Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is 2.5 years old and 48k miles and my AC starting blowing warm air out on the drivers side vents. This lasted for about 4 weeks until a hissing noise started coming from the middle AC vents and the entire AC system started blowing hot air. The dealership wouldn't honor my limited warranty since I'm over on the mileage. After much resistance and discouragement from other mechanics who advised me they didn't know how to fix whatever the issue was, I was forced to bring the car to the Honda dealership, who was charging me $300 just to DIAGNOSE the issue! Within an hour I received a call from the dealership that my AC condenser was leaking and Honda was extending my AC warranty to 10 years, since they're seeing this issue a lot lately. I would not be responsible for any repairs to my AC! By the end of the day I was driving home in a car with cold AC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad to hear Honda stepped up and took care of you. I had the A/C condenser replaced under warranty on my 2020 Accord (1.5/CVT). Do you know what model years get the 10 yr extended warranty on the condenser?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear Honda stepped up and took care of you. I had the A/C condenser replaced under warranty on my 2020 Accord (1.5/CVT). Do you know what model years get the 10 yr extended warranty on the condenser?
I read that vehicles are getting evaluated on an individual basis. It's not a recall yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 2.0 Touring w/34k on it has AC problem intermittently not cooling starting yesterday and today the dealer looked at it and right away mentioned the warranty extension on the condenser (AC radiator out front of engine cooling radiator) for porus metal failure resulting in loss of refrigerant. Turns out my car has both the condenser and the evaporator leaking! Sound like same problem, likely same supplier but there is no warranty extension on that evaporator part. One must take the whole dash apart to replace that componet so I'm sure $1200+ in cost. While I don't normally buy extended warranties in this case since I was buying the 10th gen right after it went on sale and with so many new systems I did spend money on an extended warranty. They will cover it but are trying to make me go back to the selling dealer, kinda of a scam really. Also, they say must change oil every 5k miles or six months which is nonsense but drives business to the dealer. Anyway, heads up on the cooling problem I suspect the same supplier for both condenser and evaporator so hopefully Honda will get enough complaints to extend the warranty on that part too. Be sure to complain so Honda hears about it, I went to their customer service site and logged a complaint about the dual failure but only 1/2 covered.

·
Registered
30 Posts
techhedge01,

Is your regular three yr warranty up?

These A/C issues are bad and must be costing Honda a fortune. My old 2006 Fusion (4 cyl/5 speed manual) blew nice cold air from day one (purchased new) right through 2018 when I sold it. I really hope my '20 Accord (my first Honda) will be as reliable as that car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 2.0 Touring w/34k on it has AC problem intermittently not cooling starting yesterday and today the dealer looked at it and right away mentioned the warranty extension on the condenser (AC radiator out front of engine cooling radiator) for porus metal failure resulting in loss of refrigerant. Turns out my car has both the condenser and the evaporator leaking! Sound like same problem, likely same supplier but there is no warranty extension on that evaporator part. One must take the whole dash apart to replace that componet so I'm sure $1200+ in cost. While I don't normally buy extended warranties in this case since I was buying the 10th gen right after it went on sale and with so many new systems I did spend money on an extended warranty. They will cover it but are trying to make me go back to the selling dealer, kinda of a scam really. Also, they say must change oil every 5k miles or six months which is nonsense but drives business to the dealer. Anyway, heads up on the cooling problem I suspect the same supplier for both condenser and evaporator so hopefully Honda will get enough complaints to extend the warranty on that part too. Be sure to complain so Honda hears about it, I went to their customer service site and logged a complaint about the dual failure but only 1/2 covered.
Yes, change your oil at 5000 miles or 6 months. The biggest reasons for multiple premature system failures in vehicles we see in my shops is clients extending already stretched out oil change intervals. Modern hard working turbo charged GDI engines need clean oil. It’s cheap insurance to help protect and extend the life of the engine. Is it really the end of the world if you “potentially” over maintain your pride and joy a bit? Oh, and, shops make very little money on oil changes. Do it yourself if you perceive it’s too expensive at the dealer or service centre. Give that Accord a little love! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
2018 HAH Touring
135 Posts
Yikes. not happy about these expensive AC failures after 1-3 years. My 2003 Acura still blew cold in 2021 with only a coolant top off one time years ago. It's hot in Texas. this may be a deal breaker on my keeping this Accord very long.

Reactions: maydeeo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealer confirmed it was the condenser. They will be replacing it under the extended warranty for that part next week. It stinks it went bad so quickly, but I'm glad they did extend the warranty on it and my dealer was upfront about the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dealer confirmed it was the condenser. They will be replacing it under the extended warranty for that part next week. It stinks it went bad so quickly, but I'm glad they did extend the warranty on it and my dealer was upfront about the issue.
I am also seeing the same issue.
thread I started here :
I am still waiting to hear from Honda case manager. He is not picking up my calls.
Is there anyway you can get more information from your dealer ? i would also like to avail this extended warranty.
I am driving around with borken AC for long time now :(

·
2nd Accord
114 Posts
I am also seeing the same issue.
thread I started here :
I am still waiting to hear from Honda case manager. He is not picking up my calls.
Is there anyway you can get more information from your dealer ? i would also like to avail this extended warranty.
I am driving around with borken AC for long time now :(
Go to carcomplaints.com. There you will find a service bulletins for it.

·
Registered
2020 Accord EX-L 1.5T
64 Posts
Letter starts out with: On some 2018-2020 Accord models, the AC condenser may leak refrigerant. …American Honda is extending the AC condenser to 10 years from original date of purchase with unlimited mileage. …goes on to discuss being transferable to subsequent owners, etc

Sorry, first time using a phone to post. Didn’t see the other thread already discussing the AC warranty extension.

moderator, feel free to delete this thread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got same letter yesterday. Does anyone know how to check for leak? Not worth taking to the dealer without proof or good reason that it is actually leaking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue with the A/C on my 2018 Accord Hybrid. Taking it to the dealer on Tuesday and will let you know what I find out.
Did you ever find out what it was? I have the same vehicle and just noticed my air isn't cooling and my 08' Accord has air that could send me into hypothermia if I blast it more than 30 mins.

Got same letter yesterday. Does anyone know how to check for leak? Not worth taking to the dealer without proof or good reason that it is actually leaking.
My AC is barely cold in my 18' Hybrid Accord so I would like to know as well.

Go to carcomplaints.com. There you will find a service bulletins for it.
I just got a letter in the mail about AC condenser on 18 Accords being offered an extended warranty b/c of condenser issues. You may want to let the dealers know this since it should be covered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my letter yesterday for my 2020. I love the car, but this shakes my confidence. Sure, having an extended warranty is good, but now I feel like I have a ticking time bomb. If Honda offered a trade in allowance on a 2021, I'd do it. Fat chance of that, am sure...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts