Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Accord EX 1.5T with 4k miles on it.

After a long drive, I checked the oil (it was normal) but noticed some oil behind the air intake box.

I removed the air intake box and discovered oil pooling on top of the transmission (see attached picture). Oil appears to be leaking from somewhere on the engine, running down, and pooling on the top of the transmission case.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? Have an appointment with the dealer this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 Accord EX 1.5T with 4k miles on it.

After a long drive, I checked the oil (it was normal) but noticed some oil behind the air intake box.

I removed the air intake box and discovered oil pooling on top of the transmission (see attached picture). Oil appears to be leaking from somewhere on the engine, running down, and pooling on the top of the transmission case.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? Have an appointment with the dealer this week.

I ran into a similar issue, where after 4200 miles on the 2018 Accord LX i had a small puddle, about the same as yours, on the right side of the engine.

What did the dealer end up telling you or having you do?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
If the dealer takes a wait and see approach all you can do is monitor the situation. Sometimes these leaks are from assembly and go away but the puddles can stay there for a long time. I would make sure the area is clean and keep an eye on it. On a cold engine run your finger around the valve cover gasket or get one of those auto mirrors. I've had several leaks on several Hondas in the past and the dealer approach was lip service until I would show the mechanic where the leak was coming from. Fortunately in both cases they were valve cover gaskets one of which they never fixed properly so I just lived with it.

·
Banned
115 Posts
I was trying to track the source but it is out of your pic. Upper center left is where the oil is coming from. Can you tell where?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a photo of the leak after about 600 more miles, right behind the air intake on the right upper portion of the engine. I am not sure what that ball shaped item is where the oil is coming from? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
REV29K
556 Posts
In another thread someone posted something about how far back under the car the center jack point is, that's not my issue though, when looking under my car to see where the front center jack point is, I instead see some oil leaking from around the oil pan. Not enough to drip on the garage floor, but the oil pan is pretty much covered. I checked my oil level, it appears to be at the full mark so there isn't much being lost in 6,000 miles, just disappointed to see this on my car.

Honda is 2 for 2 with our new cars, my wife's 2017 CR-V also had an oil leak. Don't remember exactly, but I think it was a seal from around the camshaft cover, I'd have to go back and check the service ticket. Haven't had any further issues with the CR-V once corrected by the dealer. Both of our new Honda's were built in North America, never had a problem with any of our previous Honda's, although they were all built in Japan.

Hopefully nothing major but I'll be making an appointment with the dealer to have a look. I'll make sure I'm there when they put my car up on the lift so I can also see for myself where the oil leak is coming from.

Anyone else had a minor oil leak that the dealer corrected?

I'll post pictures and an update next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
**solved**

The dealer checked it out and the problem was a factory issue. There was no sealant applied on the Camshaft Cover interior.

·
REV29K
556 Posts
The dealer checked it out and the problem was a factory issue. There was no sealant applied on the Camshaft Cover interior.
Yep, we had a similar oil leak on our 2017 CR-V 1.5T, I think the fix was the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it seems like a minor issue, but learn from my mistakes. When you take your car to the dealer, make sure they type your concerns or issues on the service ticket. Don't take it in for an oil change and they just pencil it in on the service ticket. Make sure everything is documented in the system for any future concerns/problems. We just bought a new Accord because of our current situation with shoddy documentation and problems with our 2012 Camry. Document...Document...Document!!!!

·
REV29K
556 Posts
Neither of those were the issue that I had.

So yesterday I was able to get the car over to the dealer and onto the lift. The shop foreman showed me the leak was coming form the Timing Chain Tensioner Cover. He explained that sometimes the surfaces that are sealed using Hondabond are too smooth, and the two parts do not remain sealed. The fix is to just remove the cover, clean the Hondabond from the engine and the cover, rough up the surface on the engine, and re-appy new Hondabond.

Took less than an hour for the tech to correct the oil leak. Thankfully the fix was quick and easy.

·
REV29K
556 Posts
My 2018 1.5T needs the rear camshaft seal replaced after 18K miles. Under warranty but :-(
This seems to be an all too common problem with the 1.5T engine. Makes me wonder why the factory is not correcting the problem on the latest models being produced.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 2018 1.5T needs the rear camshaft seal replaced after 18K miles. Under warranty but :-(
This seems to be an all too common problem with the 1.5T engine. Makes me wonder why the factory is not correcting the problem on the latest models being produced.
I'll watch for this on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is a photo of the leak after about 600 more miles, right behind the air intake on the right upper portion of the engine. I am not sure what that ball shaped item is where the oil is coming from? Any ideas?

I seem to have the same issue, in the same spot, as shown in your picture. Oil isn't as "pooled" with mine, but will need to keep an eye on it none the less. Have just less than 11,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem for me. Attached is a picture with the positive battery terminal for reference. Oil is pooled to the left and right of the black tube. Is this a recall yet?!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fix for my problem was "Cam plate was leaking. Resealed the Cam plate"

Now I am just hoping this was it and the problem doesn't return.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just had the oil changed in my Accord at around 5,000 miles. I first noticed the oil near the engine serial number stamped in the block. I mentioned this to the dealer and after further investigation they determined it was the cam seal plate as everyone has mentioned. I’ve attached a few photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the exact same problem on my car...Were you finally be able to have the camshaft cover sealed by the dealer? Thanks for your post!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts