Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a known issue with this model?

I don’t drive aggressively, and my second set of tires are rated for 130,000 kms…. And they’ve barely driven 28,000 kms, but are totally bald on the inside tread.
On the first set that this happened on, the dealership took no responsibility, this time they didn’t install my new setthey’ve checked alignments and everything shows within spec.

Is it possible I’ve just had two crap sets of tires during the life of this car? It’s only got 62,000 kms total!

WTF is going on??

·
Turbo lag
2,504 Posts
Are you rotating your tires regularly? Which tires tends to wear the inside shoulder? Are you carrying a lot of heavy stiff in the trunk all the time? I assume the car is not modified in any way, shape, or form?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,483 Posts
Is this a known issue with this model?
No

I don’t drive aggressively, and my second set of tires are rated for 130,000 kms…. And they’ve barely driven 28,000 kms, but are totally bald on the inside tread.
If they're wearing that quickly, then your alignment (most likely the toe setting) must be off.

... they’ve checked alignments and everything shows within spec.
So they say. Post the alignment report.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you rotating your tires regularly? Which tires tends to wear the inside shoulder? Are you carrying a lot of heavy stiff in the trunk all the time? I assume the car is not modified in any way, shape, or form?
100% rotated every 8-10k.
Both times the issue was found on the tires in the rear, on both tires. No mods, all stock everything.

No

If they're wearing that quickly, then your alignment (most likely the toe setting) must be off.

So they say. Post the alignment report.
I’ve asked for this from the dealer and will post once I’ve got it.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,728 Posts
Don't know about Canadian dealers, but those down here send all alignment jobs to an independent alignment shop.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hmmm that’s interesting.

I mean, I’m only on my second set of tires due to involuntary wheel takeoff (aka theft)… and I had zero issue with tire wear before that. I had about 23k (37k km)and it still had plenty of tread left. I can’t imagine Canadian OE tires being worse…

Are you on OE Michelins? or did you buy something different?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm that’s interesting.

I mean, I’m only on my second set of tires due to involuntary wheel takeoff (aka theft)… and I had zero issue with tire wear before that. I had about 23k (37k km)and it still had plenty of tread left. I can’t imagine Canadian OE tires being worse…

Are you on OE Michelins? or did you buy something different?
The OE Michelins wore out within 30,000 kms. I replaced them with Bridgestone Quiet Tracks which are rated for 130,000 kms.

The exact issue that happened to the Michelins have now happened to the Bridgestones.

Both times, the dealer has shown me alignment reports showing everything in the green.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would take it to another shop like a Firestone. They will check the alignment for free. See what the report shows and post it. If the inside wear is smooth, you have too much negative camber. If the inside wear is choppy - like saw teeth, then you have a toe issue. Regardless, something is going on that isn't normal. Going back to the same shop seems like it will yield the same results. I'd try another reputable shop to check the alignment and see what you are dealing with...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The OE Michelins wore out within 30,000 kms. I replaced them with Bridgestone Quiet Tracks which are rated for 130,000 kms.

The exact issue that happened to the Michelins have now happened to the Bridgestones.

Both times, the dealer has shown me alignment reports showing everything in the green.
That’s definitely not normal. I’d take it to another reputable shop like suggested above if the dealership you’ve been going to can’t find anything wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s definitely not normal. I’d take it to another reputable shop like suggested above if the dealership you’ve been going to can’t find anything wrong.
Is there any way that this problem could be caused by my driving? Honda Canada tried to blame it on my driving because of all the green readings on alignment from the dealership.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Is there any way that this problem could be caused by my driving? Honda Canada tried to blame it on my driving because of all the green readings on alignment from the dealership.
I doubt that’s the issue. I mean, I don’t drive like a bat out of hell, but I don’t drive like a granny all the time either. What’s the point of a 2.0t if we don’t get on it from time to time lol?

I still think it’s bad alignment. Or something wasn’t fixed right after an incident. Have you ever been in an accident in this car or do you drive through potholes on regular basis?

·
Registered
40 Posts
As several others have suggested you have wheel alignment problem, in particular the rear never mind the alignment #s are green and within socalled oem specs.

How you drive or tire quality aren't the issue here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I doubt that’s the issue. I mean, I don’t drive like a bat out of hell, but I don’t drive like a granny all the time either. What’s the point of a 2.0t if we don’t get on it from time to time lol?

I still think it’s bad alignment. Or something wasn’t fixed right after an incident. Have you ever been in an accident in this car or do you drive through potholes on regular basis?
No pothole problems. Every 3rd party I’ve asked has said alignment problems too.

Well, according to the guys at the shop, the alignment isn’t out enough to make the wear on the tires happen.

Before

Computer Office equipment Font Input device Laptop

After

Computer Input device Office equipment Font Laptop

My only annoyance with all this is that the reason the problem came up was because the dealer found the issue during a service appointment - I didn’t ask for a before and after of alignment during that service, so they may have adjusted it and told me a story about it being good.

All they sent were these pics and text saying “we found what was causing that wooshing sound you mentioned”.

Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Looks like I’ll be dealing with Bridgestone on warranty.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Computer Office equipment Font Input device Laptop
Computer Input device Office equipment Font Laptop
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
40 Posts
No pothole problems. Every 3rd party I’ve asked has said alignment problems too.

Well, according to the guys at the shop, the alignment isn’t out enough to make the wear on the tires happen.

Before

View attachment 541151

After

View attachment 541152

My only annoyance with all this is that the reason the problem came up was because the dealer found the issue during a service appointment - I didn’t ask for a before and after of alignment during that service, so they may have adjusted it and told me a story about it being good.

All they sent were these pics and text saying “we found what was causing that wooshing sound you mentioned”.

View attachment 541153

Looks like I’ll be dealing with Bridgestone on warranty. View attachment 541153 View attachment 541154 View attachment 541151 View attachment 541152 View attachment 541153 View attachment 541154
Concur with the shop that the 'before' alignment #s doesn't seem to cause the uneven cupping wear as pictured.

This 'before' alignment of this shop should resembles the 'after' alignment #s of the dealer (prior to the shop alignment todate) with whom I believe has done a good alignment job in resolving the uneven cupping wear of Bridgestone tire.

In the absence of the 'before' alignment #s of the dealer alignment job, my hunch is the current uneven cupping wear was originally caused by a 'bad' alignment #s you inherited at the time of 'new' Bridgestone tire installation (where alignment was not done by the dealer, but by Bridgestone tire installer).

Are you able to secure and post the before and after alignment #s as done by the seemingly competent dealer? ......

Or the after alignment #s by the original installer of Bridgestone?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why is nobody talking about the nearly 2 degrees of camber on the rear even after the alignment.?

What are you carrying in the trunk?

Tire warranty does not cover excess wear due to alignment issues or aggressive driving. Warranty covers manufacturer defects or failures which are often difficult to prove.

Looking at those tires they seem to be at or near end of life based on the wear bars. the average passenger lasts between 20,000 miles on the low end to 35,000 on the high end, of course subject to driving conditions and average speeds.

What's the current thread depth?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,483 Posts
Why is nobody talking about the nearly 2 degrees of camber on the rear even after the alignment.?
Because that camber will not affect tire wear, and especially not like what's shown in those pictures.

What you see in those pictures if from the toe setting being off (circled in yellow). The scallopping is probably from out of balance tires or worn suspension component(s).

Font Office equipment Rectangle Technology Parallel

There's also the issue with the setback (also circled). It should be at zero. So while the car alignment #s may be okay while static, they can be off when the car is moving and turning (known as dynamic).

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Gas

If the tires pictured were new and installed after the alignment was done and that's what they look like now, then hypo11 needs to see if something could be loose or bent, look at suspension components, etc.

·
Honda Newb
219 Posts
Do you really have to rotate your tires every 10,000 km? Because after you do that, at 20,000 km your tires will be even again. So rotate them at 10,000 and then 30,000. At 40,000 they'll be even again so next time after that is 50k, 70k etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because that camber will not affect tire wear, and especially not like what's shown in those pictures.

What you see in those pictures if from the toe setting being off (circled in yellow). The scallopping is probably from out of balance tires or worn suspension component(s).

View attachment 541333

There's also the issue with the setback (also circled). It should be at zero. So while the car alignment #s may be okay while static, they can be off when the car is moving and turning (known as dynamic).

View attachment 541334

If the tires pictured were new and installed after the alignment was done and that's what they look like now, then hypo11 needs to see if something could be loose or bent, look at suspension components, etc.
thanks for this input - I have the original installers taking a look at things this week as well.

the car is only at 62,000 kms. Where would be the best place to check if something is loose or bent? I don’t have a hoist or anything like that.

hopefully the installers can verify something.

What are you carrying in the trunk?

Tire warranty does not cover excess wear due to alignment issues or aggressive driving. Warranty covers manufacturer defects or failures which are often difficult to prove.

Looking at those tires they seem to be at or near end of life based on the wear bars. the average passenger lasts between 20,000 miles on the low end to 35,000 on the high end, of course subject to driving conditions and average speeds.

What's the current thread depth?
Current tread depth:

Front Left: 7 Front Right: 4
Rear Left: 4 Rear Right: 3

1 - 20 of 22 Posts