Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the weight of the base hybrid OEM wheel? I've tried searches but can't find it.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Thank you. I searched and googled but didn't find that one.

Unsprung weight effect on HAH??

With thanks to zroger73 who found the stock wheel weight, I'm wondering how much effect it would have swapping the 27.4 pound stock wheels with 16.8 pound wheels. I'm pretty sure it would help with easier acceleration which should help mpg some and maybe also on braking performance. Just wondering if there are any engineering types that know the science.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
7th Gen Hybrid wheel weight discussion:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...07-accord-hybrid-wheel-weight-=-19-1-lbs.html

8th Gen (non-hybrid) discussion:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...54-255-40-18-will-fit-light-weight-setup.html

9th gen Hybrid wheel weight discussion:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/274-accord-hybrid-9th-gen/479098-wheel-tire-combo-weight.html

Read post #2 from @Baldeagle:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/178-wheels-suspension-brakes/157202-wheel-weight-effects.html

There are 117 threads on DriveAccord about unsprung weight. SEARCH is our friend! If you ever want the end all discussion on how weight of wheels/tires affect performance, check out the Miata forums- especially the older Miatas. Underpowered cars....their owners are fanatical about wheel weight. Some of the 1990 models had 11 pound wheels!

Reactions: BrianMcCartan

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, if I went from a 49 pound wheel/tire to a 39 pound wheel/tire would it make enough difference to be noticeable and measurable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone, I’m looking to further improve my gas mileage by reducing wheel weight but I can’t seem to find the 2021 hybrid ex-l 17” wheel weights listed online. It would be good to know what my starting point is. I see some ~15lb 17” wheels on tire rack but don’t want to invest if the stock wheels are pretty close in weight. Anyone know?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Reduced wheel/tire weight helps mpg in general, and also helps acceleration a tiny bit. But the 17" hybrid wheels are also designed for good aerodynamics, and a "more open spoke" wheel design can hurt aerodynamics quite a bit. So it's possible for a lighter wheel to get worse mpg on the highway, even if it helps in town....

For example, the 19" wheels used on the Touring Hybrid reduce mpg by around 3 mpg, if I remember right. I think this is mostly attributable to worse aerodynamics, rather than weight....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Reduced wheel/tire weight helps mpg in general, and also helps acceleration a tiny bit. But the 17" hybrid wheels are also designed for good aerodynamics, and a "more open spoke" wheel design can hurt aerodynamics quite a bit. So it's possible for a lighter wheel to get worse mpg on the highway, even if it helps in town....

For example, the 19" wheels used on the Touring Hybrid reduce mpg by around 3 mpg, if I remember right. I think this is mostly attributable to worse aerodynamics, rather than weight....
Weight (unsprung especially since that's what we are talking about as it's directly connected to the drivetrain or what turns the wheels) is actually the biggest killer. I'm about to swap wheels and loose about 9lb per corner. The aerodynamics don't actually help that much in mpg. As usual Tesla has some slight of hand advertising when they say 10% increase in aerodynamics not mpg. It really only translates to a 3-4% increase mpg. So from an aerodynamic standpoint on the hybrid your talking about a 1.6mpg difference. RPF1 Enkei weigh 15lbs and I seriously considering them until they discontinued the bronze color. I'm also going up to a 17x8, but sticking with stock 225/50 ratio. Many of the flow formed Konig weigh about 18lbs. There are several other articles besides this one as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weight (unsprung especially since that's what we are talking about as it's directly connected to the drivetrain or what turns the wheels) is actually the biggest killer. I'm about to swap wheels and loose about 9lb per corner. The aerodynamics don't actually help that much in mpg. As usual Tesla has some slight of hand advertising when they say 10% increase in aerodynamics not mpg. It really only translates to a 3-4% increase mpg. So from an aerodynamic standpoint on the hybrid your talking about a 1.6mpg difference. RPF1 Enkei weigh 15lbs and I seriously considering them until they discontinued the bronze color. I'm also going up to a 17x8, but sticking with stock 225/50 ratio. Many of the flow formed Konig weigh about 18lbs. There are several other articles besides this one as well.

i couldn’t have said it better myself. And I’m looking at those same wheels. 15lb wheel weight is stupid light. That MUST be a greater advantage than aero. Unsprung weight is majorly impactful on performance.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i couldn’t have said it better myself. And I’m looking at those same wheels. 15lb wheel weight is stupid light. That MUST be a greater advantage than aero. Unsprung weight is majorly impactful on performance.
They are nice wheels! And 12lbs per corner savings, providing you stick with a tire that's weighs about 22lbs, is a lot. I wanted Ultragrams but 8 week backorder. Went with the Konig Ampliform at 18lbs and saving 1lb with the Contis. But something tells me they weigh less than advertised all included. Got these in the mail today actually in prep for two weeks from now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are nice wheels! And 12lbs per corner savings, providing you stick with a tire that's weighs about 22lbs, is a lot. I wanted Ultragrams but 8 week backorder. Went with the Konig Ampliform at 18lbs and saving 1lb with the Contis. But something tells me they weigh less than advertised all included. Got these in the mail today actually in prep for two weeks from now. View attachment 531300
Once you get the wheels, please post some pics

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey everyone, I’m looking to further improve my gas mileage by reducing wheel weight but I can’t seem to find the 2021 hybrid ex-l 17” wheel weights listed online. It would be good to know what my starting point is. I see some ~15lb 17” wheels on tire rack but don’t want to invest if the stock wheels are pretty close in weight. Anyone know?
Reducing wheel weight will probably only make a marginal difference in your fuel economy. I don't have time to get into the weeds to explain.
You will probably feel some difference in driving characteristics of the car but the overall impact on the mpg due to the weight saving will be marginal. The increased aerodynamic drag may actually decrease your mpg, particularly at high speeds.

Also consider the cost of the wheels. Assume you replace the wheels and get a 1 mpg increase from 48 EPA to 49 mpg. With average gas prices at $2.5, you would save $212 over 200,000 miles (lifetime of the vehicle). Does it make sense to buy new wheels to save $212 over the lifetime (10+ years?) of a car? That's assuming you actually gain 1 mpg by replacing the wheels, which is unlikely.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes both wheel weight and wheel aerodynamics make very little difference on mpg. If anything would be a wash. But you would get sharper steering and slightly better acceleration as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts