Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Accord EX 1.5T with 4k miles on it.

After a long drive, I checked the oil (it was normal) but noticed some oil behind the air intake box.

I removed the air intake box and discovered oil pooling on top of the transmission (see attached picture). Oil appears to be leaking from somewhere on the engine, running down, and pooling on the top of the transmission case.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? Have an appointment with the dealer this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 Accord EX 1.5T with 4k miles on it.

After a long drive, I checked the oil (it was normal) but noticed some oil behind the air intake box.

I removed the air intake box and discovered oil pooling on top of the transmission (see attached picture). Oil appears to be leaking from somewhere on the engine, running down, and pooling on the top of the transmission case.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? Have an appointment with the dealer this week.

I ran into a similar issue, where after 4200 miles on the 2018 Accord LX i had a small puddle, about the same as yours, on the right side of the engine.

What did the dealer end up telling you or having you do?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
If the dealer takes a wait and see approach all you can do is monitor the situation. Sometimes these leaks are from assembly and go away but the puddles can stay there for a long time. I would make sure the area is clean and keep an eye on it. On a cold engine run your finger around the valve cover gasket or get one of those auto mirrors. I've had several leaks on several Hondas in the past and the dealer approach was lip service until I would show the mechanic where the leak was coming from. Fortunately in both cases they were valve cover gaskets one of which they never fixed properly so I just lived with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a photo of the leak after about 600 more miles, right behind the air intake on the right upper portion of the engine. I am not sure what that ball shaped item is where the oil is coming from? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
**solved**

The dealer checked it out and the problem was a factory issue. There was no sealant applied on the Camshaft Cover interior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it seems like a minor issue, but learn from my mistakes. When you take your car to the dealer, make sure they type your concerns or issues on the service ticket. Don't take it in for an oil change and they just pencil it in on the service ticket. Make sure everything is documented in the system for any future concerns/problems. We just bought a new Accord because of our current situation with shoddy documentation and problems with our 2012 Camry. Document...Document...Document!!!!

·
Moter Nature Will Evict U
78 Posts
I know it seems like a minor issue, but learn from my mistakes. When you take your car to the dealer, make sure they type your concerns or issues on the service ticket. Don't take it in for an oil change and they just pencil it in on the service ticket. Make sure everything is documented in the system for any future concerns/problems. We just bought a new Accord because of our current situation with shoddy documentation and problems with our 2012 Camry. Document...Document...Document!!!!
Yes, Smart Move - I take a Typed List and I have the Service Righter - Sign an Attach it to the Work Order , I also ask that they Input the List of any Issues as
I described them in My List - this is NOT a She said or a He said ; it is Pain - FACTS !
List the Facts ~ Please ~ . . :angel

Also i have seen 1 other 1.5 have small Oil seepage at the Top Gasket Area .
You May get List of Parts Here - Make Sure You look around and Read the Parts List and - Poop Don't have enough Post Yet !

See It Here :

Find It Here !

Not Yet - OK I'll Keep Plugging the MF

All Most there !

Is this Enough Yet ?

OK anytime Now !

How about Now - Not Yet OMG !

Maybe this Time , Haaa

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2018-honda-accord-4dr_ex-ka-cvt/valve-rocker-arm.html

AnyTime - Now for GOD Sake - Man - OK Finally Took ! Very Good Link for Blue Prints of all the Parts !

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2018-honda-accord-4dr_ex-ka-cvt/valve-rocker-arm.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2018 1.5T needs the rear camshaft seal replaced after 18K miles. Under warranty but :-(
This seems to be an all too common problem with the 1.5T engine. Makes me wonder why the factory is not correcting the problem on the latest models being produced.
I'll watch for this on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is a photo of the leak after about 600 more miles, right behind the air intake on the right upper portion of the engine. I am not sure what that ball shaped item is where the oil is coming from? Any ideas?

I seem to have the same issue, in the same spot, as shown in your picture. Oil isn't as "pooled" with mine, but will need to keep an eye on it none the less. Have just less than 11,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem for me. Attached is a picture with the positive battery terminal for reference. Oil is pooled to the left and right of the black tube. Is this a recall yet?!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fix for my problem was "Cam plate was leaking. Resealed the Cam plate"

Now I am just hoping this was it and the problem doesn't return.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had the oil changed in my Accord at around 5,000 miles. I first noticed the oil near the engine serial number stamped in the block. I mentioned this to the dealer and after further investigation they determined it was the cam seal plate as everyone has mentioned. I’ve attached a few photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the exact same problem on my car...Were you finally be able to have the camshaft cover sealed by the dealer? Thanks for your post!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
bought a 2018 Accord EX and noticed oil stains at the bottom right of the engine. Mileage is 3.3k.

Dealer found camshaft plug leaking. Corrective action: re-seal camshaft cover.

Note: I have seen this oil stains in the 3 different 2018 Accord EX 1.5T that I checked-out to buy. Mileage of these cars range from 3K to 8.8K

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just took my car in for the routine rotation and oil change (still at 40% after nearly 6k) and was told i had a major oil leak that needed addressing ASAP. So theyre keeping it over night.

They didnt really disclose anything yet but i will get all the info tomorrow. I needed to get back to work.

Current mileage: 10464

1 - 20 of 38 Posts