounds like I’m driving a beater down the road with a bad wheel bearing or lockup caliper. Last dealer visit for normal oil change and the tech asked how the noise was, told them still there. He said ya that’s just what happens with big wheels and not much room🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any updates. I’ve decided to just live with it, it’s getting nice again, and still sounds like I’m driving a beater down the road with a bad wheel bearing or lockup caliper. Last dealer visit for normal oil change and the tech asked how the noise was, told them still there. He said ya that’s just what happens with big wheels and not much room🤦‍♂️
Did you take the car to the dealership?
I had the same problem and was persistent. Went away after getting pads sanded and then came back. Mine was actually more of a wheel problem actually. The rim bent after hitting a pothole and slowly over time bent the tire too.
Here's what you should check.
1. Check the Tyre, jack up the car and spin the tire in Neutral gear with your hands. If you hear some sound or grinding, it's probably the brakes or wheel bearing assembly. But if you can't hear anything then look at the tire from the rear and give it a spin to see if there's any abnormality or deformation. Even a slight deformation can cause such notice even though you wouldn't notice any change in driving behavior.
If you see any such thing, better visit you local Tyre shop and get wheel balancing checked? If balance is out its probably the Tyre and/ or rim that needs changing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2017 Touring rear brakes scraping noise

Hi - I have a 2017 Accord Sedan Touring. I've noticed since around 12k miles a cyclic metallic scraping noise coming from the rear brakes. You can only really hear it when slowly coasting down a street. I had taken the car to multiple dealerships for investigation and although they resurfaced the rear rotors (2x), the noise remains. The reasoning I was given is that starting in 2016, Honda has "pre-loaded" the calipers so the pads very slightly touch the rotor in order to facilitate better emergency braking response. They actually told me to crank the radio up so I didn't hear it :( I ended up replacing both front and rear pads and rotors at around 25K miles (fronts were badly warped anyway) with aftermarket parts and the noise went away for a while but it came back at around 34k miles. I've jacked up the rear and spun the wheel and it does catch very slightly at a certain spot. I've been scouring the internet trying to find out it if anyone is experiencing this same issue. I've found a few posts from people who said the tires were causing it, but I find that unlikely and the noise on mine doesn't change when I rotate the tires anyway. Others have said to "clip" the edges of the shims a little.

Anyone on here have any suggestions? The sound is incredibly annoying - but damn I love the car otherwise..

Forgot to mention - I've actually posted on here about this before but I was checking if anyone has any new suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know the new pads came with some clips but I'm not sure what they were called
Figured I'd give an update. I got really sick of the noise, so I got up the courage to tackle it myself (was super-easy BTW) . I ordered a rear brake accessory kit that included new caliper clips and retention spring clips. I took apart the rear caliper and removed the pads. I was able to verify that there was NO noise when spinning the rotor without the caliper attached. This vindicated any type of bearing issue. I noticed that the caliper clips were REALLY dirty and also each rear brake caliper only had 1 retention spring clip. The kit came with 4 of these spring clips which I assume means each side uses 2 clips. The brake pads themselves have little tiny holes for these clips to attach on both ends of the pad. So from what I could tell, the clip was only putting negative tension on 1 end of the pad, so theoretically the other end of the pad could be dragging on the rotor. I replaced the caliper clips and installed 2 new retention clips on both rear calipers, put everything back together and went for a test drive. The noise appeared to be gone almost completely - to the point where I don't think I would notice it if I weren't listening for it. I've put a few hundred miles on the car since then and I still do hear VERY faint scraping but nothing like it was before. I think I should have cleaned more gunk out of the caliper assembly so the pads could move freely back and forth from the rotor - after all, the retention spring clips aren't very strong. In any case, I'm very happy with the results and it only cost me $15 for the brake accessory kit. To anyone else who has this issue, this is definitely something to try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts