Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,679 Posts
For me, this was my first new vehicle. I trusted that Honda would have better customer support than this. I had no intention of trading in the vehicle or selling it, which means my warranty could expire by the time the transmission fails. Its hard for me to just willingly drive the vehicle until it breaks, knowing that something is wrong with it from the start.
If it fails out of warranty and you want to keep the car, just replace it with one from LKQ - like people used to do.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,109 Posts
Had an 03 V6 AT coupe. The late 7th gen was infamous for awful bad ATs. The dealer replaced it ,,, with another bad transmission. You won't know unless the new one goes bad when you're out of warranty. If it were me, I'd make the dealer take it in trade, with very little $ difference, for a model with AT. Honda makes pretty good vehicles but when they fu, er, mess up, it's really awful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update: The service techs got word from corporate. They told them the noise is a non issue and is a result of the ceramic clutch taking the load from the third gear shaft (which is shared with the output shaft) - the noise is a normal function of the vehicle.

I am pretty devastated by this response. Honda is washing their hands of any problems saying its not an issue. I cannot believe this is the response from a company that I admired for their engineering and quality.

I was told by the local service tech that all I can do is drive it until I see bearing material in the transmission again. We both know that this noise is not normal, and that it is literally the same noise as in the previous transmission. They don't even have a dip stick for the fluid so I will be forced to crawl under it and check the fluid that way. What a joke.
That Is a total brush off. It makes no sense. If it was a normal noise why did Honda pay to put a new transmission in the first time??? So either they replaced a transmission for fun or they are hoping they can push you off until its out of warranty. Not a good look for Honda or the dealership in my opinion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There was a thread here about a year ago or so that went into this matter. I hate to say it but Honda might not be lying or deflecting. I wish I could find the thread. Lots of 6MT owners were reporting a "hum" while in gear while coasting (foot off the gas during shifting or coming to a light). Try recording it (windows up, radio and HVAC off) and post it here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@slimm1469 Yeah I just really wanted to get a manual before they discontinue them completely. Its becoming increasingly difficult to find decent cars with a manual anymore. I'm sure the AT is more reliable at this point.

@Ridered4583 Agree completely. That's why I was so upset when they told me that. Plus it just doesn't make any sense.

@overlord So I know what noise you are talking about, and its similar to the noise that the tech has in his Civic Type R. The noise from my transmission is not a constant wine. As of right now, it's only making that noise when releasing the clutch in third gear. It might progress worse into a constant wine.

Update: I reached out to Honda Customer service about the issue and finally got a call back over a week later last Friday. They called me at 9:58 while I was at work, and they told me that "unfortunately because I didn't answer them, they won't be able to call me back until 9/28 due to the volume of calls they have".

I was at work, literally unable to answer the call immediately. I called the number back at 10:01 and couldn't get anyone to answer. I left a message and called back several times throughout the day. I can't believe this crap. Another two week delay because I barely missed a damn phone call??? I will never buy another Honda.

·
VCM DELETE
710 Posts
Is this why they are getting rid of the 6MT Accords for 2021? Too much of a headache b/c they cant get the manual trans right?

There was a guy in the local Honda dealer with a Civic Type R who was really upset, had the car in 5x in a period of 2 months for transmission issues.
He was on the phone with someone and he ended with "ill money shift this B and Honda can buy it back and ill go get a supra" I thought that was an interesting train of thought. :oops:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@scar_cle I forget which article it was, maybe from Jalopnick or Car and Driver, but supposedly only 12,000 manual transmission accords sold between 2018-2020. Something like 2% of sales. Though I am sure it doesn't help that they are constantly replacing them.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,679 Posts
MTs seem to be manufactured as cheaply as possible. They’d make them out of plastic and paper if they could.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So far so good with a 2018 2.0 manual. 20,000+ miles and clutch is good and shifts are almost always smooth with a rare notchy feel 2nd to 3rd. No whine in any gear and downshifts are fine and never at high RPM's. I do an occasional Italian tune-up but don't speed shift to a higher gear.

I believe the 'notchy' feel is because of the way I sometimes make the 2-3 shift. I think I try to guide the shift rather than just let the linkage do its thing and go into 3rd without my help. So I blame myself rather than the transmission or the linkage.

For sure the Accord manual does not measure up to the S2000 (never drove a Civic R manual) but I expect it will last until I trade for something else. Just hope that when the time comes there is something to choose from other than variations of a CVT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update: I just want to say thanks for everyone's input on the matter, and hopefully this is not a problem other people have to deal with. I had to reach out to Honda's customer service manager to get them to review my case and call me back. I got a call back earlier this morning.

Honda's official stance: The noise may cause a transmission failure, but until it does they - will not be replacing the transmission. If the transmission does fail within the 60,000 mile warranty, they will replace it. They are not obligated to do anything beyond that. They double downed that the noise could just be a characteristic of the transmission and I have no proof otherwise.

They will not be offering a new transmission, an extended warranty, or offer to buy back the vehicle. End of discussion.

At this point I am at a loss of what to do next. I will be weighing my options and hopefully figure something out. I could take it through a third party mediator or to a lawyer, but at this point I am exhausted trying to fight it. Sometimes we get drawn a bad hand.

·
MT or death
125 Posts
Honestly, if I were you I would just enjoy the heck out of it until 60k and then sell it. No sense losing money on it when it's practically new by trading it in (aka dealership donation). As the final year of the MT with very low production numbers, there WILL be eager buyers waiting for it even in a couple years. There at least must be some enjoyment in driving the "forbidden fruit" so to speak.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Honestly, if I were you I would just enjoy the heck out of it until 60k and then sell it. No sense losing money on it when it's practically new by trading it in (aka dealership donation). As the final year of the MT with very low production numbers, there WILL be eager buyers waiting for it even in a couple years. There at least must be some enjoyment in driving the "forbidden fruit" so to speak.
This guy is right. Drive it, forget the noise, enjoy the car, don't intentionally try to break it like that guy on the phone with "money shift", that's just infantile. You have 5 years and 60K miles. Or if you really can't stand it and I've been there (new car with flaw), maybe selling is a way to go. But I don't think there's a car out there that is flawless and perfect. I also agree that the manual Accord will be worth more money than AT now that they're discontinued.

My question is, if they put in an entirely new transmission, why would you still have that SAME exact noise in the same exact gear. Could it be a clutch or some other component? Don't know enough, just wondering if that's possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah at this point I am with you guys. I am just going to try and enjoy and make a decision on it later - it should retain its value well. Everything else about the car is awesome, driving it around has made me hate it less. The 2.0 turbo is so damn good.

@overlord I'm not 100% sure but just mechanically speaking, it doesn't make any sense for the noise to be coming from something other than the transmission. Maybe someone down the road will manufacture a beefed up version.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts