Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another catch can thread? Lol

We have, it's the entire VW FSI and TFSI family. To me, they are what made carbon buildup so famous.
I've gone over all this before in another post here. Wasting your breath like these people are wasting their money. Cheers.
Btw your seeing more water condensation because it's winter. I'll bet the op lives in area with snow or moisture. That's the reason why your seeing more in the can now. If you left it stock you would never know because the stock system burns that stuff up. This has been discussed numerous times here and to death in the vw community.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Seems like a dumb question but do you think I should be topping my oil off based upon how much oil is caught by the catch can? I'm tempted to add a pour to make up for what was lost.
As others have said, check your oil at least weekly, that's the best way to gauge any oil loss. The catch can will do what it's supposed to do, regardless.
You may have an engine that has more of this "blow by", could be strictly by design or the way you drive, or both.

I'm still researching these catch cans to see if I'm going to install one or not.

·
Super Clean
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T
27 Posts
Reading this made me just think of this the whole time lol.

·
2003 Accord EX 2.4L/5AT
52 Posts
Holy crap. So I put the Mishimoto oil catch can on about 800 miles ago (at 18,000 miles odometer) and I checked it today and found it a whopping 3/4 of the way full! I can't believe how much oil this thing is picking up. When I poured out the oil from the catch can into a bottle it had some foamy white residue at the bottom.

Am I wrong to feel a little concerned about this? I've seen others who installed a catch can on their 2.0 and they seemed to have very little pickup. Makes me wonder why mine is catching so much.

For what it's worth, I've done a mix of short in-city trips and longer highway trips with the car since installing the catch can. Sometimes I drive the car like a grandma, other times I get on it and give it the 'ol Italian tune up. Not sure what the hell is going on but if my intake was getting coated with that much oil before the catch can it must be dirty af by now. Smh.
OK, first things first. Locatik, location, location. If you live in a cool climate that has winter, I recommend disconnecting your catch can in winter.

Why? CONDENSATION. Short trips will overflow it in no time due to the catch can not warming up and causing a LOT of water build up.

We have a 2016 CR-V and after 5,000km or 3,000 miles in summer I remove about 4MM or 1/8" of oil.

FYI

·
Registered
28 Posts
@caravantomidnight You have an engine, not a motor.
Tell that to all the car companies who have Motor in their names. Ford Motor Company, GM to name two.
Definition of a motor:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Holy crap. So I put the Mishimoto oil catch can on about 800 miles ago (at 18,000 miles odometer) and I checked it today and found it a whopping 3/4 of the way full! I can't believe how much oil this thing is picking up. When I poured out the oil from the catch can into a bottle it had some foamy white residue at the bottom.

Am I wrong to feel a little concerned about this? I've seen others who installed a catch can on their 2.0 and they seemed to have very little pickup. Makes me wonder why mine is catching so much.

For what it's worth, I've done a mix of short in-city trips and longer highway trips with the car since installing the catch can. Sometimes I drive the car like a grandma, other times I get on it and give it the 'ol Italian tune up. Not sure what the hell is going on but if my intake was getting coated with that much oil before the catch can it must be dirty af by now. Smh.
This video may be informative.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts