Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I purchased my 2020 Accord this last January, and absolutely love the car. I have always been an accord fan and I wanted to get one with a manual transmission before the option was discontinued (turns out my timing could not have been better). I usually only drive the car a couple times of a week and have only accrued 3,000 miles since purchase.

Recently, I noticed a "squeal" when using the clutch to shift into and out of third gear. The "squeal" is similar to that standard brake noise that city buses have when pulling up to a stop - but much quieter.

The noise is most pronounced when the car is cold, but still noticeable when warm. I don't notice it when shifting into any gear besides third. Unfortunately, this sounds like a transmission problem, since a throw out bearing, or clutch problem would likely make noise for all gears. I dropped the car off this morning at the dealer... hopefully they can replicate the noise and determine a solution.

Had anyone here had a similar issue? Is the transmission in the 1.5 the same as whats in the 2.0? I really hope they don't have to tear into my brand new car - If they have to drop the transmission, there are a ton of parts that have to be reinstalled correctly!

Thanks for reading, I will post a followup when I know more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still haven't heard back from the dealer, will be stopping by after work to check in on it. Hopefully they were able to replicate the noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where are you located?

If the dealer can fix the tranny problem, I will bring my car in for repairing reverse gear lock out.

Yes, sometimes I can see infortament screen displaying back up view at 70mph+ shifting from 5th to 6th(pass the 6th gear position then reverse, grind) for 1/2 sec.

Went 4 dealers in s.cal, no luck finding tech who admits faulty solenoid.

I hope they replace your car tranny.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: The transmission had a third gear internal bearing fail. They will be replacing the transmission under warranty. Should take about 1 week to get the parts and finish the install. My only real concern is that they do it 100% correctly.

The technician who looked at my car owns a 2019 Civic Type R, which has the same transmission (but with the LSD). He said he also had to have his replaced - but he blamed it on his driving style, and didn't say what the failure was.

My Accord was babied to 3000 miles, no street racing or slamming gears. I would assume this was a fluke failure with a faulty bearing. Hopefully we don't see this pop up more frequently - I still don't know if the 1.5T uses the same transmission as the 2.0T and the Type R.

@LunaticAgTT6MT I don't live anywhere near California, sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this was a fluke. I've got 23k on my 2019 and shifts smooth. I don't beat on it either and drive it properly with rev matched down shifts etc. I love the car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Update: The transmission had a third gear internal bearing fail. They will be replacing the transmission under warranty. Should take about 1 week to get the parts and finish the install. My only real concern is that they do it 100% correctly.

The technician who looked at my car owns a 2019 Civic Type R, which has the same transmission (but with the LSD). He said he also had to have his replaced - but he blamed it on his driving style, and didn't say what the failure was.

My Accord was babied to 3000 miles, no street racing or slamming gears. I would assume this was a fluke failure with a faulty bearing. Hopefully we don't see this pop up more frequently - I still don't know if the 1.5T uses the same transmission as the 2.0T and the Type R.

@LunaticAgTT6MT I don't live anywhere near California, sorry.
I wonder if the technician had the issue with the grind going into 2nd gear:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for this thread. No problems with my 2020 2.0 manual so far, with 4700 miles on the clock. Glad your car is being fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the car back from the dealer today, no issues with third gear. The service guys were nice and are real enthusiasts about the brand. It did take a little longer than expected but not a big deal. Hopefully no other problems pop up!

@spiff72 I'm not sure. The guy who owns the Type R at the shop definitely rides his car to the limit. In my new and old transmission, the gear shifting is not super smooth. I have just assumed this is how these transmissions are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately, after having the car for 100 miles or so the noise has come back. Same feint whine from third gear. It's definitely quieter than before, but that's how it started off last time. My guess is they rebuilt the previous transmission rather than replacing it. I will be calling them after work and dropping it off once more.... I must be extremely unlucky.

To add more context, my commute to work is 14 miles of highway, 1-2 miles of residential. I barely even use third gear.

Will update when I find out more.

·
VCM DELETE
708 Posts
Unfortunately, after having the car for 100 miles or so the noise has come back. Same feint whine from third gear. It's definitely quieter than before, but that's how it started off last time. My guess is they rebuilt the previous transmission rather than replacing it. I will be calling them after work and dropping it off once more.... I must be extremely unlucky.

To add more context, my commute to work is 14 miles of highway, 1-2 miles of residential. I barely even use third gear.

Will update when I find out more.
Do you have a lemon law in your state?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I live in Montana. According to the law, the car will qualify if:
  1. Has a defect or condition covered by warranty that impairs its use, value or safety and
  2. That defect is reported to the manufacturer within the first two years or the first 18,000 miles and
  3. The same defect has been subject to repair four times but still exists or the vehicle has been out of service for repairs for a total of 30 business days.

What sucks about that, is its very likely to exceed 30 days if it takes them two weeks to do the transmission again. Its also impossible to find a replacement 2020 accord 2.0 6MT at this point. : (

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Confirmed that the new transmission was in fact an OE replacement, and has the same bearing failure as the previous transmission. We are waiting for direction from Corporate.

The service tech who had a faulty transmission in his Type-R, also had his second transmission fail. His problem is different - it howls in first and second when taking his foot off the gas. Honda has told them they have to do a full tear down of his transmission before issuing a second replacement.

It seems like there could be something out of spec in these newer transmissions or perhaps the bearing material was contaminated from the supplier? But my problem is very different than his.

Might be a while before I find out more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: The service techs got word from corporate. They told them the noise is a non issue and is a result of the ceramic clutch taking the load from the third gear shaft (which is shared with the output shaft) - the noise is a normal function of the vehicle.

I am pretty devastated by this response. Honda is washing their hands of any problems saying its not an issue. I cannot believe this is the response from a company that I admired for their engineering and quality.

I was told by the local service tech that all I can do is drive it until I see bearing material in the transmission again. We both know that this noise is not normal, and that it is literally the same noise as in the previous transmission. They don't even have a dip stick for the fluid so I will be forced to crawl under it and check the fluid that way. What a joke.

·
VCM DELETE
708 Posts
Maybe you should get legal representation? Seriously.
That's totally unacceptable for a 2020 vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have reached out to Honda customer support, I don't know if their response will be any different or not. I am not sure I have any legal recourse since the vehicle hasn't qualified under lemon law as of yet. I will be exploring every avenue possible to find a solution. It hurts to think that I am investing $32,000 into this thing.

Also, I am 90% sure that the clutch used in the accord is organic and there is no way they would put a ceramic clutch into a family sedan. The driving quality is nothing like a ceramic clutch.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,674 Posts
MTs are seemingly not built well anymore. Mine feels like it has plastic internals and 2nd has always been notchy - SOMETIMES. Just drive yours until it fails and have them warranty it. I don’t worry about mine anymore, I just shift the thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For me, this was my first new vehicle. I trusted that Honda would have better customer support than this. I had no intention of trading in the vehicle or selling it, which means my warranty could expire by the time the transmission fails. Its hard for me to just willingly drive the vehicle until it breaks, knowing that something is wrong with it from the start.

·
2.0T
45 Posts
For me, this was my first new vehicle. I trusted that Honda would have better customer support than this. I had no intention of trading in the vehicle or selling it, which means my warranty could expire by the time the transmission fails. Its hard for me to just willingly drive the vehicle until it breaks, knowing that something is wrong with it from the start.
I hear you on that. I've had my transmission replaced (10spd AT), head unit issues, and now am having suspension issues. The driver's side front strut started squeaking so they replaced it 6 months ago. The problem has returned once again and my car has been at the dealer for the last 2 weeks. All this with less than 9,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts