Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
The Accord Hybrid doesn't have a "transmission" so to speak. It is driven primarily by the electric traction motor.

The engine is used as a generator in most driving until you need full power or the car is at higher highway speeds where a wet clutch joins the engine directly to the wheels. It's the exact same system the CRV hybrid uses, save the power take off for the rear axle in the CRV.
There are many things wrong with this statement.
Yes it has a transmission,(if it didn't he wouldn't have had transmission fluid needing service in the first place)and that electric traction motor is still connected to a countershaft, axel and differential, it's not directly driving the wheels. It doesn't have a "conventional" or common transmission that's true, but it still has one(simply by definition of the word "transmission" in relation to the topic at hand).
No the operation between the three power modes(electric, engine, both) is much more complex than that and depends on many factors. Again there are extensive threads about these topics and not the point of this post. This is simply about the dealership not filling the transmission with the proper spec fluids.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Accord Hybrid doesn't have a "transmission" so to speak. It is driven primarily by the electric traction motor.

The engine is used as a generator in most driving until you need full power or the car is at higher highway speeds where a wet clutch joins the engine directly to the wheels. It's the exact same system the CRV hybrid uses, save the power take off for the rear axle in the CRV.
While fundamentally true, your details are a little wrong and it's a bit more complicated than you imply.

The HAH doesn't have a "transmission"="a device that changes the mechanical gear ratio between engine and wheels." That's the usual meaning when "transmission" is (incorrectly) used to mean a device.

The HAH does have a "transmission"="a device that transmits mechanical power to the wheels." It is more properly called a "transmission system," or in some situations a "transaxle." Here is the one in the HAH and C-RVH:

All of these parts need the lubrication and cooling provided by ATF. The picture comes from

The engine always drives the generator. Sometimes that generator is turned off, so it provides no electricity, or counter-torque. But the purple gear here, and the spline driven through the stack in the foreground, spin anytime the engine is running.

The motor is almost always doing something in the drivetrain. In EV and Hybrid drive, it is all that propels it. In Engine Drive, it acts alternately as a motor or a generator, always adjusting the power from the ICE to get what the car needs. This way it can stay at its most efficient power level even if the car needs more or less power.

But this happens under moderate highway speeds - say, about 45 mph to 75 mph. Outside that range, Hybrid drive is used. And it isn't used when you need full power; it is used when you don't.

And sorry to nitpick, but the the system in the CR-V is the same as the one in the Accord, not the other way around. :) ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Personally I'd consider that fluid to be generic and the additive to be cheap stuff also. The fluid is a universal stuff that Honda obviously doesn't recommend for their stuff. I'd even bet that it is probably $5 a quart or less, which is only barely any cheaper than the Honda fluid can be bought for.

Rob in AZ

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT
176 Posts
I would be livid if my Honda dealer used a non-OEM fluid for my transmission. In this case, considering the design, the e-CVT is probably nowhere near as sensitive to the fluid as a belt-driven CVT. But either way, good job catching the dealership and getting them to redo the service at their expense.

Reactions: AccordPirate04

·
Bigdog
2019 Accord Hybrid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I decided to check my fluid level after all this which I probly should have done sooner but trust me it’s not easy to get your hand down in there from the top at least. And another surprise was that it’s just a plug with no dipstick on it 😳. So I’m not clear on how one actually checks the fluid level on these hybrids transmissions? I know the manual doesn’t describe how to do it..just to take to the dealer. Again the spec for the R&R on this trans is 2.3 quarts. Still wish I knew how much TOTAL fluid is held in this transmission?

·
Registered
594 Posts
So I decided to check my fluid level after all this which I probly should have done sooner but trust me it’s not easy to get your hand down in there from the top at least. And another surprise was that it’s just a plug with no dipstick on it 😳. So I’m not clear on how one actually checks the fluid level on these hybrids transmissions? I know the manual doesn’t describe how to do it..just to take to the dealer. Again the spec for the R&R on this trans is 2.3 quarts. Still wish I knew how much TOTAL fluid is held in this transmission?
You dont its a sealed unit. Been like that for ages. My 01 Audi S4 was the first car that had no transmission dipstick or me. Been like that on all my cars since.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used to work for one of these non-OE automotive fluid/chemical/additive companies and I can say they're ALL trying to get in to dealerships to sell their stuff. They seem to all have some sort of "protection plan" to where they will kick in a certain amount of $$ if something fails that their fluid/additive touches too, which is nice. Like others have said, it's another way for the business to make money whether it's an independent shop or dealership. The parts and/or service departments get spiffs for selling services, techs sometimes get them for doing the services from stickers or something on the product they get.
I think it's BS the OP had this service done without knowing until it was complete. That's garbage. Having replaced so many Honda transmissions in my technician days, I'm not a huge fan of adding conditioners no matter which brand it is to a Honda transmission. I'm sure some lab coat could tell me it's not a big deal but I'm good not adding it to my Honda transmission. I still use and will continue to use some of the other products and do some of the services though.
I remember the first Honda dealer I worked at (years ago) used Quaker State bulk oil and bulk ATF, unless it was a warranty repair then Honda fluid was used. Another one I worked at actually used bulk Honda oil. It's all about that bottom line, not the customer's vehicles unfortunately.

·
Bigdog
2019 Accord Hybrid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
UPDATE:I’m now starting to experience a chugging is the only way I can explain it. Not sure if it is a transmission issue (sure hope not) or something else. Seems to happen at 50-60 and when I’m off and on the gas or basically cruising at one speed?? Definitely noticeable and jerky? Unbelievable and better not be due to earlier service mentioned. Need to take back to stealer and make sure they have fluid level right at the least AND get it documented while it’s below 50K miles the moment. 😳 and they’re all ready not happy with me go figure. This should be good lol bummer for sure. I need to check around here and see if any other hybrids are reporting anything like this as well. Please direct me if you can. TIA

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
UPDATE:I’m now starting to experience a chugging is the only way I can explain it. Not sure if it is a transmission issue (sure hope not) or something else. Seems to happen at 50-60 and when I’m off and on the gas or basically cruising at one speed?? Definitely noticeable and jerky? Unbelievable and better not be due to earlier service mentioned. Need to take back to stealer and make sure they have fluid level right at the least AND get it documented while it’s below 50K miles the moment. 😳 and they’re all ready not happy with me go figure. This should be good lol bummer for sure. I need to check around here and see if any other hybrids are reporting anything like this as well. Please direct me if you can. TIA
It would nearly have to be an electrical problem because the hybrid doesn't have a transmission in the traditional sense. Under the conditions you describe, the vehicle is being powered by an electric motor that is directly driving the front wheels.

·
Bigdog
2019 Accord Hybrid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It would nearly have to be an electrical problem because the hybrid doesn't have a transmission in the traditional sense. Under the conditions you describe, the vehicle is being powered by an electric motor that is directly driving the front wheels.
Well it’s not in EV mode for what it’s worth meaning not lit up on dash gauge at least. I was trying to feel if it seemed be in the trade off to gas but is definitely when the gas engine is being used IMO.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Well it’s not in EV mode for what it’s worth meaning not lit up on dash gauge at least. I was trying to feel if it seemed be in the trade off to gas but is definitely when the gas engine is being used IMO.
Even when not in EV mode, the engine still isn't directly driving the front wheels. Instead, it's used to generate electricity that runs the electric motor that directly drives the front wheels.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If it’s something new differently get it documented in a case to be safe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Odd that it uses same ATF as the 9th gen geared auto trans.
It's not odd. Honda like any other manufacturer wants to reuse parts including fluids to cut costs and logistics, they designed the transmission to use the same fluid on purpose.
You dont its a sealed unit. Been like that for ages. My 01 Audi S4 was the first car that had no transmission dipstick or me. Been like that on all my cars since.
The Honda transmissions have moved to a "sealed" like form factor but instead there is a check hole that you unscrew after filling and assuming you are on level ground, any excess fluid will pour out or you add some extra fluid to meet the right level at the hole.

·
Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid
42 Posts
@bigdog777 , you mentioned that ATF Z1 is the bulk of ATF DW1. In the past, prior to DW-1, Z1 was the non-synthetic form of Honda ATF that was replaced by DW1. Anyhow, your post made me think of that, so I hope what you said is true and not that the dealer had some old Z1 around and screwed up again.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It's not odd. Honda like any other manufacturer wants to reuse parts including fluids to cut costs and logistics, they designed the transmission to use the same fluid on purpose.

The Honda transmissions have moved to a "sealed" like form factor but instead there is a check hole that you unscrew after filling and assuming you are on level ground, any excess fluid will pour out or you add some extra fluid to meet the right level at the hole.
VW is the same. The average person does not check the level. Its meant to have enough fluid in it, then changed after the allotted miles. No adding in between. So this is why there is no dipstick anymore. That hole is there for the technician or person performing the service really.

·
Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid
42 Posts
VW is the same. The average person does not check the level. Its meant to have enough fluid in it, then changed after the allotted miles. No adding in between. So this is why there is no dipstick anymore. That hole is there for the technician or person performing the service really.
BMW's model is "Lifetime Transmission Fluid" which is true. When the fluid stops working well, or leaks out, the transmission will end its life.

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
106 Posts
Access is from the bottom after removing the splash/aero shield.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
558 Posts
My local library. I have access to Chilton and MOTOR online, free of charge.
Can you possibly share the document for changing transmission fluid of our 10th gen Accord hybrid?

My own car is hitting 33k miles after 1 year of use, and I expect to do this at 40k miles.

Thanks!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts