Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,223 Posts
Sometimes less is more... keep it simple... I wish I still had my 66 Ford Mustang that I had in my youth... straight 6... easy to work on ...simplicity itself... no Smart Key technology!
Honda has made a serious error here with their Smart Key technology... no car should be able to be driven away without the key present in the car... it is just plain dumb.
:whistle:

·
Registered
2 Posts
How exactly are you being belittled?

This is a car forum- the Smart Key has been around for a few years and your complaint is nothing new. Honda put it in the owner's manual. People posted about it years ago. I linked to just one thread.

You titled your thread "Smart key with push button start problems"- implying that there is something wrong with the operation of your Smart key system as designed. It is working as intended.

This thread is for everyone- even years from now, maybe the second or third owner, or a potential buyer. They will read yet another thread complaining about the Smart key system and either learn to recognize the warnings when exiting the vehicle with the key on your person, or maybe they won't buy a car with this system. At the least, thanks to other respondents here, they will know that the car does warn you.

Ted Kaczynski understood technology very, very well. He read the manuals. You proved that it is important to read the manual and make an informed choice. Here is a link to a free copy, online: Owners Manual for | Honda | Honda Owners

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,052 Posts
I am not a Luddite or a follower of Ted Kacyznski... but he may have been correct about advancing technology being a monster... in any event, Honda has made a serious error here with their Smart Key technology... no car should be able to be driven away without the key present in the car... it is just plain dumb.
Well too bad I don't have my Corolla anymore, otherwise you would have been a good buyer, LOL. No pesky technology like powered windows, remote locks or ABS.

If it bothers you that much then I don't see much of a choice other than somehow hacking a keyed system into the car, or just selling the car.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Read through part of the discussion and glanced over another part. My only contributions. One is so obvious. We need to read the manual to understand how these things work. What is their logic and why their response is as it is. And then my other contribution is that we need to practice everything that can happen or at least we can think of. All the possible scenarios. I have actually tried in my 2017 Accord EX what happens if both keys are present when the car starts and one key leaves, or what happens if the key that started it is replaced by the other key without turning off the engine and drive away. My car does not care which key is present. It will be happy as long as one key present. I know that the car beeps loudly if you close the door and the key is not present but if you board the car without the key, you cannot hear the beeps with the radio and A/C on so it is mostly pointless inside the car. But it keeps flashing "NO KEY" in the dashboard. Granted, it should have an audible indication inside too because the tiny flashing NO KEY is easy to miss. I have rented other brand cars that make a loud sound inside if the key leaves the car.

Also we should all practice how to unlock and start the engine with a dead key fob. Go remove the battery. Unlock using the physical key and practice starting the engine holding the key fob next to the button until the light on it turns green. I have practiced it and know what to expect if it ever happens in the future.

Still have not practiced how unlock the shift lever from Park with engine off.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Don't know if you'll like this "fix" any better than any of the other ideas that have been suggested, but I concur, this was entirely user error, and it's on both of you...Sorry...

Buy yourself a Faraday key fob bag. (Google them.) Put your spare fob inside that bag and hide it somewhere inside the car. The bag will stop the fob from sending signals that -potentially- could interfere if both fobs are in range of the Push/Start system at the same time. That way, if one of you wanders off with the "in use" fob, the other driver can retrieve the hidden fob and go merrily on their way. Just keep in mind you'll need to hide it carefully because a smash/grab thief might find it...

Given all the times the immobilizer system in my '98 Accord randomly locked the doors while the key was inside with the engine off, the new smart key in my '16 is a vast improvement. This one beeps when I exit the car with the key inside so I don't repeat my mistake. (Honda never did find/fix all the electrical problems with the '98 and eventually took the car back under the CA Lemon Law...)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts