Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased brand new 2018 accord 1.5t exl from a dealership in PA in late 2018. I financed it for 33k I took care my car meticulously. All service records with the dealership all maintenance intervals. 80,000 miles later the car started to misfire on start up. Took it to the dealership and they found that the antifreeze was leaking into the spark plugs causing the misfire (blown head gasket). Total cost of the repair is $4k and my car was out of warranty. Upon further research through my vin number I discovered my car was assembled in, which explains the quality control issue. I reached out to Honda corporation to see if they would honor the repair and they offered me a 30% discount which I thought was not fair since it’s a factory defect. I decided to trade it in and move on. I’m sure more and more customers will run into this problem. My Car never overheated never missed an oil change, fresh air filter, cvt drain and fill every 30k, I did everything as a loyal Honda car owner would do to take care of his investment and truly believe this is a manufacturing defect.

·
Row 'em
81 Posts
30% off a repair bill on a car with 80,000 miles seems more than fair. That's pretty far out of warranty.

Just because your car was assembled in Mexico is not a legitimate reason to assume it was done improperly. Cars assembled in Mexico are no less reliable than those assembled elsewhere.

Meticulous maintenance does not guarantee that failures won't occur.

There are hundreds of thousands of 1.5T engines out there, and this is maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen anyone report a head gasket issue on this forum.

Failures are rare, but they happen. You were unlucky. Probably best you move on with your life.

·
Turbo lag
2,563 Posts
30% off a repair bill on a car with 80,000 miles seems more than fair. That's pretty far out of warranty.

Just because your car was assembled in Mexico is not a legitimate reason to assume it was done improperly. Cars assembled in Mexico are no less reliable than those assembled elsewhere.

Meticulous maintenance does not guarantee that failures won't occur.

There are hundreds of thousands of 1.5T engines out there, and this is maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen anyone report a head gasket issue on this forum.

Failures are rare, but they happen. You were unlucky. Probably best you move on with your life.
Very good points on all of them. Except at 80,000 miles, the car is only 20,000 miles past the powertrain warranty. I would push for at least 50%.

·
MT or death
550 Posts
I purchased brand new 2018 accord 1.5t exl from a dealership in PA in late 2018. I financed it for 33k I took care my car meticulously. All service records with the dealership all maintenance intervals. 80,000 miles later the car started to misfire on start up. Took it to the dealership and they found that the antifreeze was leaking into the spark plugs causing the misfire (blown head gasket). Total cost of the repair is $4k and my car was out of warranty. Upon further research through my vin number I discovered my car was assembled in Mexico, which explains the quality control issue. I reached out to Honda corporation to see if they would honor the repair and they offered me a 30% discount which I thought was not fair since it’s a factory defect. I decided to trade it in and move on. I’m sure more and more customers will run into this problem. My Car never overheated never missed an oil change, fresh air filter, cvt drain and fill every 30k, I did everything as a loyal Honda car owner would do to take care of his investment and truly believe this is a manufacturing defect.
Bummer that happened. Very curious, what did they give you for a trade in on it? I ask because they could then put maybe $1500 (their cost) into it, fix the head gasket, and sell it for original MSRP.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yep. Second (creditable ones, at least) thread I've seen on head gasket issues on 10G. These issues typically don't happen to Accords... of any gen.

I would push for at least 50%.
30% is not bad, but I would push for more as well.

Bummer that happened. Very curious, what did they give you for a trade in on it? I ask because they could then put maybe $1500 (their cost) into it, fix the head gasket, and sell it for original MSRP.
I'm guessing he probably got a good deal on the trade-in, so he took that route instead.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
581 Posts
I don’t think blaming it on Mexican factory is fair.

If as a result your car comes in poor quality, you should still blame Honda for setting a lower QC standard at Mexico.

Wish you can move on and happy with your new ride.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

If as a result your car comes in poor quality, you should still blame Honda for setting a lower QC standard at Mexico.

Agree. If anything, blaming Honda for setting a lower QC standard if that is indeed the case. Personally, I’ve found no evidence of that though. I had almost 100k (99.xk) on my 06 that was made in Mexico. Zero major issue the entire time I had the car, which was almost 7 years. I think the cars nowadays are just getting more complex, and as some have said, quality overall may have taken a slight dip. His car being first model probably didn’t help either.

I hope I’m being paranoid, but I personally would be a bit wary of these 1 post folks. I’d be more inclined to believe it with supporting document presented.

Reactions: AccordPirate04

·
Registered
18 Posts
Upon further research through my vin number I discovered my car was assembled in Mexico, which explains the quality control issue.
Would be very curious if anyone has confirmation that 10th gen are even made in Mexico? As far as I've read they haven't been since the 8th gen. A single post that blames Honda and a specific country.....I would agree with Honda2014...let's hear more from OP.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Would be very curious if anyone has confirmation that 10th gen are even made in Mexico? As far as I've read they haven't been since the 8th gen. A single post that blames Honda and a specific country.....I would agree with Honda2014...let's hear more from OP.
That’s right. I know some 7th gen were made there. And I seem to recall All Accords (the ones sold in US) since 9th gen have been all made in Ohio, USA.

Reactions: AccordPirate04

·
8th Gen Believer
4,792 Posts

Actually I think it sucks. My town is 44% Mexican-American. The tech who maintains my Accord is Mexican-American. If this Julioc ever actually KNEW one such person, he'd comment on how hard they work and what a thorough job they do. Keep that bullshit to yourself, HOMBRE.

·
port & polish everything
1,771 Posts
Mexico is probably just a final assembly point, not necessarily where the engine or trans was made. If you still have the window sticker it should tell you where the engine was made.

My family had a 6G accord made in mexico that made it to ~100K no prob before it was wrecked but that was the only one we ever had. We've otherwise had several US and Japan built ones.

This is going to ruffle some feathers but there's this video going on now about the L15 that is a bit of hyperbole but the 1.5T is built relatively weak and then you might have gotten an outlier. He compares the rods, head studs and crank to a K20A, all the internals are twice the size on the K20A and both were factory 200 HP engines.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yep, I had the k20 for a few years in the Civic. IMO it’s one of the most underrated Honda engines ever. It never had any issues in the 44k miles I had the car. Decent to good economy in town (depending on driving style), AMAZING MPG on the highway (40-50 if trying carefully). It has decent pickup for what it is

Actually I think it sucks. My town is 44% Mexican-American. The tech who maintains my Accord is Mexican-American. If this Julioc ever actually KNEW one such person, he'd comment on how hard they work and what a thorough job they do. Keep that bullshit to yourself, HOMBRE.
It’s all good man. He’s probably just a troll. We’ve had a few visit this forum. ;)

·
port & polish everything
1,771 Posts
Reactions: Honda2014
1 - 14 of 14 Posts