Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
558 Posts
I found the fill hole looking underneath and I saw this short angled hook pointing out. It came out easy and it’s just like a stopper in a bottle.
View attachment 535853
View attachment 535854

15k miles. It slightly darkened, most likely clutch material and break-in metals. I like changing transmission fluid early as the majority of break-in metals occur in the first 10k. There doesn't appear to be any filter, like a manual transmission. I’ll stick with the severe service recommendation of 47.5k from here on out.
Wow 15k is really preventive but I believe it never hurts to do it earlier! Especially you do it at home for basically no cost.

Mine is at 42k and I just have it planned together with next oil change which has 10% left. Maybe it will be suitable to do transmission fluid change every 3-4 oil changes for me!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So why would a dealer recommend I do this at 27k miles for 350 bucks? Is there possibly some filter we don’t know about like on some ATs? Can’t see why there would be. Been going there for oil changes at least while under warranty. Overall the service writer has been good to me (getting me Lyft rides outside their normal range, etc), but this pricing seems really high for basically a drain and fill of 2.5 quarts of AT fluid.

P.S. it may be less than 350. May have been an engine and cabin air filter in that recommendation I declined. Should find out more tomorrow. But still seems high…

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
106 Posts
So why would a dealer recommend I do this at 27k miles for 350 bucks? Is there possibly some filter we don’t know about like on some ATs? Can’t see why there would be. Been going there for oil changes at least while under warranty. Overall the service writer has been good to me (getting me Lyft rides outside their normal range, etc), but this pricing seems really high for basically a drain and fill of 2.5 quarts of AT fluid.

P.S. it may be less than 350. May have been an engine and cabin air filter in that recommendation I declined. Should find out more tomorrow. But still seems high…
Why? Because it’s profitable. Fluid needed is less than $20 and it would take the tech 1/2 hour?

Engine air and cabin air takes less than 10 minutes the first time, depending on how much crap you have in your glovebox. 5 minutes the next time you do it.

Give an independent shop the instructions here, bring your own sealed bottles if you can’t do it yourself.

No serviceable filter in the HAH, just a rock-catcher deep in the case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why? Because it’s profitable. Fluid needed is less than $20 and it would take the tech 1/2 hour?

Engine air and cabin air takes less than 10 minutes the first time, depending on how much crap you have in your glovebox. 5 minutes the next time you do it.

Give an independent shop the instructions here, bring your own sealed bottles if you can’t do it yourself.

No serviceable filter in the HAH, just a rock-catcher deep in the case.
Thanks. This was my suspicion. I used to do some of my own work but have medical issues that make it tough. I have an independent shop that I use for my out of warranty car.

Is there any issues with the hybrid eCVT that would cause it to need changing more often than the maintenance minder recommends (other than the 47.5k mikes recommended in the manual for slow speed mountain driving)? I know some of the Honda/Acura automatic transmissions with the V6 engines have issues (had an 05 TL before this). That’s one of the things that led me to the hybrid (no AT).

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
The eCVT has no torque converter to generate heat and only one clutch that engages while cruising at medium to high speeds to connect the gasoline engine directly to the drive wheels. This results in slower fluid breakdown and less clutch material contamination compared to a CVT or stepped automatic transmission.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts