Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I drove to my local pub with my wife... I got out of the car and my wife left to go shopping at a mall... I was unaware I had the Smart Key in my coat pocket... My wife parked the car at the shopping mall and pressed the red start/off button... never noticing the warning on the instrument panel behind the steering wheel... it was a bright sunny day. After a while, I realized I had the Smart Key in my coat pocket... I called my wife to tell her what had happened. She left the mall store and went to the car and of course she was not able to start the car. Eventually I got a ride from a friend and brought my Smart Key to the mall parking lot and started the car. I would like to meet the Honda engineer who thought this Smart Key was a great idea... at the very least, the car should have emitted a continuous beeping sound

when I got out of the car at the pub so that my wife would have been aware she did not have the key. The engineer is probably the same genius who thought that locking the car when you approach it with the Smart Key in your pocket is a great idea... especially when you are carrying two bags of groceries! Unbelievable.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Both my wife's '16 CRV and my 19' Accord beep loudly when you do this. Maybe neither of you heard it?

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
It happens...post #5 from 4 years ago...

This is in the owner's manual:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Reading your owners manual in order to understand how your car operates not withstanding, ditto all the previous posters about the type of beeping that occurs when you leave the vehicle running with your key on your person. It's really not not obvious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My point was that at the very least the beeping that briefly occurs should be UNENDING until the key fob is in the car if the car is running... I got out of the car at the same time my wife got out of the car to walk around to the drivers side... when she got in the beeping must have stopped... again it should not stop if the key fob is not in the car... the other problem is bizarre... why does the unlocked car lock itself when I approach with the key fob in my pocket? Very annoying when you are carrying bags of groceries...

·
Registered
396 Posts
My point was that at the very least the beeping that briefly occurs should be UNENDING until the key fob is in the car if the car is running...
What? No... If a brief warning isn't enough then you shouldn't be driving at all.
Why does the unlocked car lock itself when I approach with the key fob in my pocket? Very annoying when you are carrying bags of groceries...
The car re-locks itself as a safety feature if unopened after a set amount of time. It sounds like you should set aside some time to read your owners manual to better understand the features of the vehicle you purchased.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My point was that at the very least the beeping that briefly occurs should be UNENDING until the key fob is in the car if the car is running.
Honda can remind you with a bunch of loud, annoying beeps, and they do. I'm not sure how one could miss those beeps.

UNENDING beeping would be a real blast at the car wash, or if I get out to check tire pressures (or do anything else) with the car running. No thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ted Kaczynski may have been right... technology is becoming a monster... what was wrong with having a key fob with a real key that you insert into the ignition switch? How is this Smart Key/ Push Start button an improvement... it just makes things more complicated... more things to remember and less intuitive. Also, I really do not think it reflects well on the moderator/ others to belittle or disparage posters that honestly express their concerns...

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
Ted Kaczynski may have been right... technology is becoming a monster... what was wrong with having a key fob with a real key that you insert into the ignition switch? How is this Smart Key/ Push Start button an improvement... it just makes things more complicated... more things to remember and less intuitive. Also, I really do not think it reflects well on the moderator/ others to belittle or disparage posters that honestly express their concerns...
How exactly are you being belittled?

This is a car forum- the Smart Key has been around for a few years and your complaint is nothing new. Honda put it in the owner's manual. People posted about it years ago. I linked to just one thread.

You titled your thread "Smart key with push button start problems"- implying that there is something wrong with the operation of your Smart key system as designed. It is working as intended.

This thread is for everyone- even years from now, maybe the second or third owner, or a potential buyer. They will read yet another thread complaining about the Smart key system and either learn to recognize the warnings when exiting the vehicle with the key on your person, or maybe they won't buy a car with this system. At the least, thanks to other respondents here, they will know that the car does warn you.

Ted Kaczynski understood technology very, very well. He read the manuals. You proved that it is important to read the manual and make an informed choice. Here is a link to a free copy, online: Owners Manual for | Honda | Honda Owners

·
Registered
844 Posts
The car does not lock as you approach it with the key in your pocket. You likely let enough time lapse that it locked itself (again, my wife's CRV does this). I have been using the smart key feature since 2016 and have never experienced the issues you are stating. It sounds like user error.

The beeping forever would be flat out annoying. Sometimes my wife and I are in the car with our newborn and she forgets something in the house. I take the keys to go into the house and leave the car running. The beeping occurs for maybe 10-15 seconds and then stops. If it went on the entire time I was in the house it would be obnoxious.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I understand your concern and you've been very clear in your opinions. I ask you to consider the possibility that something isn't a step backwards or less intuitive just because you personally prefer the old way. I think this happens each time technology moves forward; those comfortable with the "way it has always been" resist the change.

I'm certain there were people that thought keyless entry was unnecessarily complicated and a waste, because the key can be used to unlock the car. Similarly, antilock brakes are silly if you know how to threshold brake properly. And automatic windows are just another darn thing that can break, and people have grown so lazy that they can't crank a window closed.

The good news -- there are still options for you if you hate smart keys. Base models of some cars still come with a key fob and a key. If this is truly important to you, go shopping for some base model midsized cars and I think you'll be pleased with the results.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A related, interesting question (at least to me) is what would have happened if your wife had her own key fob on her, when she took over driving. I've encountered a few instances of the car being "confused", when both my wife and I have our respective key fobs on us. In one case, she had gotten into the car first, on the passenger side. Then I got in. The car had been unlocked to begin with, sitting in our garage. However, the car thought my wife was driving, and so the seats were in her position. I changed the seats to my settings, using the seat memory button. But the car still thought my wife was driving.

I wanted to use my phone for Waze, but even though I plugged it in, the car still thought my wife was driving, and (if I am remembering right) wouldn't connect Apple Car Play for my phone, even though it was plugged in.....

My first thought was to have my wife put her key in the trunk, but then the car wouldn't allow the trunk to be closed. I basically gave up at that point. What I realized later was that the car would have "switched" to recognizing my key fob as the driver, if I had simply hit the unlock button on my key fob. (I had never done this, since the car was unlocked to begin with....).

Nothing worse than being outsmarted (albeit temporarily) by your car! :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
What I really don't understand is why there is so much confusion about how smart keys operate... Looking at a high level, they work exactly like a traditional key, the biggest exception being that there isn't a thin piece of metal sticking into your ignition. If you handle the key just as you would any physical key, there should be no issues...

If you are unaware of the location of your key, that is the/a problem. The functionality of a smart key is not the/a problem.

If you would like to trade, my GF is looking to sell her 2002 CRV. It comes equipped without the smart key option. It should be noted however, that the key can still be removed without shutting off the ignition (18 years and 190k miles of driving I assume is responsible for this new feature) so you should advise any operators of the vehicle to not remove the key and walk away leaving the engine running, lest you face the same problem you had with your "smart" key.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
it beeps loudly and annoyingly at you the second you close the door without a key in the car. that's the message to stop what you're doing and
A: bring the key back to the car
B: turn the car off because you forgot to do so
C: carry on because you're just getting the mail at the end of the driveway

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"What I really don't understand is why there is so much confusion about how smart keys operate... Looking at a high level, they work exactly like a traditional key, the biggest exception being that there isn't a thin piece of metal sticking into your ignition. If you handle the key just as you would any physical key, there should be no issues..."

The Smart Key does not work like a traditional key... if my 2019 Accord had a traditional key I would have exited the car with the key in the ignition and car still running... my wife would have walked around the car and entered the car on the driver's side... she would have driven off with the key in the ignition...and no problem when she got to the mall and parked the car. Also, when we switched drivers we were in a noisy location... neither of us heard a brief beeping. The problem really is you should not be able to drive away without having the key... just makes no sense!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The problem really is you should not be able to drive away without having the key... just makes no sense!
Yes and no. Tell me how you want that to work? Do you want the engine to shut off once the door closes? once throttle is applied without the key in the car? do you want the car to stall a few feet down the road? a few minutes? this is tricky. what happens if the signal from the key is lost intermittently and then the car shuts off on the road? the responsibility is yours as the owner or driver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Tell me how you want that to work? Do you want the engine to shut off once the door closes? once throttle is applied without the key in the car? do you want the car to stall a few feet down the road? a few minutes? this is tricky. what happens if the signal from the key is lost intermittently and then the car shuts off on the road? the responsibility is yours as the owner or driver."

How do I want it to work?? Very simple... you should NOT be able to drive away without the key being inside the car... Also, what does happen if the signal from the Smart Key is lost? ...this my concern with this kind of technology... suppose the Smart Key battery becomes weak or goes dead...apparently you will be unable to start the car... this could be problematic depending upon where it happens... so how is this Smart Key an improvement over the traditional key??

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Very simple... you should NOT be able to drive away without the key being inside the car...
OK, HOW???? what prevents the car from driving away. I don't see a way to do this that doesn't end in disaster for someone else

If you have the motor shut off when the key exits the car, then you expose the driver to dangerous situations if the battery dies while the car is on the interstate.

You could lock out the transmission from leaving Park, but that only works for automatics, plus opens up other situations where the driver can still be stranded if the key leaves the area with the bearer not realizing what they've done.

Allowing the vehicle to leave without a key is less than ideal, but it leaves the vehicle operable until the key is removed.

The best thing that could be done is to extend the alert period or trigger repeat notifications like the seatbelt alarm, but anything that prevents the vehicle from leaving without a key is just as bad if not worse than allowing it to leave.

You can have only so many nannies in the car. At least now you can't lock your keys in the trunk, be thankful for that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts