Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
, I just purchased a 2019 honda accord sport 4 months ago, had less than 5000 miles. I was on the highway and as I was driving, the car caught fire. Sks, honda wont work with me for a replacement, idk what to do. Anyone have any ideas? My insurance is paying for the car, but I lost over 10k in this car. I almost died.. I didnt get hurt because a truck driver saved me. The doors wouldn't open I guess cause the wiring burned and didnt let me open the windows or locks, they said I cannot sue because I didnt get hurt. What bs. What if I had my kids in the car seats in the back, this car went up in a matter of minutes. They would be dead right now. I loved the car, but it's not fair honda wont work with me. I didnt see the fire because I was doing 65 on the highway, and a truck driver said the whole bottom of my car and rear was on fire, he said I'm lucky I didnt explode. Any help in this matter? Or am I taking a lose? I didnt have the option on my insurance to cover stuff or add ons to my car, I didnt think I needed it, car was only 4 months old. All i ask honda for is a replacement, same car, same payments. Not asking for much, pls any advice? What would you do? The only upgrade I had on this car was tints, lip, and window guards. Shame I have to lose 6000.00 to drive a car 4 months and this happens. I looked and honda has a reputation for cars burning. To me they should help, why do I have to get 1st degree burns or die for help? Lucky I made it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Not sure I fully understand your math. The car was probably worth $20,000 when you bought it. How much are you being reimbursed by insurance? Not sure how you can lose $10,000 in only four months. Glad you weren’t injured and made it out of the car OK.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It would be good to find out what caused the fire if that's possible. Very glad to hear no one got harmed.

One. I'd submit a complain to nhtsa about the fire.
Two. I'd speak with a lawyer and find out what my options are.

·
NextCruise
35 Posts
Can you provide more details on your insurance? Are you saying you did not have comprehensive coverage? Comprehensive will pay for the non-collision damage to your car (less the deductible). Honda won't cover your damages unless you have iron clad evidence that they were responsible.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Sorry this happened. This is obviously very unusual, so I hope you will post your insurance company's findings if they dig into why this happened. I wonder if something flammable got stuck on the bottom of your car/exhaust, or you hit something and caused a fuel leak somehow.

Unfortunately, Honda has nothing to do with how you chose to finance your car, what you put down on it, or what it was worth when it went full Ghost Rider. Your locks work manually even if your electronics get fried -- it isn't Honda's fault that you didn't know you could manually move the little lever from lock to unlock. This isn't a lemon law case, and you're going to need to demonstrate that there was something mechanically wrong with the car to cause the fire before Honda will step up to the plate.

And, despite what Google may have told you, Honda doesn't have a reputation for cars that burst into flames. Your bad luck doesn't have to be someone else's fault. Find out what caused the fire, and then start pointing fingers.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,883 Posts
All i ask honda for is a replacement, same car, same payments.
Honda doesn't owe you anything. Especially if you already made an insurance claim, and your insurance is paying out.

If your house burns down, you don't get a brand new house from the people who built the old one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm slightly confused as to how you were trapped inside long enough for the tow truck driver to arrive and save you? That must have been the quickest tow truck response of all time. As others have said you could have manually unlocked the door. You also could have broken the window.

Is it even possible to buy a brand new car and not have comprehensive coverage? Would an insurance company allow this? Something isn't adding up.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,161 Posts
So does that mean you won't be getting 22's anymore? :p

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,883 Posts
They said their insurance is paying for the car, so they most likely had comprehensive. Driving without comprehensive coverage would have meant zero payout from insurance over this incident.

I think what they meant by "I didnt have the option on my insurance to cover stuff or add ons to my car" was they didn't have additional parts coverage/coverage on personal items left in the car, or something. Personal items stolen from or damaged inside the car are not covered by car insurance (they are typically covered by homeowner's or renter's insurance, however). So they are probably saying that they're mad that they weren't compensated for whatever aftermarket parts were added to the car after purchase ("tints, lip, and window guards"), and whatever personal items were left in the car that were most likely destroyed by the fire.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your homeowners or renters insurance should cover the private stuff and addon parts if you have proof of purchase, of you have one. The point of insurance is to replace what was damaged not so that you get ahead. Not sure how your loosing money. First it was $10k then $6k. The parts you said you installed did not cost that much so not can't really tell where you are getting your math from. Of course you can sue that is everyone's right. What you probably meant is the insurance company isn't going to pay for you sueing them. Maybe you should sit down with your broker/agent and talk about coverages and how your insurance really works so this doesn't happen again.
Edit: Also this isn't the movies cars don't explode ROFL.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,161 Posts
I'm slightly confused as to how you were trapped inside long enough for the tow truck driver to arrive and save you? That must have been the quickest tow truck response of all time. As others have said you could have manually unlocked the door. You also could have broken the window.
Where are you getting "tow truck driver" from? There isn't a single mention of a tow truck anywhere.

Is it even possible to buy a brand new car and not have comprehensive coverage? Would an insurance company allow this? Something isn't adding up.
If you own the car, you don't have to buy comprehensive coverage. It's usually required if car is a lease or being financed.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,883 Posts
Maybe you should sit down with your broker/agent and talk about coverages and how your insurance really works so this doesn't happen again.
Edit: Also this isn't the movies cars don't explode ROFL.
THIS AND THIS. My gawd.

You don't even know how rustled my jimmies get when people complain about insurance, but didn't even take the ten minutes or so it takes to READ their insurance coverage packet... Insurance is not that hard to understand and insurance companies are NOT "out to get you".

·
Registered
94 Posts
THIS AND THIS. My gawd.

You don't even know how rustled my jimmies get when people complain about insurance, but didn't even take the ten minutes or so it takes to READ their insurance coverage packet... Insurance is not that hard to understand and insurance companies are NOT "out to get you".
I found that most people don't friggin care about the coverage just shop for the lowest price. I had a lady buy a policy once and sign it. Got into an accident then said she didn't know she didn't have full coverage.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Great that you got out. Like others I'd like to know the root cause.

Contact your local newsies and tell them all about it and your frustration with Honda. Good that you have photos - that's always great on TV and websites.

Who told you you couldn't sue? Honda? if so then: ROFL! If the car is under warranty (should be) then catching fire seems like a major failure to me.

What add ons? Could any of the add ons you put in affect the electrical system or fuel system or other systems?

Anyway, the majority here are not lawyers, least of all in your jurisdiction. So - contact a lawyer. (If he foams at the mouth to go for it, beware and get another opinion).

And not sure about this "reputation for catching on fire". Sure you're not driving a Hyundai?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I looked and honda has a reputation for cars burning. To me they should help, why do I have to get 1st degree burns or die for help? Lucky I made it out.
Unless you can prove that your particular vehicle has some sort of defect that lead to the fire, or that this model is more prone to fires than others (of which there is zero evidence) you're out of luck. Who's to say that some sort of modification that you made didn't cause the fire? Or maybe you left a rag in the engine compartment?

Not saying that's what happened, but Honda isn't going to be responsible unless you can prove a defect or faulty design. Your insurance is going to reimburse you for the value of your car. Some insurance providers offer coverage like "new car replacement." I don't know all of the details and I'm sure each carrier is different, but you may want to look into that for your next vehicle.

Now if you were in a Hyundai/Kia who's cars actually do have a strong reputation for catching fire, then it would be a different story.

You may want to consider reporting it to NHTSA. Only when multiple complaints are made do most defects come to light.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Unless you can prove that your particular vehicle has some sort of defect that lead to the fire, or that this model is more prone to fires than others (of which there is zero evidence) you're out of luck. Who's to say that some sort of modification that you made didn't cause the fire? Or maybe you left a rag in the engine compartment?

Not saying that's what happened, but Honda isn't going to be responsible unless you can prove a defect or faulty design. Your insurance is going to reimburse you for the value of your car. Some insurance providers offer coverage like "new car replacement." I don't know all of the details and I'm sure each carrier is different, but you may want to look into that for your next vehicle.
New car replacement is just another gimmick or add on. They simply give you additional money equal to the difference between one model year newer than yours. In this case it would be pretty hard to find a used 2020.
I'm curious if a catch can was one of the addons.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Where are you getting "tow truck driver" from? There isn't a single mention of a tow truck anywhere.

If you own the car, you don't have to buy comprehensive coverage. It's usually required if car is a lease or being financed.
Reding fail. Thought it said tow truck.

And yeah I assume the car was financed which would require comprehensive, but should not have assumed.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts